2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Just took at look at a well-maintained 2006 Sequoia SR5. 140K miles, maintenance up to date (timing belt done 30k ago), underside has very minimal corrosion. ~$9k which is a little high I think. Doesn't have leather seats or entertainment system, which would be great with 5 kids. So tempting though......

I need to find a nice Sequoia to allow us to head out camping as a family, and to allow us to all be in the same vehicle while towing a boat, etc.

I'm not getting rid of the Tundra....that will be my trail rig and I need the open bed for work around the property. The Sequoia will mostly be my wife's rig for when she needs it, though most of her driving will be in her Odyssey. Easier for the kids with the van.

What's a fair price on Sequoias?

I personally pay anywhere between 4-8k for them depending on year and mileage. Usually the 05 and up will fetch 9-14k as they usually have less Mileage and the vvti motor gave it a bump in power. The 05 and up limited I believe all have air bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ukrboy

Observer
Sequoias are so weird when it comes to pricing. I’ve seen them anywhere between $3K to $17K here in Alberta.
I got mine in 2016. It had 160K kms on it. 2005 Limited in a really good condition. Timing belt and water had just been done. I paid $15K CAD for mine.

GTV

I personally pay anywhere between 4-8k for them depending on year and mileage. Usually the 05 and up will fetch 9-14k as they usually have less Mileage and the vvti motor gave it a bump in power. The 05 and up limited I believe all have air bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that makes me feel good about the price I paid.

Kpack

Adventurer
I'm definitely going with 05-07 due to the increased HP and 5 speed transmission. I love both on my truck, and will need that for towing. The 05 and up are definitely more expensive around me. Probably not going to go with Limited because I'm not sure I want to mess with the stock airbag suspension. I'll probably stick with SR5 and add Firestone bags if I need to level out with towing.

Sequoias are so weird when it comes to pricing. I’ve seen them anywhere between $3K to $17K here in Alberta.
I got mine in 2016. It had 160K kms on it. 2005 Limited in a really good condition. Timing belt and water had just been done. I paid $15K CAD for mine.
Same here. All over the map on pricing. The 01-04 are much less expensive, but I need the newer transmission. Most 05-07 models I've seen are at 200K miles or over. The few that are less than 150K miles are typically going for $15,000 or thereabouts. Most of those are Limited's. So this SR5 may not be so bad after all. If I can talk them down significantly then I may just do it. The 4LO not engaging could actually end up being a major fix, so I would talk them down a lot on that.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
y4m-HgKFgReHYpQhD2XP0xIFRfUMRxmdyj7bddH4BbOd0i5CRvBaHsteFv3DIBeuwndNSJlBsQB-Zk7upxLh3xevB5CDknSnqWjYAIVOXILVUi_H1OtJbqS23fEsxnMcBVPfW4DeYeIK8B5QcTaUgiU7J5pQkKXhIf6Yn79VADbeXoPpf9tp4KUmBjshuWUNgvJlNi7GZDOQdb__EgdR5SNTA

Truck looks great. I sometimes regret not going double cab.
I'm getting ready to throw a radio in my truck too. Probably something cheap though.

Kpack

Adventurer
Truck looks great. I sometimes regret not going double cab.
I'm getting ready to throw a radio in my truck too. Probably something cheap though.

I do like the double cab, but now my family has outgrown it. Hence the hunt for a Sequoia. Definitely keeping the Tundra though.

I'm not a lot of help when it comes to ham radios. Lots of options out there and I'm new enough to know very little about any of them. It seems like most dual-band mobiles are around $300 or so. Single band is much less expensive, but I wanted the added capability. Not sure if I'll make use of it all, but I guess it doesn't hurt to not be limited.

pacop

Thanks for your input regarding tires. I'm definitely leaning heavily toward the BFG's. Yes everyone has them, but that I think speaks highly of the tire.

Got the truck back today from several days in the shop. I feel bad for the guys who had to work on it! All four cam bolts had to be cut off in order to get the LCA's off the truck, and that was a pretty miserable process for them. We kept the old LCA's because there was nothing wrong with them, and it was cheaper to just press out the bushings and put new ones in. Still, it wasn't a cheap fix....~$1,100 when all was said and done.....new OEM bushings and sleeves, new cam bolts (with zerk fittings this time!), labor, and alignment. They earned every penny of the labor. There's no way I could have done this fix on my own. I don't have the right tools, the time or the patience.

Shiny new cam bolts. Grease fittings are on the outsides of all four bolts.
y4mOFW_C5V5q9EY9LsaBiHq26F5SbtDiHs_SNDt3DX8BChmO9srN5BZXR8ZW1E3vChiz-xCFrJp4rEYiEweYTp2ktHyT8HRd-MBI-A1SwaK9S7Vv7208jEPIWZKpyin4j5T9F1l-Y3IY89YVTQZfd0ZA17UoMSlDU8-u7Jy74VNTS94Qfi-ovQo2pvhBMJECvm8RLa9P0aicwAXtG16eHUVZQ

Truck drives noticeably better now. The rest of my front end is pretty new (ball joints, tie rods) but the front still felt a bit squirrely. Not anymore. Drives straight as an arrow, feels planted during cornering even without the sway bar connected, and steering response is improved. The truck even sits better now....raised the lift on both front sides by ~1/4". Looks like the old bushings were smashed as well as cracked.
Are those the Moog cam bolts?

Kpack

Adventurer
Are those the Moog cam bolts?

That's a really good question, and I don't know. I know the shop didn't use OEM, which kind of bothered me. I would've preferred that I supply my own parts, but they wouldn't allow it. So far these bolts have been fine, though I can tell they are not the same length as OEM.... One is longer, one is shorter on each side.

Last edited:

smokeysevin

Observer
That's a really good question, and I don't know. I know the shop didn't use OEM, which kind of bothered me. I would've preferred that I supply my own parts, but they wouldn't allow it. So far these bolts have been fine, though I can tell they are not the same length as OEM.... One is longer, one is shorter on each side.
They are, go oem for sure, these fit like crap. The cams on my 01 have probably 1/4" of play in the slot. The inner sleeve is too short as well which lets the pivot shift rather than riding on the edge like the oem setup does.

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
They are, go oem for sure, these fit like crap. The cams on my 01 have probably 1/4" of play in the slot. The inner sleeve is too short as well which lets the pivot shift rather than riding on the edge like the oem setup does.

Sean

So mine are for sure Moog? Whatever they are they look like they were made for a different truck. The alignment seems to be holding great though, so I'll probably leave them until there is a problem.

smokeysevin

Observer
So mine are for sure Moog? Whatever they are they look like they were made for a different truck. The alignment seems to be holding great though, so I'll probably leave them until there is a problem.

Moog, SPC and someone else make the same parts, they all fit like crap compared to the oem parts.

Sean

Kpack

Adventurer
Not much happening here. But since the truck hit 200k, I figured it would be a good time to change the oil and rotate the tires. A bit ahead of schedule but starting with a nice round number is easier to keep track of.

Replaced oil with Mobile 1 (been doing that since I got it) and filter. Put the full-size spare into the rotation, so all tires should wear together.

y4mlv3J-1oqERq760-eEWclrYuAR8_TOyyvbkpudWu4j0O1NWwGk5fZa582Qvb7hXE4HKL9anjm2KA5ICYwOQrAY2Ew3i1VILr0thporT_AGbCCgDmbPAnFNsVABVDDD-IxUT-afGnML54kOobIFa90HZZEF68FKnNToM8hjAb1ZFqM8_nukNuuxaJPhYqYbxsw4RfHwCryucVQTUDyMwGV5Q

Here's full droop with stock LCA's, uniball UCA's, and extended travel coilovers. I think this is about the max you can get without going to long travel. I think it's about 26.5" from center hub to the bottom of the fender.
y4mDgw1Ohc-S2-jkEybd8E-lHJ_b0gjbjEXf3Q0VUppAeFyqa_l9RHTNHiJ6zDHWxUTRiv9Xu3ATw_8uG_U1vHWWo7aYhHPEepgKoYyCpB7dUlH4DxDm4PMqwDa2t5wN7mqoW5M7WBJ5PMmtPYB4RCc9BbLecgn98Kj9f5ydrejM7rTbWq1sbtMNRsJC78d1YaG529_Nt86QOp7FdM1CwIO7A

Totally unnecessary, but I picked up some subdued flag patches for the states my family has lived in. A personal touch that means something to me. I found them from Gadsden and Culpeper (https://gadsdenandculpeper.com/collections/all-50-states-tactical-patches)....price was good and shipping was fast. Well made. I have no idea where this whole 'overland patch' thing started, but I kind of like it, even if it's a little gimmicky. I don't think I'll do much more than what I have.
y4mcSuKad7Fc8nZD8VR54l5ItIz9K4SGsA2BJj_Q5Wi6uvDBdUwfZdWQ_vFxVaxShoZrDLAEXANrgKV8bqjb4eixCk1borZi252iunJfT6pwMB3xud24b_eI0e9T2VWBpjfZm8bZJZBG_1KVo1uE278_9NTNRztU7LRKIU6BxtmmzXHkvoQ5-sq645IxM1PSf9lgAJKzV9aXyutYshvzNzyGg

Lots of snow around here lately. The KO2's have done well in the snow so far. I've been able to do most everything in 2WD, but the few times I've thrown it in 4HI the truck felt totally planted and confident. The Fluid Film is holding up great underneath. The rest of the outside is filthy....no sense in washing it yet.
y4mvWpqZ-VGSDUZJZ0UVm0uOlkABjXvZsPqUmc0bG-qoPmyxwsUIojK7_prNEP2NSavtYFqvCmIfp1UCBKtj6mgvo4QITLCoVDiqFrXPBOXAuI1lIpYxLuRwZEgBFno6cGCZkqVV_NNfclhipyZsl5nWzu0CzfJ2COME-LtfVQwSNewCSCeclDt-1ZlC0QB23Qdx3yR8c4HfPnW8j7q7ABpqA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles