2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

Smileyshaun

Observer
the funny thing about u joints is they can feel fine when inspecting them by hand but under the load of the vehicle make odd noises ,especially is the suspension geomity has changed at all. u joints are a very overlooked item on a rig , think how many times those little needle bearings are moving around over the years,even with proper lubrication stuff will wear out .

Reactions: bkg

Kpack

Adventurer
All good advice guys, and those thoughts are similar to what I've been thinking the past few days. I'm going to try and get in for another road force balance and rotate this weekend, and will likely pull the rear driveshaft and have a driveline shop work on it.

Incidentally, I was curious to see how much weight was put on the wheels the last time they were balanced (couple months ago when I got the SCS wheels) and the passenger wheel has zero weights on it. I find it hard to believe that it balanced that perfectly. The driver rear has 10-12 weights.

bkg

Explorer
All good advice guys, and those thoughts are similar to what I've been thinking the past few days. I'm going to try and get in for another road force balance and rotate this weekend, and will likely pull the rear driveshaft and have a driveline shop work on it.

Incidentally, I was curious to see how much weight was put on the wheels the last time they were balanced (couple months ago when I got the SCS wheels) and the passenger wheel has zero weights on it. I find it hard to believe that it balanced that perfectly. The driver rear has 10-12 weights.
Dismount that tire, rotate 180 degrees, remount and balance....

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
my 05 dodge 1500 had the same issue with noise and vibration, new tires, balanced several times, u-joints, finally took it to american transmission in tri cities, they thought it was the transmission just from what i was describing. they took it on a test drive and came back saying it definitely was not the transmission, put it up on a lift and ran it, the passenger side rear axle shaft flange was bent. you could just see it barely sliding the rear caliper back and forth.

Kpack

Adventurer
Dismount that tire, rotate 180 degrees, remount and balance....

Should I just have them flip all tires on the rims? The outer edges of all of them are starting to wear more than the inner. They've been rotated several times since new, but I typically drive without the sway bar connected so the outer edge takes more abuse on turns and they are definitely more worn.

my 05 dodge 1500 had the same issue with noise and vibration, new tires, balanced several times, u-joints, finally took it to american transmission in tri cities, they thought it was the transmission just from what i was describing. they took it on a test drive and came back saying it definitely was not the transmission, put it up on a lift and ran it, the passenger side rear axle shaft flange was bent. you could just see it barely sliding the rear caliper back and forth.

It certainly could be one of the axles. I'm going to do one more balance/rotate and have the driveshaft balanced first. If that doesn't solve the issue I'll have my shop take a close look at the rear axles. I have no leaking, so the seals are fine, but something could be bent I guess.

bkg

Explorer
Should I just have them flip all tires on the rims? The outer edges of all of them are starting to wear more than the inner. They've been rotated several times since new, but I typically drive without the sway bar connected so the outer edge takes more abuse on turns and they are definitely more worn.

lack of swaybar shouldn't cause tires to wear unevenly…. I suspect you have other issues - alignment related.

EDIT: just do the tire with the huge amount of weight. Possible that the heavy part of the tire lined up with the heavy part of the wheel... flipping it 180 degrees may allow reduction in weight.

Last edited:

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
It certainly could be one of the axles. I'm going to do one more balance/rotate and have the driveshaft balanced first. If that doesn't solve the issue I'll have my shop take a close look at the rear axles. I have no leaking, so the seals are fine, but something could be bent I guess.

mine was not leaking either

Kpack

Adventurer
lack of swaybar shouldn't cause tires to wear unevenly…. I suspect you have other issues - alignment related.

EDIT: just do the tire with the huge amount of weight. Possible that the heavy part of the tire lined up with the heavy part of the wheel... flipping it 180 degrees may allow reduction in weight.

Without sway bar the truck body rolls a lot more when turning...I thought that the increased roll would wear out the outer edges of the front tires faster.

Also, I misunderstood what you meant when you said "flip it 180 degrees". I thought you were talking about removing the tire from the rim, flipping it around, and putting it back on so that the face that was inward before is now outward. I see what you are saying now.

mine was not leaking either

Good to know!

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Yes mine is not leaking either, its been this way for about a year now...drives me batty i just havent had time to fix it..
And i beleive its bent on the outside section away from the bearings or seal.. just like the other guy pretty much just the flange...

Kpack

Adventurer
I'm getting the tires road force balanced right now to rule out tire issues. If there is still vibration (which is likely) then I'll have a shop take a look at the rear axles. Could be bent, or i guess it could be axle bearings too.

Kpack

Adventurer
Well, the road force balancing didn't change much. A bit less bumpy, but the underlying vibration is still definitely there and remains unchanged. So now it's on to the rear axles and/or axle bearings.

Also, finding a place that does road-force balancing was way harder than it should have been. Nowhere in town does it so I had to drive 45 minutes to a place that has the machine. They do it so infrequently there that they didn't even know what to charge for it. And their machine is old so it doesn't print off the numbers. But according to the tech everything was "good".

bkg

Explorer
Every Discount Tire I’ve ever been to has the machine, but it takes some effort to get them to use it. Had my 37” Hancook’s road forced when I bought them. That was entertaining. ?

Ropodebo

Awesome thread, I'll be following this.
Duratracs are terrible and mine have a vibe like yours around 68-72. Was worse because my wheel bearings were shot and I had a u joint on the way out. Now the truck rides smooth in its 302k mile glory.

I also love the look of the brute force fab stuff, previous owner installed the arb style bumper, and regular sliders on mine. And the same superwinch but with steel line.

I miss living in Washington, I was out in Kitsap County, but now I'm back on the front range in Colorado
00606_2DxE0yywgQc_1200x900.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles