2005 G500 build by MG Metalworks

safariguy

Observer
My O'erlandewagen is up for sale. I forget how many miles have been added to it, front end has been crunched, selling for about the same as I sold it for 10yrs ago. <big eyes> Talk about depreciation having been depreciated already!
Eric, did you see this? $$$

Jeremy, were is your O'erlandewagen for sale?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Jeremy, were is your O'erlandewagen for sale?

Hey Andy!
Chad (friend who bought it from me) was talking about putting it up for sale months ago. I'm not sure if it's official yet, but email me and I can put you in touch! :)

usdmej

The OME shocks don't extend far enough for the springs to unseat. We've never experienced any issues and I put these shocks/springs in ~100k miles ago.

The vehicle's steering is a little slow to return to center but other than that, it drives fine with the caster as it is. It hasn't been an issue that's big enough for me to go through with changing the radius arm mounts or installing offset bushings.

thanks for clearing that up. good to see your ownership experience has been going so well!

shiann

While I wait for wheel bearings and seals to show up and the G-wagen is just sitting there with nowhere to go... may as well tear into the thing and get some projects done right?

I finished up my reversed tire carrier. I had a small brace laser'd to give a little stability to the standoffs that had to grow by 4+" to make this work. It fits snug down over the studs and the center tube and then my threaded stand-offs tighten up against it. Feels more stable than without it so I'm glad I did something like this. Because the tire is so heavy though, I think I'm going to consider this a temporary solution and ultimately build a bumper with a swing out tire carrier.

View attachment 276449
View attachment 276450

Next up was the rear door check (only one side is done at this point but I like the result so I'll do this to the other side when I get some more time).
View attachment 276451
View attachment 276452
View attachment 276453

I did the fabrication on this rather than purchasing the parts. I was testing out the possibility of making these for others but it is too much effort vs. just buying them. The best way to do these would require some tooling and batch production, probably in batches of hundreds of parts to make it worth while. I know how it can be done though if someone wants to produce and sell them. (designing machine parts and then devising a way to mass produce them is my day job...) :)

Any more info on how you accomplished the fully opening rear door? I would love this to help loading my 2 year old in the back.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
UPDATE 3/7/20
So... We went and test drove some replacement options and we (my wife) came to the conclusion that we (my wife) like the G and no car payments more than the prospects we looked at.

I'll be posting a fully detailed for sale ad for this rig soon but as a preview to the G-specific crew here, we're selling our 2005 W463.

$24,950 Sale cancelled...
-194,800 miles
-New tires in June 2020 (275/70-18 Cooper AT3 XLT). Frequent rotation including rotating in the spare.
-Front axle refreshed in June 2020. New CVs, all new wheel bearings, seals, tie rods, drag link, stabilizer.
-New brakes front and rear June 2020.
-I did the typical MB top end oil leak repair in March 2020 (valve cover gaskets, oil filter housing, hoses)
-New water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, belt in July 2020.
-Scheel-Mann "Traveler" seats in front. I also have the stock front seats in storage that will go with the rig.
-Lifted with OME springs and shocks
-ARB bull bar with Rigid amber fog lights.
-Trailer hitch receiver added in September 2020 (only used for a bike rack)

We are the second owner of this G. Mostly daily driver miles. When I haven't had time to service it myself, we took it to Matrix Integrated in Portland.

IMG_3237.jpgIMG_3239.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'll be posting a fully detailed for sale ad for this rig soon but as a preview to the G-specific crew here, we're selling our 2005 W463.

$24,950
-194,800 miles
-New tires in June 2020 (275/70-18 Cooper AT3 XLT). Frequent rotation including rotating in the spare.
-Front axle refreshed in June 2020. New CVs, all new wheel bearings, seals, tie rods, drag link, stabilizer.
-New brakes front and rear June 2020.
-I did the typical MB top end oil leak repair in March 2020 (valve cover gaskets, oil filter housing, hoses)
-New water pump, idler pulley, tensioner, belt in July 2020.
-Scheel-Mann "Traveler" seats in front. I also have the stock front seats in storage that will go with the rig.
-Lifted with OME springs and shocks
-ARB bull bar with Rigid amber fog lights.
-Trailer hitch receiver added in September 2020 (only used for a bike rack)

We are the second owner of this G. Mostly daily driver miles. When I haven't had time to service it myself, we took it to Matrix Integrated in Portland.

Dayummm that's a fantastic price on a well maintained and nicely modded G! 2nd owner 2005MY? Jeez, even mine was 3-5 owner IIRC I bought it back in '12.
GLWS!!

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
I'm in Portland and interested in the bumper, fogs and winch. Realize you don't want to part it out, but if you had the older bumper to put back on, I would be interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles