2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

Kpack

Adventurer
Not much unfortunately. Truck is in the shop right now getting the axle replaced. FYI, double cab rear axles are different from access cab axles. Apparently the axle assembly the shop ordered was for an AC, and when they installed it the axle did not engage. Close inspection showed that the DC axle was different. I wouldn't have guessed that....I thought the running gear was the same on both models.

I did try to get a parts truck from Copart, but I was having issues bidding on my end and lost the truck. I was pretty upset. This particular truck was already mostly built and would've solved most of my problems. The bed would've been a direct drop-in, I could've used the canopy + awning, I was going to swap my seats for the recovered bench seats, and I was going to swap my driveshafts and driver's rear axle shaft. Then the bumpers would've been sold to someone else building a 1st gen Tundra. Can't believe I lost the bid.
y4mmELUFy5r36HDOSKZ6x0Lj6BDCiGkasXBYlXhv85Nn9MaYC8w5X3iFPkwwD5xmv9yp-vTUSqh8MMvBfSAd7fSS6nWkLjKqvr0A3maf3SrGDpi_cApckYw5O_kCnTDU_GzJDFgY2Gt7tjZ0Yo5qN6kUreVUpzSkMnfW_iJbgNlcJm6G1d8fnFChST7rSKidjU1

y4mz-eK9CJjt8vmAbswQAQZxFMoA2wWQ54BpNfYTJjaC8Pgh0UQIQrC7IF9CaMlzuLb-inyp43VWJO9ikTeHUlTir5M38rxKpql53nkvnWf5gTHIt1kC1o2IFxiYS4yZWdHUnpemzrSKRv0vAeMxboHJeQhtt9gUPQABwW-nLu67k334enoAwGI4jlFce6nhapR

y4mE5fLA2fBBhIQYiR4drcKC-g_kfAnSHO-Jt0hMCE9HdpGXx9cUf_S6jtX7JDmwqW8-C3jhob7A9aINWd4g3qh42CvQkOCECj4-4AyiMb5O2ee-sfSXfjptL2y1KWuu1J5DYH-Fq6gxo9HxnnU7Qe1FblE_m24qM1zgtrL8IdRFIoy2Vkeg-JHQk8UpBxT8zsX

y4mOzKfkM_Z8oX4FMrb_KEGv7c0nXT2CMPrpus6chfyU8cC58LPQjdEiElwjKJTdDPMxZP8WwlbIKBe0By5OSonGd68RyueoKhsKBamXKLD9EHNOLolsEVmtmAVmNLg_DMMe83MI1rTEOU2NAhZVmn4WSbV1tBDHNCND9AOm29fNgfuGVtoNgSljq8rApGIonH7

Kpack

Adventurer
Not gonna lie, at first glance I thought this was a really sad update to ToyoTech's build thread :oops:
That would indeed be sad. I'm just glad that he rocked the no-bed for a year. I don't feel so bad now.

I wonder what caused that fire?
Looks like it originated right where the original battery was, so my guess is something about the 2nd battery wiring to the main battery shorted out. Makes me second guess doing a dual battery set up. In my case, I just don't need it because the truck isn't used only as an overlanding rig. I'll probably never have a fridge in it.

In other news, I finally got the rear axle replaced. No more wobbling wheels and the truck definitely rides smoother down the road. I haven't had much time to look into bed options yet, so I continue to roll with no bed and throw mud and rocks in literally all directions. I lost a lot of motivation when I lost the bid on that Copart truck....

tennesseewj

Observer
If you're able to contact the winning bidder, you should probably reach out and see if you can work a deal. There's a good chance that buyer doesn't need the bed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
How much did it sell for?
$3500. I was prepared to go north of $4K, but as I mentioned I was having issues on my end with the bidding. I could've easily used parts from that truck well in excess of $4K, and then sold the BFF bumpers to another 1st gen enthusiast.

If you're able to contact the winning bidder, you should probably reach out and see if you can work a deal. There's a good chance that buyer doesn't need the bed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
No way to contact them unfortunately. I posted on the 1st Gen Tundra Facebook page to see if anyone knew who ended up with it so I could see if they were willing to part with some stuff, but no luck. I'll find a bed eventually, or I'll talk to someone about fab-ing up a flatbed for me. I don't have a welder, time, or the skill to do that right now.

Kpack

Adventurer
Thursday morning and 24" of snow on the ground.
y4m-M2ReFXu9ilFXjTGIC7B1HqZI_PQdbyz_dGxqj4Kqo6NgAvsVlA60VDEtWUNHuJjWLujNY9PQvJ8dvqZe6YpTW38T4u9AWEfXaE2PvB8op2UHMsUk2uKUMLLgu_up8lDJ9gsPFaDMlzu0pj7iSK_08ZaF1sadj5BU9CKAOvxxLYLq9KE2Au3cY-QJgy6WBaS

Even without a bed the truck didn't struggle at all. 4HI and rear locker....truck remained totally planted
y4mRYmeV3Y_roT2KEtgQJTyk2dpsbhE_nQEy2P_a_oNQhVXSuhv6OdbcWPmOTiaob-CM9CWDZ3EA89SuL31TSzi5i-VIFQj5faJO2ZTcFKAg8oQ8xNw1mqwsoVR926aS_FPKAYA9NZS_gFTlDwxd6vFp1gg0Zt2KvEtQRUmtEvYYnVnsgfmNV9SvtxGOO_YsjsM

Reactions: WVI

The Artisan

Adventurer
$3500. I was prepared to go north of $4K, but as I mentioned I was having issues on my end with the bidding. I could've easily used parts from that truck well in excess of $4K, and then sold the BFF bumpers to another 1st gen enthusiast.

No way to contact them unfortunately. I posted on the 1st Gen Tundra Facebook page to see if anyone knew who ended up with it so I could see if they were willing to part with some stuff, but no luck. I'll find a bed eventually, or I'll talk to someone about fab-ing up a flatbed for me. I don't have a welder, time, or the skill to do that right now.
I will be selling the bed of my 03 ext cab, if you are interested. What is your location?
Kevin

Kpack

Adventurer
I will be selling the bed of my 03 ext cab, if you are interested. What is your location?
Kevin
Unfortunately the beds of extended cabs and double cabs are different. Very different. So, it won't work. Thanks for the offer though.

Kpack

Adventurer
Just slap a sheet of plywood on that bad boy and send it .
I thought about it, but in the end just left it open. Not sure the wood would appreciate being so close to the exhaust.

Yesterday we closed the office due to the snow, then a few friends and I went out and dug people out of their homes for several hours. The snow was over two feet in some places, with a few times getting up to the top of my front bumper. I managed to get stuck one time, when I had to stop for traffic after plowing an untouching street with the truck. We strapped a bunch of shovels to the rear frame and went house to house. The shovels were caked in snow every time we stopped. Fun times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles