2005 G55K Initial Inspection/Maintenance

dgi

In the market for a new daily driver/travel 4x4 and found a 2005 G55K thats currently going through a Pre Purchase Inspection.

Current owner has had the truck for 6-7 years and only driven it about 7K miles (car collector). From what his service records indicate, its had an oil change a year and has some fresh front brake pads.

What type of maintenance should I jump on right away?

Im assuming tranny, axles/transfer case/ coolant/ brakes etc need to be flushed.

Other tips and tricks for a new owner to get the vehicle up to snuff and ready for the daily grind and long weekends away? 25K miles a year should be a cake walk!

MitsyMonty

tranny, axles/transfer case/ coolant/ brakes etc need to be flushed.

Other tips and tricks for a new owner to get the vehicle up to snuff and ready for the daily grind and long weekends away? 25K miles a year should be a cake walk!

Yep do all filters and fluids, recommend using Redline synthetics in the diffs and TC. Don't forget the brake fluid in the hydraulic lines for the diff lockers and the supercharger oil.

Common leak areas should be tested to ensure it's water tight before you get stuck in a rain storm; wiper stalks, door seals, sunroof drains, etc.

If you have any driveline vibrations those should be tended to.

Probably more things I'm forgetting but 05's are pretty solid trucks and hard to go wrong if it's lived a pampered life.

Reactions: dgi

dgi

Yep do all filters and fluids, recommend using Redline synthetics in the diffs and TC. Don't forget the brake fluid in the hydraulic lines for the diff lockers and the supercharger oil.

Common leak areas should be tested to ensure it's water tight before you get stuck in a rain storm; wiper stalks, door seals, sunroof drains, etc.

If you have any driveline vibrations those should be tended to.

Probably more things I'm forgetting but 05's are pretty solid trucks and hard to go wrong if it's lived a pampered life.
Could you point me in the right direction for specs on fluids i'll need and quantities? Im having a heck of a time finding a shop manual for this truck.

MitsyMonty

Could you point me in the right direction for specs on fluids i'll need and quantities? Im having a heck of a time finding a shop manual for this truck.

Here's a few I remember using in my 04 G500, sorry I don't have quantities noted.

Transmission - Redline D6 ATF
Diff fluid - Redline 75W-90 Gear Oil
Diff lock hydraulic actuation system fluid - DOT4+ brake fluid MB PN# 000989080701
Transfer case fluid - Redline MT-90

Try searching around a bit, there's a lot of good info on the clubgwagen and pointedthree forums. I also referenced my owner's manual for recommended fluid quantities haha

dgi

Here's a few I remember using in my 04 G500, sorry I don't have quantities noted.

Transmission - Redline D6 ATF
Diff fluid - Redline 75W-90 Gear Oil
Diff lock hydraulic actuation system fluid - DOT4+ brake fluid MB PN# 000989080701
Transfer case fluid - Redline MT-90

Try searching around a bit, there's a lot of good info on the clubgwagen and pointedthree forums. I also referenced my owner's manual for recommended fluid quantities haha

Called dealer yesterday and they specified 75W140 for the differentials and 75W90 for the transfer case.

You specified 75w90 for the diff. Any difference?

MitsyMonty

Called dealer yesterday and they specified 75W140 for the differentials and 75W90 for the transfer case.

You specified 75w90 for the diff. Any difference?

Hmm take a look through this thread, looks like AMG G55k and G63 may be different fluid spec for the diffs than the rest of the W463's.

Guessing the 75w90 would be fine for normal use but the 75w140 is better suited for high performance applications.. ie going above 90mph :)

Reactions: dgi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles