2005 G500 build by MG Metalworks

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Those tires look good. I have been looking for a set of factory 16s to mount 255/85 R16s on.

I'm really liking how quiet they are on the highway. My wife was out with it most of the day and she never commented on tire noise...and believe me, she would have commented on it if it bothered her. :)

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I have some 40mm spacers that I've decided not to use. I only opened the package to take a picture, never installed. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

20150312_113244 (692x1024).jpg

I purchased the spacers to use with stock springs if I didn't like how the OME springs/shocks turned out. After having the OME parts on for a bit, I'm happy with the way it is and I don't need the spacers any more.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
While I wait for wheel bearings and seals to show up and the G-wagen is just sitting there with nowhere to go... may as well tear into the thing and get some projects done right?

I finished up my reversed tire carrier. I had a small brace laser'd to give a little stability to the standoffs that had to grow by 4+" to make this work. It fits snug down over the studs and the center tube and then my threaded stand-offs tighten up against it. Feels more stable than without it so I'm glad I did something like this. Because the tire is so heavy though, I think I'm going to consider this a temporary solution and ultimately build a bumper with a swing out tire carrier.

DSC_0700 (884x1024).jpg
DSC_0702 (1024x685).jpg

Next up was the rear door check (only one side is done at this point but I like the result so I'll do this to the other side when I get some more time).
DSC_0706 (685x1024).jpg
DSC_0707 (1024x685).jpg
DSC_0708 (685x1024).jpg

I did the fabrication on this rather than purchasing the parts. I was testing out the possibility of making these for others but it is too much effort vs. just buying them. The best way to do these would require some tooling and batch production, probably in batches of hundreds of parts to make it worth while. I know how it can be done though if someone wants to produce and sell them. (designing machine parts and then devising a way to mass produce them is my day job...) :)

K u r t

MG-

I'm curious why you bagged your idea to install the spacers. Are you happy with clearance of the stock suspension over those larger Coopers? - or do you have something else in mind for the suspension?

Great truck!

Kurt

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I installed the OME springs and shocks and they were good for about 40 mm of lift. I was worried they would be stiff so I got the spacers to use with stock springs if the OME setup didn't work out like I wanted.

Turns out the OME package is great and I don't need the spacers after all.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I know it's not nearly as exciting as a portal install but I finally have the front end back together after an extensive refresh. Right about the same time I installed the new tires, the left front started making a little noise. When I had things apart for the springs/shocks, I discovered that the wheel bearings were toast and the knuckle housings were oozing some dark slime. The left side was the worst since the CV boot was blown apart in addition to the bearings but the right side didn't disappoint with its worn axle seal and almost no grease on the bearings. Whoever did the previous set of bearings took some shortcuts too so I had some wrongs to right.

I spent a ton of time cleaning up both sides since there was a thick coating of grease everywhere. This is after the right side was back together.

20150328_144313 (576x1024).jpg

The CVs came apart as well and got a thorough cleaning. The left side was mother____ to get off the axle but the right side popped right off.

20150329_124610 (791x1024).jpg

Nice day for a test drive and a little bearing pre-load check. All systems go!

20150409_172155 (1024x608).jpg20150409_172205 (1024x609).jpg

I brought it back into the shop and changed the front diff oil before calling it a day. Our G is back in service! WOO HOO!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I had a chance today to put our G up on an alignment rack. I would have liked to do this before the OME springs went in but didn't have the opportunity. Today's measurements are now my baseline and I'll be designing/fabricating some frame side drop brackets to re-position the radius arms and correct the caster.

20150513_070855 (450x800).jpg

Based on how it drives, I was pretty sure the caster would be bad....and it was... less than 0.5 deg. Toe wasn't very good either but at least we could correct that on the spot (and that little change actually made it drive a little better). Now that I have some accurate measurements, I can do some mock-ups in Solidworks and find the right geometry for the brackets.

I'll probably make a few sets of brackets if anyone is interested.

chris505

Observer
You could buy the drop brackets from Mbz too I suspect for not much $ (ADF 461).

Beware that welding to the frame will burn off the factory applied paint and cavity wax inside the frame rails and rust may become an issue in the future. All that trouble and you're not even using 37s ;)(35s fit perfect with zero lift BTW).

The project sure looks great!

Last edited:

mgmetalworks

Explorer
You could buy the drop brackets from Mbz too I suspect for not much $ (ADF 461).

Beware that welding to the frame will burn off the factory applied paint and cavity wax inside the frame rails and rust may become an issue in the future. All that trouble and you're not even using 37s ;)(35s fit perfect with zero lift BTW).

The project sure looks great!

Thanks!

Designing parts for laser cutting/CNC forming/machining is what I do pretty much all day long so even though these drop brackets are available for a reasonable amount through various sources, I can make them exactly how I want them without much effort. I probably wouldn't go through all the trouble to make new mounts if the vehicle didn't drive like crap. I mean, it drives like it has less than half a degree of caster. I don't have any complaints about the OME springs. I like the amount of lift and I like the ride. The steering geometry just isn't good at all. I was surprised that it measured out as bad as it did but then again it explained a lot about how it handles right now.

35's would have been my preference but I opted for peace in the household. :)

McBride

Adventurer
I think I have an idea of what caster angle is and I've heard extensive mention of it as it relates to lifting a vehicle but... I'm not sure I understand exactly what it means and how a spring lift would adversely affect it.

How does it drive that indicated that it needed caster correction?

Any details/explanation would be much appreciated.

Also, any pics of your (wife's) G would be nice too - lots of pics are better - love G pics, even caster angle correction bracket pics.

Many thanks.

William

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles