2005 e350 5.4 4x4 swap!! Zf6 manual worth it?

Msmithabr

Thinking about a zf6 with manual transfercase out of a gasser f450. Building a kingpin 60 currently and want to get the trans and transfer part nailed down before anything else as this is a driver. Bought the van for 2300 with 108k miles rust free 15 pass. Told it has a trans issue. Blinky light on the stalk probably tc. Goes down the road and seat of the pants seems to shift fine.

So rebuild the 4r75? or do the 6 speed swap and gain the manual transfer case all in one swoop? Just looking for opinions. 1000 bucks buys the zf6 and transfer case. Seems like a solid deal.

Is it worth it? Random thoughts?

Thanks all,
Mike

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
As long as you can get the clutch pedal assembly I'd say go for it. Look in the junkyard as manuals were available with the 6 cylinders but not easy to find as hardly optioned.
That mysterious 3rd pedal is the modern day theft deterrent. Friend was able to keep his car because the stupid car jacker couldn't figure out how to drive it.
Everything I own minus my short bus is a manual and at some point down the road I would LOVE to put a manual in. More control and more fun. Just need to get the funds and parts and time. Won't be anytime soon though as I just had my 4R100 built n beefed up for my U-joint conversion.

Raul

Adventurer
I was in the same situation when building my MG conversion- 2010 5.4. The only automatic vehicles I've ever owned are the vans. I didn't go Manual on the van because I wasn't sure if the engine ECU uses feedback from the transmission. I was afraid the engine will believe the transmissions is not shifting and limit output or some self-preserving strategy.
Keep us posted.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
yes the manual ECU and the auto ECU are diffrent...the AUTO will always have it high idle...the computer senses when you put the auto in gear and will increase the idle to make up for the parasitic loss of the automatic trans.

if the light is blinking it MIGHT be a bad servo and an easy fix...dropping it at a tranny shop and have them diagnose it would be a good first step...(could be an ECU needs reflashed and much simpler and quicker than a hard part repair)

but it IS possible...flywheel, clutch, pedals..linkages..and a ECU wizard will make it run right!

Msmithabr

Update

Trans shop says tft sensor. 350 bucks to fix it. Told me they get even the 3/4 ton service vans in all the time with the 4r75. Told them what I plan to do with it and they said "DO IT!!"

So that and the feedback here has got me wanting it even more. Collecting parts. Have an electrical guru and Im a fabricator by trade. Should be fun.

For pedal I may go wilwood reverse mount swinger. Have to look under the dash and see whats possible. Cable conversion? Cable to remote master? Anything is possible nowadays. Will cross that bridge when we get there I suppose. May do a video series and if so, I'll link it.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Mike

Msmithabr

I read his entire build. Diesel. Im a little 5.4 gasser right now. It was a great read. All the photobucket pictures were replaced with the nonsense third party notice. I wish I could see the pictures. Would probably be a great help.

Msmithabr

Thank you sir!! Not much of a computer guy. I'll see if I can get it sorted. What he did with the top has me interested as well. I stalked his instagram a bit and found a couple pics but nothing in detail.

Msmithabr

Okay so stuff has been happening. Don't mind the mess and the baking soda. Had a small moisture issue in the makeshift shop. What a nightmare. Just checking in. Will update when progress is more impressive. Time AND money don't coexist around here very often. Its one or the other. And yes trans is painted. Don't flame to hard. Going up 8 inches. It will be seen. Used 309 filler for the tank to prevent seam corrosion. Plan on an aluminum tank in the future. Just a get me by. Does anyone know how the retention pins work on the throw out bearing? Do they engage under pressure after install? Or is there no retention on the fork at all?

Thanks folks,
Mike

1218181334.jpg1218181335.jpg1218181333a.jpg15451584448806491801206980400748.jpg

Msmithabr

Where is the shifter going to stick out thru the floor? Correct location?
Just hung the trans. Ratchet straps and solo. Won't do that again. Stock sd truck shifter isnt to my liking. But the location isn't bad. Probably going to hinge the floor notch for future clutch maintenance. Don't want the big bulge to be permanent. Everything is relatively close though. 15451679980654539548807121734534.jpg15451680374196868216429383619530.jpg
Thats the flap I will work over and hinge. Takes a bunch of room to get it in there easy. Probably not that much room. But I got carried away.15451681524848352407548725719848.jpg
Wish I would have taken more time on the floor cut. Got impatient. Wouldn't recommend that!

Thanks,
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles