2005 Montero Ltd modification questions

05overmonty

Has anyone replaced the standard motorized antenna with a fixed whip antenna? I don't want the antenna getting broken or caught on trees and its one step closer in the direction of dropping weight and simplifying the truck. And if I'm honest I simply don't like the look of the big chrome power antenna. I've never done the conversion before and wanted to know if anyone had any advice or instructions on how to do the swap.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yes, it is inexpensive and easy to do. Almost. It is a bit of a PIA to fish the wire through to the interior to plug into the radio. I recommend tying or taping a string or wire onto the old one before pulling it out. And then taping the new one to that same string and pulling the new one back in.

Also, if it’s not already obvious to you, there is a fastener holding the fender on that you can only reach with the passenger door open, through the door jamb. Took me a while to figure that out, but I’m mechanically stupid.

evomaki

Observer
I installed a small switch which cuts power to the antenna. Did this on my gen 2 and gen 3. That was the easiest thing to do. I doubt most of us are using the radio that much anyhow. Keep it down most to the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior