2005 F550 Ford 4X4 Mobile Test Lab Conversion Diesel Custom Box Truck

The “Dirt Lab”
Apple Valley, CA

Background History:
This unit was built to order for BJ Oilfield Services to act as a mobile environmental test lab. BJ Services, now part of Baker Hughes, is a world leader in environmental services to the petroleum industry. The truck was delivered as a cab and chassis to General Truck Body in Houston Texas were the build was completed. General Truck Body has been building custom units like this since 1917. By the time the dust settled, this unit cost BJ Services about $150,000, about $60,000 for the truck and $90,000 for the box. Why should any of this matter to you? For one thing no company is going to pay $90,000 for a box that is not exceptionally well built. Time is money in the oilfields so breakdowns are not acceptable. The box must also be able to withstand extremes in temperature, minus 50 to plus 120. No matter what you choose to do with this unit you can bet that it will be up to the task.

Our Project Plans:
We purchased this unit with the idea of converting it to a Backcountry/Overlander type vehicle.

Why are we selling it:
My wife’s health has collapsed and it appears that our travels to remote areas are over.

The Cab and Chassis:
A 2005 Ford F-550 four wheel drive single cab. Engine: 6.0 Turbo Diesel. The transfer case is engaged by a shift lever on the floor. The front locking hubs are manual Ford units. Running gear is stock Ford with a Dana Super 60 in the front and a Dana 110 in the rear. Gearing is 4:88. This is a dually configuration running 225/70/19.5 tires. The four tires on the rear are Michein XDS’s with a moderate all terrain tread, while the fronts are Hercules with a standard highway tread.

Condition of Cab and Chassis:
Mileage: 121,104 All systems are in good working order. In January, 2011 just before the truck went out of service, the motor was replaced with a Jasper rebuilt, ID#937948. I talked with the shop in Wyoming that did the install and as part on the install a new Oil cooler and EGR cooler were also installed. As best as I can determine there are about 7,000 mi on the new motor. After an examination by a local shop, the thermostatically controlled cooling fan was found to be faulty and replaced---a $510.00 part from Ford. Ouch!

Box and current equipment:
Size: 15ft long, 8ft wide, 7ft high.
Windows: There are (4) dual pane windows in the main box, and (2) smaller windows. Two of the larger and one of the smaller windows has lost its’ seal and will have to be replaced. You would probably want to do this anyway as the windows are not designed to open.
Exterior Bay Doors: (8) Ranging from small to one very large door for the generator bay.
Counters and Cabinets: There are counters and cabinets already in place that could be used as is or moved to a different location.
There is a small sink with a 49 gal stainless steel grey water tank.
The fresh water tank is 35 gal , also stainless steel.
Electrical :
• 2500 watt Xantrex converter
• Provision for (1) 12v house battery
• Automobile type stereo unit
• Roof air conditioner
• Red Dot Dual fan heater that connects to the truck radiator
• Comprehensive generator control panel with remote monitor panel for the Xantrex converter
• 12v fuse panel with (6) circuits
• 220v panel with 10 circuit breakers
• Complete electrical schematic provided by General Truck Body

What I don’t know about the electrical system and why:
Unlike a normal RV system this unit was not designed to use 110v shore power. The truck would be driven to a well site and then operated on 220v supplied by a large diesel generator. UNFORTUNATELY THE GENERATOR HAD BEEN REMOVED PRIOR TO OUR PURCHASE. This means that instead of the 110v panel that you would find in an RV you have a 220v panel just like you would find in your house. My problem is that I have not been able to power up the system as I don’t have a 220v source. Since I have not been able to power up the system I cannot verify the condition of the components. What I can verify is that the wiring seems to be intact. I have run continuity checks on some of the circuits with satisfactory results. Also, the wiring corresponds to the schematic provided by the builder.

2005 F550 Ford 4X4 Mobile Test Lab Conversion Diesel Custom Box Truck
ASKING $18, 895
View attachment 191764 drivers front.jpgdrivers rear.jpgView attachment 191764

Attachments

• Passengers side.jpg
    Passengers side.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 4,384
Last edited:
You May have seen this rig at last years Overland Expo. We were there soliciting ideas for our build. We received lots of positive feedback.

mburdick

Wiring diagram

I just bought one of these who or how did you get a wiring diagram. mine came with a 7.5kw 120v onan generator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior