2005 Ford F-450 Earthroamer, Salvaged, Mexico, Auction

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Your book is snapshotted, and your answer about sexy in MX is answered...read on curious workerdrone

Whoa - you've been through a lot, fella - and I am indeed sorry to hear of the loss of your wife - it's my greatest worry in traveling some of the countries I do with mine, that something bad might happen to her that I might be powerless to prevent. I hope this new year treats you more peacefully

On the subject of bringing a vehicle south of the border, and into central america, yes we'll likely opt for something older, mechanically 'sexy', and cosmetically far from it. And of a value that a total loss would not be in any way life changing for us.

I'd also not be surprised to have no unusual troubles of any kind throughout the journey. In 2+ years of full time travel now, the only trouble we had was inside the USA. Knock on wood.

Best wishes from Jardin, Colombia

adam88

Explorer
I wont say much but i do believe some of your story is farfetched and possibly unreal. All of this for a replaceable car? It doesn’t add up. Like I mentioned before, you got off easy. Give it up and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The story does sound made up.

wollbs

The story does sound made up.

wow! i could barely follow the story. im sorry for the loss of tour wife, that loss is almost incomprehensible. the loss of your earthroamer is inconsequential compared to the loss of of a loved one. good luck

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Thats the gamble going to places like that with a high price rig. Its just how it is man.

Kgh

Let’s go already!
Very interesting, yet convoluted story. My thought while reading was how does someone go from finacial ability to purchase/finance an Earthroamer to having only lint in their pocket? And are there some meds needed to stabilize things...? :)

This is the 3rd world. All of the rig's owner experience with various people in his life, as he stated, did not prepare him for a place where life is cheap.

As for the “Trump Insulted Mehico!” post, as you daft? Grow up. Have you even the slightest grasp on Mexico's politics, corruption, and that fact that it is a failed state with ungoverned spaces? This is not the Mexico from the 80's, when Nuevo Laredo and TJ were quick hops to have a few beers. This is narcoterrorism, and cartels as de facto leaders of large swaths of geography.

Would I travel through Mexico? Yes. But no solo, nor with a rig like that. And advice to haul *** til well away from the border is sound.

I hope that things work out, and that he finds peace.

SnowCrackerUT

Uh...wow. What a unreadable stream of consciousness with random detail, bizarre side stories, and a fractured mental state. Your God certainly tested your faith. Like Poisonwood Bible with an Earthtoamer. You are welcome around my campfire anytime sir. Keep on grinding and I hope someday you can make sense of it all.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
Very interesting, yet convoluted story. My thought while reading was how does someone go from finacial ability to purchase/finance an Earthroamer to having only lint in their pocket? And are there some meds needed to stabilize things...? :)

This is the 3rd world. All of the rig’s owner experience with various people in his life, as he stated, did not prepare him for a place where life is cheap.

As for the “Trump Insulted Mehico!” post, as you daft? Grow up. Have you even the slightest grasp on Mexico’s politics, corruption, and that fact that it is a failed state with ungoverned spaces? This is not the Mexico from the 80’s, when Nuevo Laredo and TJ were quick hops to have a few beers. This is narcoterrorism, and cartels as de facto leaders of large swaths of geography.

Would I travel through Mexico? Yes. But no solo, nor with a rig like that. And advice to haul *** til well away from the border is sound.

I hope that things work out, and that he finds peace.

To deny KGH's musing is to ignore the reality of the place known as Mexico. What is not happening is the media coverage of the frequency of events that occurs there on a regular, almost daily basis. What is discouraging is that it is the indigenous population that are suffering. Are tourists safe? Mostly. Depends where you go and how flashy you look. Fact of the matter is the MX federal government has let it be known to avoid harassing the tourists. We bring too much $$$ there that locals (not cartels) depend on.

But to suggest that it's like traveling to Key West or S. Padre Island is to suggest a lack of experience or being very Naïve about the reality of living in this country. I have many friends who are from this part of the world living in the part of the world I reside in. What I hear from them is not to be doubted. There are very real reasons as to why so many are trying to come here (US)...

Caveat Lector

BenHedrick

Adventurer
In 2016, driving to Big Bend Texas, I literally by accident drove up to and then into Mexico with $120,000 rig of my Jeep/Teardrop trailer, (1) FLIR camera, (1) AR15, (2) 9mm pistols and some beer and liquor, by myself. I looked like I was built for some bad stuff in Mexico. I guess I wasn't "paying attention" and missed my right turn to continue to Big Bend National Park and instead I drove right up to the boarder crossing into Mexico. I couldn't backup and so they insisted that I drive into Mexico and then back out through US Customs!!!! :Wow1: NOT GOOD!!! Luckily the US Customs officer believed me I never was inspected and I certainly didn't volunteer any information as to what I had with me and of course I told them that I had made a mistake and was only there to turn around. LUCKILY, I made it out... It could have gone oh so WRONG so so quickly!!! Not sure I'll EVER drive into Mexico again. Maybe flying, not driving... :sombrero:

Longest 67 minutes of my life!!!!!

Ben

adam88

Explorer
In 2016, driving to Big Bend Texas, I literally by accident drove up to and then into Mexico with $120,000 rig of my Jeep/Teardrop trailer, (1) FLIR camera, (1) AR15, (2) 9mm pistols and some beer and liquor, by myself. I looked like I was built for some bad stuff in Mexico. I guess I wasn't "paying attention" and missed my right turn to continue to Big Bend National Park and instead I drove right up to the boarder crossing into Mexico. I couldn't backup and so they insisted that I drive into Mexico and then back out through US Customs!!!! :Wow1: NOT GOOD!!! Luckily the US Customs officer believed me I never was inspected and I certainly didn't volunteer any information as to what I had with me and of course I told them that I had made a mistake and was only there to turn around. LUCKILY, I made it out... It could have gone oh so WRONG so so quickly!!! Not sure I'll EVER drive into Mexico again. Maybe flying, not driving... :sombrero:

Longest 67 minutes of my life!!!!!

Ben

Only one AR15 and two handguns? Why were you packing so light?

cleansweep

Observer
​This has got to be the most ridiculous group of words I have ever read on Expedition Portal..............someone should really put this story out of it's misery
Just sayin...........

R50JR

Mexico isn't dangerous to solo travel around, I did it when I was 18 as my graduating high school trip. I drove from Minnesota to Belize- took all summer. If you respect the locals they'll respect you. (BTW you NEED insurance and it would've 100% helped you) Its guys that say all this bad stuff about overlanding through Mexico, how its so corrupt and dangerous that have never been there or traveled through Mexico (or just went about it the exact way you shouldn't have)- you guys just watch CNN and expect the worst because a news caster said it was bad, scaring individuals away from an amazing experience, so put some time in and go travel there- just be smart about it, so if you got your vehicle impounded and ordered to be sold off, you really messed something up (I saw a UNIDAN U1300L pulled over by a larger seeming to be militarized force, and i also saw the owner 4 hours later after he paid a $20.00USD bribe, the owner, Jamie, said they took tequila shots, traded some food items, laughed and he was on his way after just giving them some dough and showing some hospitality).

Oaxaca has the best surfing other than Indo, and you can get 3 huge meals for $2.00USD, another plus is the culture and that medical is extremely inexpensive. I had to get 9 stitches (took a surfboard to the face) and it was $6.00USD- No it wasn't in someones bamboo hut, it was a very small but clean and nice Hospital. - I also met 2 awesome solo traveling females from Norway, and Jersey (not in the US, apparently off the coast of France) they had no issues traveling alone.

Don't travel on the highways when high ranking political people are in town, I got pulled over 9 times in 2 hours so the military could search my vehicle- it was frustrating but I never felt threatened. I treated them all with respect, told them where I was headed and saw a few of them later that evening, they brought sea food so we immediately became friends.

Scared to solo through mexico with a nice rig? You see more Unicats, Actionmobile and unique high dollar rigs traveling the PanAm than you do around the states (not including overland expo)- When I was in Baja I saw a million dollar MAN KAT 6x6 being captained by a 72 year old German man and his wife that I'm guessing was an easy 30 years younger than himself- they started in Chile, only issues they had were loading the vehicle onto a container ship to bypass the Darien gap, they let a local yard worker drive it onto the ship, and he ran over some other US travelers GS1200 with their rig. Resulting in some plane tickets' and a new bike being bought.

You just have to be smart about traveling, stay away from the heavy cartel influenced areas, if a cop pulls you over for something you didn't do, say its on camera and you don't have any cash- they'll let you go, and will probably end up partying with you later that night. Just show them respect- there are bad people there, just like the US.

Huh????

To deny KGH's musing is to ignore the reality of the place known as Mexico. What is not happening is the media coverage of the frequency of events that occurs there on a regular, almost daily basis. What is discouraging is that it is the indigenous population that are suffering. Are tourists safe? Mostly. Depends where you go and how flashy you look. Fact of the matter is the MX federal government has let it be known to avoid harassing the tourists. We bring too much $$$ there that locals (not cartels) depend on.

But to suggest that it's like traveling to Key West or S. Padre Island is to suggest a lack of experience or being very Naïve about the reality of living in this country. I have many friends who are from this part of the world living in the part of the world I reside in. What I hear from them is not to be doubted. There are very real reasons as to why so many are trying to come here (US)...

Caveat Lector

Perfectly said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles