2006 Canadian Tacoma Build

heeltoe989

Explorer
Well, I went to Calgary in my Tacoma and came back in my courtesy Camry.

The dealership discovered an small oil leak in the timing chain case. Which they are fixing under warranty. You could see where it had been leaking on the passenger side. After talking with Sam the shop foreman we agreed that it would be good to go though the whole truck from top to bottom to make sure that there was nothing else wrong or leaking before the supercharger goes on. Makes sense. So they have given me a courtesy car for the whole time they have my truck.
According to Sam the truck should be all done on Tuesday. The dealership has been wicked, certainly restores my faith in dealership service. I'm just glad that they are taking there time and making sure nothing will go wrong when the supercharger goes on.

heeltoe989

Explorer
Supercharger At Last!!!

Finally got the truck back yesterday and oh what a difference! I wish it should have come like this from the factory. My truck doesn't seem to struggle on the highway anymore. I'll leave it the way it is now until spring and then do a URD MAF/MAP tuner and then do a little tuning at the shop for a bit more Jam:)

On the drive back I seem to get better mileage too. I'll do some real testing in the spring on that theory.

Just wanted to thank a few people for that help me along the way with this mod.

Shannon Brookshire - TTORA & Champion Toyota

Brian, Sam & Gary - Country Hills Toyota Calgary for doing the job and a great job they did. A killer dealership with the best service I've had from any dealership.

TRD USA for helping out Country Hills Toyota, when Toyota Canada was NO HELP to me!

Sorry for the dirty truck and engine, its very hard to keep anything clean in a Canadian winter.

Enjoy.

:wings: :jumping:

Last edited:

keezer36

Adventurer
heeltoe - Do you see anything preventing the Intercoller Pump (by the Master Cylinder) being located on the passenger side of the engine compartment, other than possible hose length? I've an aux fuse block currently residing on the driver side.

If you could, would you take a photo of the Heat Exchanger? I've a trans cooler w/fan I have to work around.

I'm very interested in your gas milage numbers. I've been under the assumption that it would be worse!

Thank You - Keezer

heeltoe989

Explorer
keezer36 said:
heeltoe - Do you see anything preventing the Intercoller Pump (by the Master Cylinder) being located on the passenger side of the engine compartment, other than possible hose length? I've an aux fuse block currently residing on the driver side.

If you could, would you take a photo of the Heat Exchanger? I've a trans cooler w/fan I have to work around.

I'm very interested in your gas milage numbers. I've been under the assumption that it would be worse!

Thank You - Keezer

the new intercooler pump sits just below the heat exchanger on a bracket supplied in the kit and is about 3 inches away from the winch drum. I wouldn't see a problem moving the fill tank other than hose length. I've also got the Toyota Aux trans cooler and an electric fan in the truck and there were no fit problems with either of those items.

I think there was more room because of the big rotating fan is gone. When I have some time I'll snap a picture. I'll have to pull the grill off for a good picture. You might have to wait a while as the weather is pretty cold and my truck doesn't fit in the garage with the door closed, but I'll do my best. I'll also answer any question about the kit to anybody and everybody.

As for mileage, allot of people might think that adding a supercharger you might get worse mileage, but the way I look at it is that with the HP boost the engine isn't working as hard to move the truck. I'm sure if you really womped on it all afternoon you could go through a tank of gas really quick, but Its a Tacoma not a Supra :). its job is to carry gear and wheel and get me back home.

keezer36

Adventurer
heeltoe989 said:
When I have some time I'll snap a picture. I'll have to pull the grill off for a good picture. You might have to wait a while as the weather is pretty cold and my truck doesn't fit in the garage with the door closed, but I'll do my best.

Yes, looking at your first picture with the life support running out there, I felt a bit guilty just for asking.
No hurry. Thanks.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
heeltoe989 said:
the new intercooler pump sits just below the heat exchanger on a bracket supplied in the kit and is about 3 inches away from the winch drum. I wouldn't see a problem moving the fill tank other than hose length. I've also got the Toyota Aux trans cooler and an electric fan in the truck and there were no fit problems with either of those items.

I think there was more room because of the big rotating fan is gone. When I have some time I'll snap a picture. I'll have to pull the grill off for a good picture. You might have to wait a while as the weather is pretty cold and my truck doesn't fit in the garage with the door closed, but I'll do my best. I'll also answer any question about the kit to anybody and everybody.

As for mileage, allot of people might think that adding a supercharger you might get worse mileage, but the way I look at it is that with the HP boost the engine isn't working as hard to move the truck. I'm sure if you really womped on it all afternoon you could go through a tank of gas really quick, but Its a Tacoma not a Supra :). its job is to carry gear and wheel and get me back home.

Very cool heeltoe! Looks great, and surely drives even better. :rally_guys: I know a guy around here that just installed one in his FJC, and he had some fitament issues with his ARB and winch. Sounds like your clearances were tight, but nothing had to be relocated?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
The supercharger is one of the most fun, use-it-everyday, mods that I have.

I'm surprised to hear some new Taco owners with the 4.0 mentioning dissatisfaction with the available horsepower. When I test drove a new Tacoma with the 4.0, I thought it had as much kick as my SC'd 3.4ltr.

But hey, who doesn't love more horsepower? :chowtime:

So congrats! Seems like it was a headache to get it, but that's all behind you know. Enjoy -

heeltoe989

Explorer
kcowyo said:
The supercharger is one of the most fun, use-it-everyday, mods that I have.

I'm surprised to hear some new Taco owners with the 4.0 mentioning dissatisfaction with the available horsepower. When I test drove a new Tacoma with the 4.0, I thought it had as much kick as my SC'd 3.4ltr.

But hey, who doesn't love more horsepower? :chowtime:

So congrats! Seems like it was a headache to get it, but that's all behind you know. Enjoy -

yeah I didn't have any problems with my truck when it was stock. But you know how it goes, ARB, winch, sliders, custom skids, bigger tires, it all adds up to more weight, and well when the truck is loaded up with gear its even more. The new supercharger takes care of all that and more. Granted its not and x-runner, its a 6500lbs expedition truck when loaded, 5500lbs dry. What'a a runner 3500;bs wet.

It was a pain in the *** but after dealing with Country hills Toyota it became allot easier and I started to relax more cause my truck was in good hands.

Its the best mod I've made, sure it was 5K all said and done, but oh well, something unique in this neck of the woods. I can't imagine anything like in Canada right now and I'm pretty sure I'm the first 4.0 SC, but I could be wrong. :)

Now on to the rear bumper when it warms up :Mechanic:

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
Glad to see you finally got the SC installed!! :wings:
Can the truck hold it's rpm/gear better when going up passes/incline? The thing with a loaded Taco bothers me is that when the road starts to go up, it shifts to 4th and the rpm keeps dropping and eventually it's shifts to 3rd and screaming at 4500rpm. It gets a little noise after 20mins in the mountain. Does SC help this situation??

heeltoe989

Explorer
slooowr6 said:
Glad to see you finally got the SC installed!! :wings:
Can the truck hold it's rpm/gear better when going up passes/incline? The thing with a loaded Taco bothers me is that when the road starts to go up, it shifts to 4th and the rpm keeps dropping and eventually it's shifts to 3rd and screaming at 4500rpm. It gets a little noise after 20mins in the mountain. Does SC help this situation??

BIG TIME!!!

Although I haven't tried it with a load truck yet there a big difference.

Only on a steep hill did it shift one gear, most of the time it just went up the hill in fifth gear, I slowly accelerated on the hill and it didn't shift. It was very comfortable to 80mph on the highway and not even think about it, with still room for passing people quickly on a down shift.

womping on it, passing people it saw 100mph pretty quick for a big truck. I found myself having to watch the speedo more.

I would seriously recommend this mod to anybody with a truck like mine.

slooowr6

Explorer
:costumed-smiley-007 Sweet, looks like the SC is the fix for my exact problem. Going to start saving $ now. Looking forward to see you off road/long term review on the SC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier