2005 Sequoia Timing Belt #2

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Just replaced the second timing belt. 235K Miles. Another 100+ to look forward to.

Did the water pump, tensioner, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley. Took about 6 hours (I have a well stocked tool chest and air tools).

Had to brag. Time for a beer!:beer:

flexinxj

Nice! I got my sequoia back in Nov. '15 with 243k on the original belt, pulley's, and water pump :eek: I quickly replaced everything. I was surprised though, it was all in much better condition than I expected - these 4.7 's are built to last!

keylay

Adventurer
This is fantastic news for a 4.7 4Runner owner. Had a local dealership do water pump and timing belt about 10,000 miles ago.

brem

I'm impressed it just took me 3 days to do a timing belt on a 2006 Sequoia working in the afternoons. Quick question, did you use RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket for the water pump?

Retired Tanker

Explorer
I'm impressed it just took me 3 days to do a timing belt on a 2006 Sequoia working in the afternoons. Quick question, did you use RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket for the water pump?

I used this kit: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1872440&cc=1431001&jsn=408

No RTV, and so far, no leaks.

I also completely removed the radiator to give me a little more room and to avoid damaging it. Then I protected the AC coils with a couple layers of cardboard box.

Biggest PITA was breaking the crankshaft pulley bolt loose. I used the starter bump method, but as soon as the starter hits turn the key to full OFF; if you just release it, the computer will keep cranking it over.

Second biggest PITA was breaking the bolts loose between the fan and fan clutch. You just have to find a screw driver big enough to wedge between two different bolts to hold against the force of the wrench.

Everything else was pretty straight forward. After reassembling she started right up and ran smooth as a top.

The old belt looked absolutely pristine. But it's worth the peace of mind to have the new one on there.

AaronK

Explorer
Impact wrench made the crank pulley easier. But there was just BARELY enough room to get mine in there

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

brem

That makes sense, I used a little rtv along with the seal and noticed a very small amount of dried coolant on the top of the water pump about 50 miles after the service. The crank pulley bolt was a pain especially with no air tools, I had to take the flywheel inspection cover off and hold it stationary with a 14mm socket while I cranked the pulley bolt with the other hand. Thanks for the reply

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Impact wrench made the crank pulley easier. But there was just BARELY enough room to get mine in there

I think my little 1/2" impact wrench just wasn't up to the task. It's very much the economy model and probably is past it's prime.

Retired Tanker

Explorer
That makes sense, I used a little rtv along with the seal and noticed a very small amount of dried coolant on the top of the water pump about 50 miles after the service. The crank pulley bolt was a pain especially with no air tools, I had to take the flywheel inspection cover off and hold it stationary with a 14mm socket while I cranked the pulley bolt with the other hand. Thanks for the reply

That was an option, and would have been less risky than the starter bump.

Since I had already marked the belt and the cam gears, I had to manually rotate the engine BACK to align the timing marks.

AaronK

Explorer
I think my little 1/2" impact wrench just wasn't up to the task. It's very much the economy model and probably is past it's prime.
I have the Ryobi cordless impact wrench. I hit it for close to a minute before it finally broke free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles