2005 e350 5.4 4x4 swap!! Zf6 manual worth it?

Msmithabr

IMG_20191018_180318.jpg
Well this is the state the project found itself in Friday afternoon. Have yet to get a good look at the frame. Goof ball ran a stop sign. It wasn't until the dust settled that I realized I rolled storage into base liability for the test drive and never changed it to comp ?‍♂️ Michigan and the no fault business. If the van is twisted beyond my liking I will either find another shell and move the swap or pull the swap and sell it. Take it how it comes I suppose. Broke my toe. No other injuries. Passenger in the other car was lucky I was paying better attention than her husband. Loaded with tools at 55 would have made a pretty rough mess of that little SUV thing.
IMG_20191018_180324.jpg
Mike

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

That truly sucks. I'm glad you're ok and no one was more seriously injured. I've had a few reminders recently as to how mortal we are. Something about seeing a healthy person on death's door while you're there holding their hand has a way of doing that.

Having to start over is frustrating... but the van and SUV are both replaceable. The work will be a bigger thing, but this time you'll be able to learn from the first time and do it even better.

I'd love to have a stick... but I've recently passed the 20 year anniversary of my left knee being FUBARed. In 2002 it was described as that of a 95 year old... I just saw that same surgeon today, and he says there still aren't any surgical options, and to continue making the best of it... perhaps in another 10 years. For now, cortisone, and a grease job will have to do... so no new stick vehicles (still have my 40 though).

Lilnuts

"I'd love to have a stick... but I've recently passed the 20 year anniversary of my left knee being FUBARed. In 2002 it was described as that of a 95 year old... I just saw that same surgeon today, and he says there still aren't any surgical options, and to continue making the best of it... perhaps in another 10 years. For now, cortisone, and a grease job will have to do... so no new stick vehicles (still have my 40 though)."

Knee replacement is not an option?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
"I'd love to have a stick... but I've recently passed the 20 year anniversary of my left knee being FUBARed. In 2002 it was described as that of a 95 year old... I just saw that same surgeon today, and he says there still aren't any surgical options, and to continue making the best of it... perhaps in another 10 years. For now, cortisone, and a grease job will have to do... so no new stick vehicles (still have my 40 though)."

Knee replacement is not an option?

Too young…. “The life expectancy of an artificial knee in someone your (my) age is 5-8 years. Best case senecio it can be replaced twice, and then you’ll loose the leg… any questions?”

Suddenly, after that speech, my knee feels a whole lot better. The prospect of loosing my leg before I’m 60 isn’t remotely appealing. I’ll make these knees last as long as possible. So far 20 years… that’s a 15 more than an artificial one would have lasted. Hopefully I’ll get another 20 out of them at least.

Msmithabr

Would to see this manual van live again.
I was distracted by a boat project that got needlessly complex as things do. Still dealing with that, but the van is officially back in the shop and ready to be ripped apart. Progress won't be blistering fast but we will get it done. I believe I will go forward with the 4x4 front conversion this time before it leaves the shop. Once things leave the hoist they don't tend to make it back on it. Won't be making that mistake again. I want it done done this time.

Msmithabr

That truly sucks. I'm glad you're ok and no one was more seriously injured. I've had a few reminders recently as to how mortal we are. Something about seeing a healthy person on death's door while you're there holding their hand has a way of doing that.

Having to start over is frustrating... but the van and SUV are both replaceable. The work will be a bigger thing, but this time you'll be able to learn from the first time and do it even better.

I'd love to have a stick... but I've recently passed the 20 year anniversary of my left knee being FUBARed. In 2002 it was described as that of a 95 year old... I just saw that same surgeon today, and he says there still aren't any surgical options, and to continue making the best of it... perhaps in another 10 years. For now, cortisone, and a grease job will have to do... so no new stick vehicles (still have my 40 though).

I struggle with a bit of patella tendonitis with some regularity. Nothing like what you are dealing with but I will say any kind of joint pain puts a real damper on things. I can't imagine if it were more severe and constant. Hang in there.

To be honest if Ford would have put a decent trans in the van to begin with I probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble myself. I used the van as a one ton vehicle as intended. The baby 4r is notoriously not up to the task. The 4r100 is a different beast entirely. I've had great luck with them in the diesel trucks.

Msmithabr

Good to see you going for it again! Should be easier the second time around.
I sure hope so. Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately the new roller is an rsc equiped van. So we will open that can of worms. Hopefully it's nothing too exciting. Again, I really hate the wiring aspect of any build.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I struggle with a bit of patella tendonitis with some regularity. Nothing like what you are dealing with but I will say any kind of joint pain puts a real damper on things. I can't imagine if it were more severe and constant. Hang in there.

To be honest if Ford would have put a decent trans in the van to begin with I probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble myself. I used the van as a one ton vehicle as intended. The baby 4r is notoriously not up to the task. The 4r100 is a different beast entirely. I've had great luck with them in the diesel trucks.
Mine is a’ ‘97 so it has an E4OD in it. It has been replaced at least once. I don’t know if the Ambulance service would do anything special to the transmission when it was replaced, but I feel it’s safe to say it’s at least as strong… if not stronger than an OEM E4OD. It needs to be since it’s a 9500 lb rig ‘empty’. :D

Msmithabr

Mine is a’ ‘97 so it has an E4OD in it. It has been replaced at least once. I don’t know if the Ambulance service would do anything special to the transmission when it was replaced, but I feel it’s safe to say it’s at least as strong… if not stronger than an OEM E4OD. It needs to be since it’s a 9500 lb rig ‘empty’. :D
The e40d is a stout trans. Far superior to the 4r75 in my opinion. A better comparable for the 40d would be the 4r100. Which is a solid trans as well. The 4r75 that came in my 05 e350 is a decent trans for a half ton I would say. Definitely not a one ton trans. And they knew that. Which is why the cutaways and the one ton pickups got a bigger trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles