2005 Chevy Colorado Build Up

evan

Cool truck and I like the skinnies in the last pictures. I've heard skinny tires work well for winter conditions, how have they been for you?

You mentioned you were hoping for an improvement in gas mileage when you had the 4.11's installed. Did you notice a difference?

Token

Explorer
Another I-5 3.5 Cool looking rig.. I think we need to put our heads together and talk about some of these mods.. I've got an H3 and a lot of the stuff should cross over pretty easily.. Like those Senergy Shackles you went for.. The front YJ +1.5 shackles give you just under 2 inches of lift in back for about $25 if you shop smart. I've got a good source in some skids to go under all that crap that hangs under the rear axle to keep from banging stuff up.. Extended Bump stops for the front end, etc, etc..

Biggest question I've got is about that diff drop deal.. First I've heard of it.. Not sure if it'd be worth the hassle for and extra half inch or not.. I've (most folks wheeling H3s) had more problems with the rear suspension.. I'd turned my torsion bars up a bit up front to level things out.. Gained about 2 inches over stock which made a world of difference in getting over stuff.. Was elvel for a while, but the rear springs started sagging.. Did the shackles in back and gained almost 2" (maybe 1" over what it was before the sagging springs.. Of course two years later, the rear has once again sagged below OEM New.. Guessing my next stop will be an axle flip.. Get the rear end back up higher and get rid of all the crap under the axle that keeps dragging and catching on rocks.

Anyroads...

I need to read my own thread more often.

U gotta love the Hummer rims-nice personal touch.

They have worked out well. I originally went with them simply because I needed 16 inch rims to run the 265/75 16 inch tires. In the beginning I didn't know too much about rim sizing so I didn't know what would fit. I saw a few other Colorado owners go with the hummer rims so I knew they would work.

Cool truck and I like the skinnies in the last pictures. I've heard skinny tires work well for winter conditions, how have they been for you?

You mentioned you were hoping for an improvement in gas mileage when you had the 4.11's installed. Did you notice a difference?

My 33 x 9.5 inch BFG AT's have worked great over this past winter. I am really happy with them.

I have made too many changes to the truck to figure out what mods have helped or hurt the gas mileage. The main consideration is the weight and with this being heavier the gas mileage has gone down.

Another I-5 3.5 Cool looking rig.. I think we need to put our heads together and talk about some of these mods.. I've got an H3 and a lot of the stuff should cross over pretty easily.. Like those Senergy Shackles you went for.. The front YJ +1.5 shackles give you just under 2 inches of lift in back for about $25 if you shop smart. I've got a good source in some skids to go under all that crap that hangs under the rear axle to keep from banging stuff up.. Extended Bump stops for the front end, etc, etc..

Biggest question I've got is about that diff drop deal.. First I've heard of it.. Not sure if it'd be worth the hassle for and extra half inch or not.. I've (most folks wheeling H3s) had more problems with the rear suspension.. I'd turned my torsion bars up a bit up front to level things out.. Gained about 2 inches over stock which made a world of difference in getting over stuff.. Was elvel for a while, but the rear springs started sagging.. Did the shackles in back and gained almost 2" (maybe 1" over what it was before the sagging springs.. Of course two years later, the rear has once again sagged below OEM New.. Guessing my next stop will be an axle flip.. Get the rear end back up higher and get rid of all the crap under the axle that keeps dragging and catching on rocks.

Anyroads...

Some good ideas there. First off the diff drop was a really easy mod. I have no idea if it's helping anything but for how cheap and easy it was I figured what the heck. As far as the back end goes, my airbags let me fine tune to any road or load conditions that I may encounter. They don't work for all applications but they have been good for me.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Nice Colorado!

Earlier this week the wife and I were in Anza Borrego wheeling. Off in the distance I saw a truck making good time. To my surprise appeared a stock Chevy Colorado crewcab with seven occupants. The truck's ride was controlled and succeeded in not launching the three guys riding in the bed! Pretty impressive for a bone stock truck. It didn't have any emblems or stickers indicating an upgraded suspension. Kudos to Chevy!

Updates

I made a couple of changes in preparation for my three week Newfoundland / Labrador trip that I will be leaving on July 3rd.

Full size spare
I ordered a fifth H3 rim from ebay and just barely squeezed my 265/75 16 E rated BFG AT into the stock spare tire location.
DSC02986.jpg

Shelving unit
I also removed my back seat and constructed a basic (very basic) shelving unit in order to be able to carry all of the gear I will need.

Passenger side
DSC02984.jpg

Seven extra gallons of water will come in handy.

Drivers side
DSC02985.jpg

I made a place for my original donut spare tire. I figure I can limp back to civilization on this if all else fails.

Last edited:

BrodyAzure

if your driving around at night, a good investment would be some HID's. I know theyre mostly used on litte tuners, but they are a hell of alot brighter better. i just had 6k pure white installed for my low beam and 3k yellow for my high beam, and i have the relay for high beams too! and its made a HUGE difference

DSCF2492.jpg

nice build interior and exterior of your truck

Thank you

So what did the problem end up being?

I think the guy said a tooth had snapped off or something like that. Anyway, I had them put one in with a factory warranty so I should be good to go for a while. Just a side note, it happened after I had already taken the camper off for the season so I don't think it had anything to do with extra weight.

if your driving around at night, a good investment would be some HID's. I know theyre mostly used on litte tuners, but they are a hell of alot brighter better. i just had 6k pure white installed for my low beam and 3k yellow for my high beam, and i have the relay for high beams too! and its made a HUGE difference

I have my eyes on some Lightforce 170 Striker HID's. These will be a huge step up from what I have now.

Last edited:
That didn't take long:). I just ordered a set of Lightforce 170 Striker HID's from here. Best price I could find $387.89 with free shipping. What sold me on these is that they won't rust. Carbon composite construction and stainless steel mounting hardware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior