2005 Tundra Regular Cab "Buck"

This is my first thread on the EP forum, but I wanted to share my new truck and the plans for it.

I first got bitten by the Toyota truck bug back in 2012 when I bought a sweet 2001 Tacoma Xtracab TRD 4x4 5 speed. I drove that truck for 4 years, doing all of my first 4wd camping trips including a week in Death Valley over New Years with the woman who would become my girlfriend and eventually my wife. I'm always reading about trucks, and started seeing some articles about the 1st gen Tundras. I'm 6'4" and only ever barely fit in the Tacoma, my head would brush the headliner and I had thought about doing a seat swap for some lower seats. 508550My brother had been bugging me to buy my Tacoma for a couple of years, so that made it a lot easier to jump on the right Tundra when I found one, and I did in March of 2017, I flew up to Portland to buy "Pearl", my 2005 Access Cab 4x4 Tundra. The amount of extra room inside the cab was incredible, as well as the boatloads of extra power and torque of the 4.7l V8 compared to the 3.4l V6 of the Tacoma.
I took Pearl back to Death Valley and on a road trip through Colorado, driving up Engineer Pass in fully stock form, and it did great. The only thing that really bugged me was the fact that I couldn't quite sleep comfortably in the bed. Things like that really eat at me, so I had been looking around for a 2005-6 regular cab Tundra 4x4, which are super hard to find and which I wasn't sure I would even fit in. It seems the only ones for sale were in the rust belt. I happened to randomly come across a maroon one last week from a man who lived out in rural eastern Oregon (I moved to Boise about 6 months ago), and it looked like it was in good shape and had the same amount of miles as Pearl. We met up, and I took it for a spin and knew pretty quickly that it would be my new rig. It has the same wheelbase and overall length as Pearl, it just has extra bed length instead of the useless half back seats in the Access Cab and weighs a couple hundred pounds less. I can really feel the lighter weight of this truck.

I bought the new Tundra which I have named Buck and am now planning the build of this new truck. I have a couple of people interested in Pearl, and as soon as she is sold will be starting to order parts. Buck is a base model truck, it's got vinyl flooring, but has all of the options that you could get for a regular cab truck including power windows and locks, tow package, tilt wheel, cruise control and heated side mirrors. I think 80% of the regular cab trucks I had seen for sale had crank windows and a fixed steering wheel.
I love how plain and humble this new truck looks, it draws no looks or attention, it's completely function oriented. I love the lack of oversized fender flares, the basic steel wheels, I won't feel bad pushing it through some tough trails. My current ideas are to order an aluminum commercial shell for it and install a roof fan for ventilation, install a custom Radflo suspension setup with the Archive Garage Shackle Flip Kit that I ordered for Pearl but never installed, a set of basic rock sliders, 33" AT tires on the stock steel wheels, and probably an ARB locker in the rear with one of their medium size compressors installed under the hood for airing up and down. I'll be transferring the ARB fridge and CB radio over from Pearl as well. Not very many regular cab builds on this forum so I'm excited to contribute over the next couple of months!

Last edited:
Sold Pearl to somebody who drove out all the way from Jackson Hole, Wyoming to Boise to pick her up. Felt a little sad to see Pearl go, but not as sad as when I sold my Tacoma. It helps that I already have the new truck to build.

Got some new pizza cutters installed on Buck, the same 235/85r16 KO2 tires that I had on my Tacoma, it's a great size that is lighter and way cheaper than a 33 or 34 inch tire and doesn't require a regear from the factory 4:10 ratio. I like the look of the stock 16x7" steel rims and putting these tall skinny tires on them just seems to fit the work truck nature of this base model Tundra. I actually ordered a set of five tires, and have a matching spare rim on the way to mount the fifth tire on.

And yes, I just flipped this top image backwards to match the lower photo. The gas cap is on the left side of the truck.

Last edited:

SC T100

Adventurer
Looking forward to the updates!

It's always been funny to me that that most basic of these trucks is also the fastest and most efficient due to weight. It probably feels like a rocket (and likely needs more careful throttle around corners) compared to up-tired DC 4x4s (like mine).

Looking forward to the updates!

It's always been funny to me that that most basic of these trucks is also the fastest and most efficient due to weight. It probably feels like a rocket (and likely needs more careful throttle around corners) compared to up-tired DC 4x4s (like mine).
For sure, it's nice to start with a light truck, I'll feel less bad about adding armor and a winch down the line!

nastav

Adventurer
Nice truck, nice find.
I bought a 2wd RCLB tundra new in 2000....it was a very good truck....went all over CA and Baja surfing with no issues....way better size and quality than the 2011 tundra 4x4 I owned and disliked.
I’d be happy to own another regular cab first gen, but I’ll agree they are hard to find.

smokeysevin

Observer
I have always wanted to buy a rclb and an acsb and swap back halfs on them to make an aclb and rcsb tundra. an 05-06 with the higher hp motor and better trans would be a hoot. At one point my acsb was weighed at 4444lb with a half tank of gas, me in it, no spare tire and no tailgate. a rcsb would be lighter by a fair bit.

Sean

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
That would be slick. I have always thought Toyota was missing out on a lot of bed/ cab set ups. Reg Cab tacoma with an 8 foot bed would be slick, lots of options out there. I really enjoyed the coustom one off rigs from the early 90's or late 80's you would some times see where they had stretched the frame and crammed one of those little sleeper/ extender cabs between the regular cab trucks and the bed.

GTV

I have always wanted to buy a rclb and an acsb and swap back halfs on them to make an aclb and rcsb tundra. an 05-06 with the higher hp motor and better trans would be a hoot. At one point my acsb was weighed at 4444lb with a half tank of gas, me in it, no spare tire and no tailgate. a rcsb would be lighter by a fair bit.

Sean

Same!!
I wanted a ACLB V8 4WD and a RCSB V6 2WD with a 6MT w/ TRD blower for a street truck ;)

My friend's got a regcab 4x4,white. I can sit in it for awhile but long trips are murder. I'm 6'4".
It's a great truck,I'm just too tall.
It works for me as long as I'm driving. I'm also 6'4" and find it super comfortable, but the whole bench slides forward and backward together unlike my access cab that had a 60/40 split bench, so if somebody shorter is driving then I'm going to be crammed too far forward. I'd like to explore some aftermarket seat options and add a big center console at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94