2005 Chevy C4500 Duramax 4x4 Motorhome Las Vegas area

dslav8r

This is a great family adventure rig. Here's the story: after building and enjoying several motorhomes ranging from bus conversions to a custom 4x4 diesel adventure motorhome, I decided to build the "ultimate" family fun-mobile. I purchased the truck new from a dealer in SLC mid-2006, and delivered it directly to Western Truck Body in Provo, UT. We had worked together to design a body/layout that would incorporate the things we've learned over the years.

Western built the all-aluminum body using 2"x2"x1/8" box tubing on 16" centers, walls and roof, 3" channel floor supports, 1/8" thick floor, sides, and roof skins. Skins are welded, bonded, and riveted! This thing is a tank. They also made the partition walls and cabinet frames from 1/8" aluminum sheets, welded to the main structure, for added strength. The entire body is foam insulated, block foam in the walls and ceiling, spray foam under the floor. The idea was to make this rig bulletproof, rust proof, and kid / sand / mud friendly. The inside of the cabinets, storage areas, and the floor itself are sprayed with Rhino Lining, as is the roof. The interior and cabinet doors are natural finished burch.

Because of past experience, the plan was to keep this vehicle simple and low-tech. I wanted reliability and ease of maintenance over convenience and glitz. All of the components were standard motorhome parts, available at Camping World or just about any RV supply or auto parts store. Light switches are on the lights, fan switches are on the fan, you get the picture... There is no "digital command center". Wiring and plumbing are simple and straightforward, easy to troubleshoot and repair out in the boonies. That said, in 13 years of use, including trips around the western US, and Baja, we have had no problems at all!

-19,750 original miles.
-Stored in climate controlled garage since new.
-Duramax diesel, 300 hp. Allison automatic transmission. Factory 4x4 with Dana 80 front axle, locking hubs, 135 rear axle, disc brakes, stock leaf spring suspension / sway bars; rides and handles well! Drive train is all stock, with the exception of a custom 4" exhaust, and Gear Vendors overdrive unit.
-PowerTech 3kw diesel generator, 60.5 hours since new. Runs quiet.
-Factory A/C in the cab, Duo-Therm 13,500 BTU Roof A/C, both work well.
-Cab has factory cloth seats, rubber floor, seats 3 comfortably. Cab is easily accessible from the rear; my wife and kids go back and forth constantly as we travel.
-Overhead queen-width bed with 3" memory foam mattress. Extra long for tall people. Overhead vent. Access ladder stores under one of the couches.
-Two Flexsteel couches, both lift and fold easily into beds comfortable for adults. Under the passenger side couch is a 70 gal fresh water tank. Under the driver's side couch is storage. Each couch is 6' long and seat 3-4 comfortably.
-Dinette seats four, converts to 5'8" bed. Storage underneath. Kitchen has single sink, two burner stove, GE microwave.
-Large Norcold AC/Gas fridge/freezer.
-Gas hot water heater.
-Rear bath has RV fiberglass tub/shower, sink, mirror, Thetford RV toilet, two closets. There is actually room to move around in the bathroom. Fantastic 3-speed vent fan, Accordion door.
-45 gal grey water tank, 30 gal black water, standard Valterra drain valves.
-Catalytic heater (gas) no listening to the furnace turning on and off all night and draining the batteries. This is silent.
-Peninsula Glass DUAL PANE sliding windows, tinted, with screens. Bathroom window is a hinged emergency exit.
-Ample storage; lots of cupboard and closet space.
-Two large outside luggage spaces with 1/4' thick aluminum doors, stainless heavy duty latches.
-24 gal propane tank.
-Heavy duty rear bumper fabricated from 4x10 steel box tubing, 2" receiver hitch., two additional receivers for cycle rack.
-Custom 2-motorcycle carrier.
-Roof rack and rear access ladder are fabricated from aluminum box tube and welded in place. The roof is Rhino-lined, strong enough for the whole family.
-85 gal fuel (factory main tank and two aux tanks, all fill from factory tank, monitored with factory fuel gauge).
-3 standard deep cycle batteries for motorhome, two batteries for truck. Recently replaced.
-$92,000.00 Everything works; drive it anywhere!

This is NOT an underpowered slow-moving beast. It cruises nicely at highway speeds, comfortable at 68-70 mph, 10 MPG +/-, depending on wind and terrain.

slomark

Wow! Awesome. Also outta my price range but I really wish I could. Always hated the giant stickers manufacturers put all over the sides of their campers,...... love the plain white.

jgrow

How long is the rig? Any more interior photos available? I can text if easier. Thanks
JG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles