2005 G500 build by MG Metalworks

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Hello all!

My wife decided that I didn't have enough to do building out our family adventure van so we picked up this 2005 G500.

Gwagen3 (800x600).jpg
Gwagen1 (800x781).jpg
Gwagen2 (600x800).jpg

Super clean, one owner, 97k miles with all of the dealer service history. The underside is as clean as I've seen on a vehicle of this age and mileage so we're pretty happy.

I'm compiling a list of things that I want to do with this but most of it will have to wait a little while so I can make progress on the Cummins conversion in our van. Consider it another development platform for new products though. :)

I do want to pick up a complete set of service manuals for this. I sent off some questions in an email to 4x4abc.com but never got a response. Should I be looking for the manuals elsewhere?

koly

Observer
Hello all!
... I sent off some questions in an email to 4x4abc.com but never got a response. Should I be looking for the manuals elsewhere?

Give him some time. He was just survived Hurricane Odile. Communications of any kind are spotty at best, and the entire area of La Paz is rebuilding after being virtually flattened.

Scott Brady

Founder
Sweet truck. Have always loved that silver color too. Fortunately, the G-Wagen requires minimal modification for serious exploration.

silvElise

Adventurer
Sweet truck. Have always loved that silver color too. Fortunately, the G-Wagen requires minimal modification for serious exploration.

Is there a nice list somewhere of what is suggested for modifications to do some more serious overlanding from stock?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Oooooh yeah MG, can't wait to see what you cook up!!

Is there a nice list somewhere of what is suggested for modifications to do some more serious overlanding from stock?
How serious is serious? Chris505 is probably the most serious abuser of the W463 G-Wagen. On 35's and knocks his truck around pretty darn good.

silvElise

Adventurer
Oooooh yeah MG, can't wait to see what you cook up!!

How serious is serious? Chris505 is probably the most serious abuser of the W463 G-Wagen. On 35's and knocks his truck around pretty darn good.
I guess not that serious not hoping to do 35s I already have a fees set of the all terrains on my 18" rims I was thinking more sliders and under armour maybe nice back platform with fridge. WS just wondering if there were some must haves to consider out that realm :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I guess not that serious not hoping to do 35s I already have a fees set of the all terrains on my 18" rims I was thinking more sliders and under armour maybe nice back platform with fridge. WS just wondering if there were some must haves to consider out that realm :)

Karl makes some of these parts;
http://g-wagenaccessories.com/products/vehicleProtection.htm
I have his sliders and steps on my G and love them; impeccable fit and finish.

Overall, a G with good tires will go lots and lots of places as is.

silvElise

Adventurer
Karl makes some of these parts;
http://g-wagenaccessories.com/products/vehicleProtection.htm
I have his sliders and steps on my G and love them; impeccable fit and finish.

Overall, a G with good tires will go lots and lots of places as is.
Already plan to contact him :) Bought the rear tire cover\storage after upgrading to the ATs. Great part!

Was about to call on Monday to get the sliders but as luck would have it my passenger window regulator finally saw its end. Since I'm in downtown SF with a garage that doesn't allow auto work need to get a mechanic to do it :(

So need to see where the budget lands after.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The first of many upgrades for our G kicked off today with some new tires. I ended up deciding on the Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX 275/70R-18. I like them so far and the wife is pretty happy about the changes to the appearance (I'm hoping she still feels the same way when the suspension is installed). :sombrero:

tires3.jpg
tires2.jpg

I got the t-case module adjusted using the info provided by others on the web. Haven't gotten to the the instrument cluster yet... still learning how to use the software and I ran out of time for the day. I'm about 3mph off on the speedo right now with this combo. I think there's still room for a little improvement too. Road manners were great on my spirited little test drive through the twisty corners nearby. I haven't experienced any rubbing yet but there isn't much clearance for these tires at stock height. I imagine I'd be stuffing these into the fenders on any near-max articulation kind of trail. That problem will be solved in a few weeks though.

Hardly worth mentioning but I also replaced the lights on the top of the fenders since the originals were looking pretty yellow'd and aged. Surprising how such a subtle little thing can really tidy up the look of the vehicle. What a PITA though... Mercedes apparently doesn't like captive fasteners like the US automakers would use.

Tomorrow I might try to figure out an easy way to flip the spare around on the back so you don't see the inside of the wheel. Moments like this I wish I still had my CNC plasma table...sigh...

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Progress on the spare tire mount. Stopped by the steel yard today and picked up a thick walled tube to machine some spacers. Both ends are threaded so basically you just spin them on the existing mounting studs then use some lug bolts to hold the wheel to the stand offs (with the added benefit of having 3 extra lug bolts on hand if the need arises). The large center tube still needs a little finish work but basically my plan is to make an end cap that will help center things up a little and lock the spare to the mount.

20150214_151854 (450x800).jpg

I may machine these down just a bit to get my tire closer to the door but if I do end up making a kit available for others, I'll probably stick with this amount of stand off so it can accommodate a little wider tire than I have.

20150214_151613 (450x800).jpg

Just needs a couple little finishing touches...

20150214_151544 (450x800).jpg
20150214_151506 (450x800).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles