2005 Tacoma: Need the Ultimate Frame for Overland

bkg

Explorer
Not yet but I might be for a new reason...

I wish I could find a suitably sized 3/4 ton that will take the camper without too many mods and not be too big on many of the trails I tend to go on.

So I have talked to my wife and a few off road / overland enthusiast friends and have come to a decision. I need to pull the 2005 out of camper service and buy a new 2019 in a couple months. If the 05 did not have things like the transmission, driveline components, wheel bearings and all that jazz coming up, spending 5 figures on a new frame would not be such a glaring expense. And even though the motor is sound and truly fantastic, it has indeed worked it's rear end off under boost for 140K of it's 194K miles, almost ten years of it under the weight of the camper.

If I take all the pressure off of re-working my 2005 for daily use and make it a project truck, it could truly end up being the ultimate overland vehicle for my needs. So I have to go with my gut check here and get a new truck for the camper.

I'm not sure I understand the math... you don't want to put 5-figures into a new frame, but you're going to spend $30-40k on a 2019 and then spend a bunch of money on frame repairs?

nickw

Adventurer
Are you tied to a Toyota? There are other options available that seem to fit your criteria a bit better. I 100% don't think you'll be happy in a new Tacoma coming out of the rig you did.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Are you tied to a Toyota? There are other options available that seem to fit your criteria a bit better. I 100% don't think you'll be happy in a new Tacoma coming out of the rig you did.
As much as it pains me to admit that Toyota has fallen in quality. Their trucks are probably still better than average but not by a wide margin anymore and Big 3 trucks have improved, often having the same suppliers as Toyota now.

The one reason I think Toyota remains at the top of my list is they seem to still design things to be repaired to some extent. It's not indefinitely like 20 & 30 years ago (or at least as long as you can get parts) but at least there's no removing the body to access spark plugs nonsense and that's something to me.

However if I was routinely overloading my Tacoma I'm not sure I'd feel badly about at least shopping around for a full size truck. I might consider a Tundra but the reality is I'd probably buy a simple commercial F250 at this point.

nickw

Adventurer
As much as it pains me to admit that Toyota has fallen in quality. Their trucks are probably still better than average but not by a wide margin anymore and Big 3 trucks have improved, often having the same suppliers as Toyota now.

The one reason I think Toyota remains at the top of my list is they seem to still design things to be repaired to some extent. It's not indefinitely like 20 & 30 years ago (or at least as long as you can get parts) but at least there's no removing the body to access spark plugs nonsense and that's something to me.

However if I was routinely overloading my Tacoma I'm not sure I'd feel badly about at least shopping around for a full size truck. I might consider a Tundra but the reality is I'd probably buy a simple commercial F250 at this point.
I feel the same, I had a 2001 Tacoma that I liked, sold it (doh), and tried updgrading to a 2019, but just couldn't do it, it wasn't different enough from the other options and I was not excited about the powertrain (at all). Toyota needs to keep cost in check and MPG within reason and continue to provide something the consumer wants while still adhering to their engineering principles - it's not easy. It feels like most trucks these days are slowly starting to converge from where things were 20+ years ago, where things were truly different. I think the market has settled a bit on what works, at what cost and sells.

I think a F250 is a great platform with the 6.2. I think you can still get it with a Manual Tcase which is cool, but they are so big. Maybe a std. cab, long bed and a FWC and call it good. But I still like the F150HD options too, certainly fits the "performance" end of the spectrum with a tuned 3.5 and some suspension upgrades.

*Edit - I keep coming off like a Ford fanboy, I'm not, I just think it's the best balance in todays market. I was a Toyota guy for years and had a pristine FJ40 to prove it...

Kodachrome

Observer
So my point is a low mile 05-15 that has only seen pavement and garages might make sense, too. The 2016+ Tacoma chassis is substantially the same as the 05-15 and the noted deficiencies in engine performance for our use make the 4.0L preferred, I agree.

I have been looking daily, most are over 100K miles now and unless you know the seller personally, there is no way of really knowing how it was driven. And to add to this, the good ones all seem to be well over $20K so I am not being pulled that way yet.

I'm not sure I understand the math... you don't want to put 5-figures into a new frame, but you're going to spend $30-40k on a 2019 and then spend a bunch of money on frame repairs?

A new frame would be over $10K installed, in looking at what I would want to get done, over $15K actually. If I go with something else and make this a project truck I can take my time and truly figure out what I want to do with the truck.

With an OVtune, we could manage in the new Toyota and have a fresh start. We would be getting a quad cab this time so it can be a more versatile daily driver. I am not 100% locked into it yet but I am not seeing a lot of options in the mid sized truck build.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of something not super big and can take my All Terrain Bobcat without too much modification, I just can’t do a full sized truck, it does not work at all for the specific work I do and where I go. The bed rails are usually much higher in full sized trucks than I want for this camper.

I am still very much figuring this out…I have until about mid August to do so.

Last edited:

Watt maker

Your 2005 sounds like such a cool build! I was daydreaming just today of doing a build very similar to yours. I'm also a fan of the earlier 1GR 4.0's, even in NA form, they just run great and they seem to be super reliable. It sounds like you have your truck the way you want it and you know what you have. I honestly would just bite the bullet, so to speak, and replace the frame and whatever else is needed. The current mid-sized truck market is underwhelming to me and far overpriced for what you get. After driving that SC'd beast you have, none of the options out there will satisfy you, especially the new tacoma.

I do have one question for you. With that much power, did you have to beef up the transmission, clutch, axles, etc.?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Which vehicle requires removing the body to access spark plugs?

nickw

Adventurer
I have been looking daily, most are over 100K miles now and unless you know the seller personally, there is no way of really knowing how it was driven. And to add to this, the good ones all seem to be well over $20K so I am not being pulled that way yet.

A new frame would be over $10K installed, in looking at what I would want to get done, over $15K actually. If I go with something else and make this a project truck I can take my time and truly figure out what I want to do with the truck.

With an OVtune, we could manage in the new Toyota and have a fresh start. We would be getting a quad cab this time so it can be a more versatile daily driver. I am not 100% locked into it yet but I am not seeing a lot of options in the mid sized truck build.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of something not super big and can take my All Terrain Bobcat without too much modification, I just can’t do a full sized truck, it does not work at all for the specific work I do and where I go. The bed rails are usually much higher in full sized trucks than I want for this camper.

I am still very much figuring this out…I have until about mid August to do so.

New Ranger and the Colorado's come to mind. For simple power upgrades, Ranger prob takes the cake.....turbo engine that can be tuned easily for 350hp + for less than $1k. I'm sure you can tune it up from there too. It has higher payload capacity than the Tacoma FWIW. There are fair argument about reliability, since it's a "new" rig, to NA, but a good option on paper.

docwatson

Adventurer
2010+ Nissan Frontier CCLB (Pro4x if you don't need the 6' bed).

The VQ40 is a stout, reliable motor (after 08) and there use to be a Stillen Supercharger available pushing 300+ whp, not sure if you can still find them. Payload is ~1300. The rear springs are weak, but you'll be replacing them anyway. It comes with a fully boxed frame from the factory and F/R lockers are available.

People report that front axle as being weak (can be swapped for a M205 easily if you're concerned) and I would go to the V8 pathfinder brakes as the stock braking isn't great.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
2010+ Nissan Frontier CCLB (Pro4x if you don't need the 6' bed).

The VQ40 is a stout, reliable motor (after 08) and there use to be a Stillen Supercharger available pushing 300+ whp, not sure if you can still find them. Payload is ~1300. The rear springs are weak, but you'll be replacing them anyway. It comes with a fully boxed frame from the factory and F/R lockers are available.

People report that front axle as being weak (can be swapped for a M205 easily if you're concerned) and I would go to the V8 pathfinder brakes as the stock braking isn't great.
I think I've read a lot of 1st gen Titan parts will swap over to the Frontier. Correct?

docwatson

Adventurer
I think I've read a lot of 1st gen Titan parts will swap over to the Frontier. Correct?
People have swapped a lot of parts between the two. There are a lot parts to get a stronger front end, wider track width and larger motor; if you want to do the work. If you don't want the the wider track width you can use the VK56 Pathfinder parts and get the V8 front axle and motor.

shade

Here are several 2015 V6s within 200 miles of Montrose with well under 100k. The prices are relatively high for the age, but that's nothing new for the Tacoma.

There's an undeniable appeal to buying new and avoiding problems someone else created, but the money saved on a 2015 over new could be put into a 2015 to bring it more in line with your 2005. Unless you're set on a two truck solution, selling off the 2005 could also help finance bringing a 2015 up to snuff, or you could part out the 2005 to upgrade a 2015, and sell off what's left of the 2005.

Just some options to consider.

tk421

Besides the rust issue it seems a stock frame is just fine for a Tacoma? Why all the need to reinforce the frame if the underlying issue was rust?

shade

Besides the rust issue it seems a stock frame is just fine for a Tacoma? Why all the need to reinforce the frame if the underlying issue was rust?
It depends on the use. OP is putting a heavy demand on it between the drivetrain and weight, and it's much easier to reinforce it before installation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior