2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - comments or warnings?

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee that I have outfitted for trail riding - not overlanding, per se - but mostly forest trails, rocks, mud, day trip camping type things. She's at the point where its no longer fun to drive it to the trails.

One of my wife's co-workers just posted his 2005 Expo Eddie Bauer for sale. I'm planning to go look at it early this week. I don't know a lot about the Expedition line in general, as the last 7 vehicles we've bought were all Jeeps. I know this is the 2wd and, until I see for myself, will assume that it does not have the heavy duty towing package - so I'm looking at a towing capacity of about 6000 lbs. The Jeep, loaded, sits at about 4000-4200 lbs, and the trailer I have access to comes in at another 1000 - 1200, so all in - close to 5500 lbs - which is just about 500 over what either of my Grand Cherokees will tow.

So, I am looking at this Ford as an "around town" vehicle, a tow vehicle, and a "base camp" when I am at the trails. She has 194xxx on it, and on average I put about 6000-8000 miles on my daily driver in any given year. I'm on pace to be under 5000 for 2016 right now.

Any suggestions, thoughts, real world experience? The only feedback I've gotten is from my brother who put 175,000 miles on his 2008 from new. He said it was the best vehicle they'd ever owned, but decided to trade it in on a 2016 Explorer anyway.

Appreciate the feedback y'all.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I don't know much about the 2nd gen Expeditions, but they seem to be fairly good vehicles. Somewhere around that year range had some issues with cam phasers in the engine- but I really don't know much about it since it doesn't effect mine.

Check out ford-trucks.com and expeditionforum.com has a good thread in the 2nd gen section about what to look for when buying a 2nd gen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94