2005 G500 build by MG Metalworks

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
You should see mgmetalwork's fabrication shop and skills! He can make anything. Now all we got to do is get him to prototype some cool stuff for the G's (rear drawers, rear ladder, pistol safe, 2nd battery box, etc.).

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You should see mgmetalwork's fabrication shop and skills! He can make anything. Now all we got to do is get him to prototype some cool stuff for the G's (rear drawers, rear ladder, pistol safe, 2nd battery box, etc.).

This. This is true! I think he might have some drawers(or a drawer) for sale. Pistol safe would be sweet. Personally I think Karl(G-Wagen Access) ladder is the best out there, no real reason to re-invent the wheel there.

silvElise

Adventurer
This. This is true! I think he might have some drawers(or a drawer) for sale. Pistol safe would be sweet. Personally I think Karl(G-Wagen Access) ladder is the best out there, no real reason to re-invent the wheel there.

This is true! Karl already has a several top notch products on the market.

One item I would like to see is a front bumper.. aesthetically Something close to ARB style that wraps around to protect the fenders/front sides a bit more with a built in bull bar. I know some have retrofitted a Toyota LC ARB to their g, but it stuck out a bit too much and killed the approach angle. The best bumper I have seen to date in this style was WarnerD9's but he had it custom fabbed @ CBI.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
This is true! Karl already has a several top notch products on the market.

One item I would like to see is a front bumper.. aesthetically Something close to ARB style that wraps around to protect the fenders/front sides a bit more with a built in bull bar. I know some have retrofitted a Toyota LC ARB to their g, but it stuck out a bit too much and killed the approach angle. The best bumper I have seen to date in this style was WarnerD9's but he had it custom fabbed @ CBI.

I agree, his bumper looks very nice.
You've seen the Ironman bumper? Reminds me of an ARB? No idea on quality.

silvElise

Adventurer
I agree, his bumper looks very nice.
You've seen the Ironman bumper? Reminds me of an ARB? No idea on quality.

First time hearing of it honestly... Also cant seem to find any pictures on google images of it on a g thats not some overly body modified thing that looks like it belongs at sema or the local expensive mall

Also only place selling them says its for 2011+, I have a 2005

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
First time hearing of it honestly... Also cant seem to find any pictures on google images of it on a g thats not some overly body modified thing that looks like it belongs at sema or the local expensive mall

Also only place selling them says its for 2011+, I have a 2005

http://www.axsoffroad.com/product-p/bbcd036.htm
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...t-someone-figure-out-a-G55-front-winch-bumper

IIRC there was another thread about this, maybe on Clubgwagen or P3?

silvElise

Adventurer

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Sorry MG if this is thread jacking! mk216v looked on both and no dice, plus looked on that site but its marked as 2011+

I have been playing phone tag with CBI the last few days but if MG did come up with something and price was in reason I would be down :)

I don't know what would make it '11+ specific, must be something.
Let us know what CBI's is going for, we'd be curious.
-Jeremy

mgmetalworks

Explorer
It's been a long time... Our G has performed very well pulling mostly commuter duty for my wife for the last several years. We've put 100k miles on the rig and had only a few little things to fix along the way. All in all...it's been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Recently had a small fender bender (for the G it was small...the other car looks like it got bent in half). The damage was minor and limited to the fender, flare, lower fender, bumper and headlight. In my research to find a front bumper, it turns out it was going to be cheaper to install an ARB than find all the pieces needed for a factory bumper (plus paint match). So that's what I did...

This is the same bumper that others have used on G. It's for a 70 series Toyota. The mounting surfaces are only 1" off between the Toyota frame and the G. Pretty simple brackets to make it fit up. I did have to make another bracket for the oil cooler but it was simple enough.

bumper.JPG

Btw... The Cooper tires I put on earlier in this thread will make it to the spring before we have to replace them. They've been AMAZING tires! We rotate in the spare frequently and we've gotten our money's worth for sure!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
It's been a long time... Our G has performed very well pulling mostly commuter duty for my wife for the last several years. We've put 100k miles on the rig and had only a few little things to fix along the way. All in all...it's been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

Recently had a small fender bender (for the G it was small...the other car looks like it got bent in half). The damage was minor and limited to the fender, flare, lower fender, bumper and headlight. In my research to find a front bumper, it turns out it was going to be cheaper to install an ARB than find all the pieces needed for a factory bumper (plus paint match). So that's what I did...

This is the same bumper that others have used on G. It's for a 70 series Toyota. The mounting surfaces are only 1" off between the Toyota frame and the G. Pretty simple brackets to make it fit up. I did have to make another bracket for the oil cooler but it was simple enough.

View attachment 570221

Btw... The Cooper tires I put on earlier in this thread will make it to the spring before we have to replace them. They've been AMAZING tires! We rotate in the spare frequently and we've gotten our money's worth for sure!

One of the best (and most reliable?) vehicles you've ever owned?? :D

ARB looks awesome!! Moar pics please!

PS--Cooper ST Maxx, yes?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
One of the best (and most reliable?) vehicles you've ever owned?? :D

ARB looks awesome!! Moar pics please!

PS--Cooper ST Maxx, yes?

Yes.... I do curse its unnecessary complexity and the cost of parts to a degree but it has actually been less of pain than most of the vehicles I've owned.

will get more pics when we're out at the coast. It is more photogenic there.

and yes... Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires. They have been so awesome on this vehicle. I have them on my Transit too and they've worked really well.

otiswesty

Regular guy
I agree, my 2002 G500 was driven for 60K miles over 4 years and was absolutely the easiest car to maintain and use. I sold it for $2k less than I paid for it after doubling the mileage.

My 1999 G500 is awesome as well, eight years of ownership, 90K miles added to the odo, and always good for a 3000 mile road trip at the drop of a hat.

That ARB bumper looks awesome BTW

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I agree, my 2002 G500 was driven for 60K miles over 4 years and was absolutely the easiest car to maintain and use. I sold it for $2k less than I paid for it after doubling the mileage.

My 1999 G500 is awesome as well, eight years of ownership, 90K miles added to the odo, and always good for a 3000 mile road trip at the drop of a hat.

That ARB bumper looks awesome BTW

My O'erlandewagen is up for sale. I forget how many miles have been added to it, front end has been crunched, selling for about the same as I sold it for 10yrs ago. <big eyes> Talk about depreciation having been depreciated already!
Eric, did you see this? $$$

usdmej

Turns out the OME package is great and I don't need the spacers after all.

some (not all) vendors claim OME springs are not suitable for non-amg models because the springs will become loose when fully expanded. can you comment on this?

also, were you ever able to resolve your caster concerns?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The OME shocks don't extend far enough for the springs to unseat. We've never experienced any issues and I put these shocks/springs in ~100k miles ago.

The vehicle's steering is a little slow to return to center but other than that, it drives fine with the caster as it is. It hasn't been an issue that's big enough for me to go through with changing the radius arm mounts or installing offset bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles