2005 AC Tundra

AYMT

Have 2005 AC tundra with 141k on it. It needs around $9500 worth of work done on steering and suspension. Trying to figure out if I should sell the engine/transmission or go all in on a build. Any advice helps. Thanks!

AYMT

Bozeman MT. It’s not just the front end. Total suspension. Brake system as well. I’m very new to this and trying to figure if it’s worth it. Would love to build and it seems to be a great platform. Just trying to figure out it makes sense.

mainesurfyota

Go with Bilstein 5100 suspension ~$800 installed. rear leafs ~$500 installed. Full brake system ~$2,000 (if that) installed. A fraction of the cost if you do the work yourself. Best bet is to have a small reputable shop do it. Do some research and act like you know what you are talking about when you go in and you won't get hosed. Don't go to the dealer.

AYMT

This is the list of things that need done. It was a work truck that got beat down a little bit, but the mileage is pretty low.

Attachments

• 58F3DF70-ECD1-45F0-8094-9F1AC1647C23.jpeg
    58F3DF70-ECD1-45F0-8094-9F1AC1647C23.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 12B2A68B-BAA2-47EF-B7FE-16E5BA404ABA.jpeg
    12B2A68B-BAA2-47EF-B7FE-16E5BA404ABA.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 54

Kpack

Adventurer
Alright, so a couple of questions. First, do you have a place to work on the truck at home? Second, are you okay getting your hands dirty?

I ask because almost everything on there can be done yourself. I say that because I did all that and much more to my truck and I had literally zero knowledge or experience. The only thing I had done before this was change oil myself. These trucks are not too complicated to work on, and there are resources out there to help (YouTube being the best).

The biggest question that needs to be answered is what is the rust situation? Is everything under the truck corroded? Because if it is, then doing some of that work listed above (suspension, steering bushings, etc) will be a full-scale nightmare. Be prepared to cut off lots of bolts. Or be prepared to have the shop charge you to cut off lots of bolts. If the corrosion isn't too bad, and you have a place to work on the truck, and some friends with tools and willingness to help, I say do almost all of the required work yourself. It's fun, and you'll learn a ton.

-Kevin

AYMT

Luckily I do have enough room to work on the truck. I’ve worked on small construction equipment before, but not really vehicles. I think I convinced a buddy of mine that is more mechanically inclined to lend a hand. Between him and YouTube should be able to get cost down by quite a bit. Thanks for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles