2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

viperdriver

Observer
I dont have a diagram, but the superwinch definitely wont fit with the control box. I just cleaned up the wiring and mounted it to the side of the winch so that I still access the control box from the same area and dont have to open my hood. I also did the mounting and relocation before I put the bumper on the truck, so not sure how easy itll be to relocate where I have it with the bumper already mounted. Might just be good to mount it under the hood too.

Hm1H3v3.jpg

Also I didnt need that bracket either on my 2000 AC, so not sure what or where the difference is since you have a DC.

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
Jake - Any aftermarket skid plate made for the 1st gen Tundra will work with the BFF bumper. The bumper is made so the factory skid plate bolts right up to it (see the picture by viperdriver above). There aren't a ton of options out there for skid plates on a 1st gen, but Skid Row is something I have my eye on. For now I plan to wire wheel the factory plate and repaint.

Viper - thanks for the picture. I like how you mounted that. I'm assuming you drilled holes to mount the box? Accessing the winch itself for wiring is fairly easy with the bumper on, but I'm not sure about mounting the box. I'll have to look closer at it tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

-Kevin

viperdriver

Observer
Jake - Any aftermarket skid plate made for the 1st gen Tundra will work with the BFF bumper. The bumper is made so the factory skid plate bolts right up to it (see the picture by viperdriver above). There aren't a ton of options out there for skid plates on a 1st gen, but Skid Row is something I have my eye on. For now I plan to wire wheel the factory plate and repaint.

Viper - thanks for the picture. I like how you mounted that. I'm assuming you drilled holes to mount the box? Accessing the winch itself for wiring is fairly easy with the bumper on, but I'm not sure about mounting the box. I'll have to look closer at it tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

-Kevin

No problem! Yep just drilled some mounting holes, and sprayed them with rustoleoum. I had it powdercoated with whatever the color the place told me the semi gloss would match if I ever needed to do touch ups.

Kpack

Adventurer
Finally got the chance to finish up the front bumper install by getting winch fully situated. Thanks viperdriver for the picture of how you mounted your box. I'd been struggling with how to do it, but your way seemed simple enough for me. I found that there is plenty of space to work with to mount the box even after the bumper is installed on the truck. The design of the bumper makes it very easy to get in there do what you need to.

I mounted the box by drilling two holes into the bumper, coating the bare metal with Rustoleum, then securing the box with two #8 bolts/washers/nylock nuts.
y4mdccZZRqfufohPTD7oa9Zda6m6I4gyLuYtYxv44MoAX-w7rQ2RXh2eJZ1VLZB2pT4ChMTuYhn5CXvoZPLd9k-qktWWPto45f7cjcsx0d1-f7CgXBZSC6xbJmmDQYpaNwo8LRqk27W3oSGMDCD6ycujjQM7AZ5609X4BrP6tBRPQfTwaBPsq3o3NXSZNhg_5bEpjNkTO75cxP1sGuxdpwdMQ

I used #2 gauge wire, since that is what came on the winch already, and ran new cables from the new box location to the hookups on the winch. All zip-tied together for cleanliness. The red wire is actually a small ground wire from the control box....I had to lengthen the original wire, and red was all I had on hand.
y4mcL98-0i9QJNfqNzl8NmXI1uR0CtAJLDR8beFUlJzMs5-mJmGrrnSwvxtxUcwrikf3dpwFfFq_6XBEr7FOHq7coAW9KN3xKJCARs59t4KzOoSPYApG7T5qkSsCKEiPEaEyS6OGPZeAVwOxiqHQGO8JyusPC0XG-iurpi_zaZwpekkYa0IIlY13Anh1EKdAJJuslPJQ-vjVSlft0DtjZj2Ig

All new connectors with heat-shrink wrapping
y4mxtvmN8MPnWvuhNcACNi8wgApIzcaMl2D6ETilJa_EMXDsWFGzOMe3VxEMei0GP5BPGOcjBYlO8Fu3GLt8QO1uGjJAgrpk1FZziydzEPu5yxkf1FzXkufYSCSWgGMjvmVDewrqqMIU5BmjVV2ITKolt97HOG7i_hobKXYYlvX54I7pFWLhg_5r2oNOF7oolKFoJ5MVCBOUO19HiMMBf0PgQ

Positive and negative leads going through the body where the A/C line crosses. I taped several layers of electrical tape so the rubber coating on the wires doesn't get damaged.
y4mXc6HC1Z_cA0CWB6DWTQhRvWrm1SuzaVB_kkEI3WYVg2p9d-3CLlWNrs-NkcWn2jsJccM9ZUcysLpA2BIcsP-7OUO4K5Kkfq6b1LwKU2lg9dxBp8gAgLAZPTX65EiKqTqr-_KkcbdwB1M_pj-U4BhzuEH7QQuxSI3fVxbAWKAb1X8bvH_VZcmxrANT7w4UOJM-h93uVhjTvuXVNBEdya09Q

Connections to the battery. I'm not terribly jazzed about how dirty my engine compartment us.
y4m4Cr7xQh_2XR31rUufqC8AAtAT4yliMagVL7pZYGtqcctZe2MNcagwanZ6sClAQMcCTjpHFhxCOQJ3_J-er9JESY5MbG0BKxEB604ngmvtVwuTgNOowacCrkVWLVLrLcb8IjAGcsvzb65sNeQa13fhHNX3318F1jbSOX3Zfh4PUM5aRIBfKhdq_W_PmBWJOIEvB3gCGbCpQtKWzuzTu4yFg

Plug is easily accessed from the front of the bumper, and the controller can be stretched to the driver's seat if needed.
y4mlIQ6BblzQXWz7QRwycplDL7yt4pxozI8ltWIXk4FnCdlMSbATTCCqY3YUytvymzKiEY-xkxW_WEGJ1qPIQd7LdSVY8a4KUDKcKMTcxV9WmxMeCqj5_9sGVXeIeygEgOo1exKXuAwxBKyUveIwyhBJjs4P8a9kl9btp_EwynRZ0UH0ZGm491KkeQnCBm38CLuD117UXxee6jBwTbTZfHvgw

Finally I can say that I'm done with the front bumper project. Everything is together, it all works nicely, and I'm loving the look of the truck now. Just need to get some shackles and the rest of the recovery gear. Next step is to get underneath it and clean off the rust (now that it's easy to get to) and paint the front part of the frame. I did the rear and sides a couple years ago, but I'll need to do them again. I'll wait for that until after I get the sliders welded on.
y4mSKCFoxEVc0RNFTUxD5rWl3IkCWbyMQ8lF4aOfBRwOL7YkE1gdQhIdJPOpCTXXDgIWR-Deq1kAq-puS9L8rad5Y_cOY4mwrG45Uw74i0YiWoJ_z62CyRxVdYvGn4hDyagWm6P3gQ4r0Ru_hw2P7SdubV78eM7BkgU6ZVT2E27pwOpgUO7a93NjRk1NYZKvc9ZBR_cbIqfw4Ks_UyKQAzwqw

-Kevin

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Looks so good. Black on black. Nice work on the winch controller. I really need to redo mine as well. I was on a time crunch and couldn't extend the cables to where I want it. So it's just shoved next to winch lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you use/where did you mount the switch for your BD lights. Wondering if I can use the fog light switch that is on my turn signal stock. One less hold to drill.

Kpack

Adventurer
What did you use/where did you mount the switch for your BD lights. Wondering if I can use the fog light switch that is on my turn signal stock. One less hold to drill.

When you buy from Baja Designs, just let them know that you need the adapters to plug into your stock wiring harness. They will allow you to use your factory fog light switch as normal. I'm loving these BD lights....so much light even though they are the lowest level.

Kpack

Adventurer
Looking good!

Do you lose the stock frame mounted recovery point when installing the BFF bumper?

No, it's still there. The BFF bumper mounts to the factory mount points, and then extends the mounting to four additional points using a bracket on either side.

KTempleton

Observer
do you know what kind of change (if any) you saw in ride height with the increase in weight? #700 coil correct?

Kpack

Adventurer
Loubaru - thanks! I love the look of the truck now.

KTempleton - yes, 700lbs coils (Kings). With the bumper, lights, and winch I figure the total added weight was somewhere around 220 lbs (~150 for bumper, ~60-70 for winch, plus associated gear). I dropped just over 1/4" on both sides. I may raise it back up again, but I want to wait until I get the sliders on to see how much more it drops, if any. Following that I can adjust the ride height again and then align. I'm trying to keep it about 22.5" from center of the hub to the lower border of the fender (33" tires). That seems to give it a nice amount of lift while still giving me at least 3 inches of droop on both sides....Camburg arms and extended droop Icons are great!

-Kevin

-Kevin

KTempleton

Observer
Yeah I have my DR/Icon with a 650 and I'm sitting at 21.5 with them cranked. I figure my warn plate and winch is sitting right around 200 lbs. any guess what the stock bumper and hardware that you took off was in weight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles