2005 118" Sprinter Conversion for Alexander

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
IMG_20131028_200758.jpg

southpier

Expedition Leader
i've studied this carefully and can only think: "Colonel Mustard, in the library, with a candlestick."

here goes:

van dweller comes home after a rough day of vannin and has a cool brew. or two.

then, he gets the muchies and decides to cook up a batch of garlic edamame beans. he cranks up the burner and turns to have a toke on his brew.

unbeknownst to van dude (or dudette) the flickering flames have ignited the roll of paper towls precariously hung directly above.

as the flames grow - and here's the brillant part - they burn through the labyrinth o' water pipes, immediately extinuishing the blaze.

unfortunately, van dude's insurance company failed to see the humor in his recollection of the night's events.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Oh, dear . . . I guess I can't use the XV-JP any more. There are paper towels stored not more than two feet from this cooktop,

P1010846.jpg

and, what's worse, the flames from the burner will obviously set the wood veneer behind it on fire. And I don't even have an appropriately labyrinthian water system to melt through to prevent the whole vehicle from going up in flames.

Until Southpier's last post, I'd thought I was OK because the flickering flames from that burner are about 3/4 inch high at maximum and pretty well contained in the burner area. Misguided as I was, I'm counting my blessings that he's warned me. It's sad, though, since I really love that truck. Guess I better play it safe, though, and scrap it.

I know, don't feed the trolls, but geesh . . .

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I'll have it, in Oz the flames go the other way (due to the Coriolis effect) and the paper towels hang upwards so it will be safe.

Last edited:

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
I had a garage fire a long time ago, and the thing that saved the house was the heat unsoldered the water pipe directly over the flames...The water quenched it enough to prevent a total loss...Life goes on...

Barrows

Adventurer
I just read this whole thread, amazing work by the op and a lot of really crafty ideas. I worked in marine carpentry for a few years and I really enjoy seeing those ideas used in a van build.

PaulJensen

Custom Builder
Update: A new book by Lloyd Kahn, Tiny Homes On The Move, has a two page feature on the van... Check out pages 10 & 11...

gnach

I'm late to the game, but Thank You for this opportunity to watch a well conceived and executed build.
Let me throw this to anyone still reading:
What is your guess to the lowest temperature this insulation would be camp-able in? I'll probably want to add more to the ceiling. and floor, maybe.
When does condesation get to be an issue and how to deal with vapor barrier?

InvisibleOne

OverANYlander
Amazing creativity, design, execution, and craftsmanship. Read the thread start to finish and always appreciate the sharing of solutions and techniques. Beyond impressed. Well done Paul.

eagle2232

Thank you Paul for the most excellent build write-up. Your mastery craftsmanship and ideas are superb, and simple. I MUCH appreciate the extra time and effort you took to share and document here your techniques, ideas, and logic. Fabulous!!! This info is helpful in my 2006 2500 140 build---just getting into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier