2005 4Runner sport edition

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I'm looking at a 2005 with a 6 cyl engine for my wife. Might be a too good to be true but it has 135k kilometres and they are asking $8k. One owner. Being a Land Rover guy, what should I look for? This will be for my wife. Was looking at Rav4's for her but this one looks pretty good. Thanks for any and all advice.

Stifler

Observer
Since you are a LandRover guy you will be good to go no matter what if it is running you are already in better shape! LOL

Timing belt

:sombrero:

silver60th

Since you are a LandRover guy you will be good to go no matter what if it is running you are already in better shape! LOL

Timing belt

:sombrero:

Colin, the 2005 4Runner V6 should be equipped with a 4.0L 1GR-FE, meaning it has a timing chain and not a belt. You should be good there. As far as other things to look at, it's not common but I've seen a few 4Runners with electrical gremlins, mostly on the higher trim packages. Make sure everything with a button/switch functions as it should.

Other than that, do a typical one-over of all common used car areas. Check gaskets for leakage, make sure everything that can hold fluid has fluid in it, check for rust underneath...you probably know the drill. Nothing major will sneak up on you with these 4Runners if you are buying a clean, unmolested used model. Service records are also helpful.

Disregard any spelling errors...fat fingers and phone keyboards don't mix.

silver60th

I understood the 6 had a timing chain, the 8 had a timing belt. Am I wrong? Thx.
Nope, you're correct. Timing chain. The 1GR-FE is a very reliable, low-maintenance engine. Also one of the easiest I've ever seen to do an oil change on. Filter is right on top of the motor.

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
Check that the radiator or expansion tank is not low on coolant, and that there aren't gurgling water sounds when you first start it (due to air in the heater hoses). I'm about to do the head gaskets on my 04 v6 because it will slowly lose coolant by overflowing the expansion tank even though it hasn't thrown the typical codes. It has been a subtle but ongoing issue for me over the last two years.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
Thanks, the one I looked at/saw advertised was a scam, "I've moved to Europe, truck is in storage, blah, blah, blah". I think we'll try and get the car through the winter, do some more research and look in earnest come spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles