2005 Silverado "Work Truck" build

ZMagic97

Explorer
Hey all,

Some of you may have seen my other build thread on my 2006 GMC Sierra. While that truck is my primary expo vehicle, I thought'd I'd compile some info on my daily driver which is being made into more of a multi-use vehicle.

Here's a photo of when I bought it back in April of 2013. I was pretty excited at the time as it was my first "big vehicle purchase" and I paid cash. I was $7400 with just under $83,000 miles.

It's a basic truck, but that's what I wanted and I'm very happy with it.
Some specs:
It's a work truck model. So, it came with...
-Rubber floors.
-Painted bed. No liner or anything.
-Manual door locks
-Manual, crank windows.
-Bench seat with fixed center jump seat. No fold down console. No moving back and forth.
-4.3L V6. All stock minus a K&N drop in filter I added.
-4L60E 4 speed auto transmission
-GREAT A/C. Freezes me out even when it's close to 120F outside during the Arizona summers.
-Auto headlights. I like that a lot.

The first thing I did was put tires on it. They were not matching (iron since I bought it from a tire shop owner...) so I wanted brand new ones. I drive this truck 75 miles a day on average. I wrapped the GMT900 style rims in BRGoodrich Long Trail T/As sized 265/70R17. Also, I found out for some odd reason there were spacers on the truck. I removed them.
Those lasted until I had a side wall puncture from a nail and some rear wear. I was going to San Diego the next week, so I got General Grabbers in the same size.

Only a few weeks after getting it I found a Roll N Lock bed cover on Craigslist for ~$250. It seemed like a great price, so I grabbed it.

My windows were not tinted then, but a buddy of mine did it for me and I liked the privacy of the lack of sun coming in. Tint looks exactly the same even today.

About 7 months after I got the Roll N Lock my girlfriend at the time and I went to Flagstaff for a wedding. While coming home it poured the whole way. Not wanting the luggage to get wet (the Roll N Lock wasn't water tight at all) I had to stuff us and the luggage in the single cab. I wasn't as comfortable as I would like, so I sold the Roll N Lock for a profit after getting a Gaylord's tonneau cover. It was awesome looking and at a great price since the hardware needed some work.

About a year after that I needed more room. I sold the tonneau and left it as an on bed until I found a camper shell I wanted. I came across a nice Leer on the other side of Phoenix about a year ago and grabbed it. I still have it today.

Around New Years of 2015 I decided I wanted the clean up the back of the truck. I found out about Bedrug. I got one on Amazon and installed it with great results.

In the spring of this year, I took out the rubber floors and put in carpet with Loyd's custom floor mats. Looks better and makes for a quieter ride.

Up until August I didn't do anything. However, one day while messing around on Craigslist I randomly stumbled upon an ad for a modular storage and sleeping system made by A.R.E. I was able to snag it for $160. I couldn't say no to that.

Kid approved too!

A couple weeks later I started thinking of my next tires and the Grabbers were getting a little low. I found these era-correct stock rims I liked for $250. I snagged them.

Next mod came Friday morning. I came out at 4:30AM to leave for work. I had a flat, so I took the GMC. On lunch break I called Discount Tire and made an appointment to drop off the "new" rims. I ended up getting some Hankook Dynapros. Again, 265/70/R17s.

Old on the left, new on the right.

On the truck:

Photos from yesterday:

upndown

Adventurer
Nice looking truck! Have you sold your original wheels yet? May be interested if not. I have almost the identical truck, except mines a 2007, 4.8L long bed w/96,000 miles. My old service truck being converted to a fishing rig.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Nice looking truck! Have you sold your original wheels yet? May be interested if not. I have almost the identical truck, except mines a 2007, 4.8L long bed w/96,000 miles. My old service truck being converted to a fishing rig.

Thanks!

No I haven't. One rim has a small chip in the lip (doesn't effect the air holding or balancing) but all of them are in good shape. Tires have about 40% tread left.

upndown

Adventurer
If you have a price in mind, you can either list it here or PM me. I've been watching CL, prices are all over the place..haha. Unfortunately I had a real nice set reasonable sold out from under me. Damn CL! Thanks for your reply. :sombrero:

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Nice truck! I have the same drive train combo in a 2000 that I use as a daily. Unfortunately mine needs a new motor at the moment, #4 only has 50psi.

2015-11-09_04-32-22 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Does yours have a floor shifter or push button 4x4? I'm jealous of the dual zone climate control.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Neither, it's 2 wheel drive.

Correct, it's a 2WD since I bought it for a commuter and hauling goods for house upgrades a few years ago. Most of the places I take it only requires 2WD, so that's why I plan on doing a small lift for clearance and bought the more aggressive tires.

I must admit I love the dual zone climate control. I like to be ice cold all the time, the girlfriend...not so much. :ylsmoke:

Outback, sorry to hear that your truck is out of commission. I hope you get it back on the road soon! It's a good looking truck for sure.

Clean truck,how is everything holding up at 147,000 miles?

I have the exact same truck expect with the 5 speed manual,it's only at 102,000,hoping drive it another 10 years

ZMagic97

Explorer
Clean truck,how is everything holding up at 147,000 miles?

I have the exact same truck expect with the 5 speed manual,it's only at 102,000,hoping drive it another 10 years

Thanks! It's holding up very well. I was having a slight misfire issue last spring, but I only noticed the CEL, no driving issues. It went on for a few weeks and even to Vegas and back. Found out it was a bad injector and fuel pressure regulator. Since then no issues. I rebuilt some seals at the same time for the front main, timing chain cover, and oil pan. Since then no issues or leaks.

I plan on driving this for hopefully the same amount of years as well.

dsal_86yota

Observer
Nice looking rig. Im not a big GM fan but I do like the way that gen single cab short beds look. That V6 is nice. Use to drive one as a perimeter truck at my old job.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Correct, it's a 2WD since I bought it for a commuter and hauling goods for house upgrades a few years ago. Most of the places I take it only requires 2WD, so that's why I plan on doing a small lift for clearance and bought the more aggressive tires.

I must admit I love the dual zone climate control. I like to be ice cold all the time, the girlfriend...not so much. :ylsmoke:

Outback, sorry to hear that your truck is out of commission. I hope you get it back on the road soon! It's a good looking truck for sure.

Cool, a quality tire makes all the difference that's for sure. I wasn't thinking about 2wd, not as many of them floating around up here in CO. I'm currently saving my pennies for a rebuilt long block, after getting machining quotes in the 3K range :Wow1: to machine this one.

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Quality tire, limited slip or locker and decent clearance and a 2wd can do just find, just don't except to out do a 4wd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles