Overlandtowater

b96dcfb201bd925769cbf3cdbe18cca5.plist
7570c28baa3de6ed84e012a94ad2749d.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BEEF

toyotech

Expedition Leader
"Attn: Low Bumper" :ROFLMAO:

Also, dammit.. I wish my roof rack had the "Tundra" lettering.

Surprised how good the quality of the photo is. Taken from an old iPhone 7 Plus.

I had a vote on tundra lettering and 9/10 said no to the lettering so only my prototype has it

trailscape

Explorer
Huh.. I don't remember a vote. Offer it as an add-on. I'll stick it on the side with a couple spacers!

Actually, some kind of add-on bracket that can mount to the side of the rack and match the profile would be pretty useful for accessories that you don't want to interfering with the bars.

Surprised how good the quality of the photo is. Taken from an old iPhone 7 Plus.

I had a vote on tundra lettering and 9/10 said no to the lettering so only my prototype has it

ADVNOMAD

Impressed with your build. Few question I have:
Part number of the rigid boxes on the roof rack
How are the boxes attached to the rack
What type of gear do you carry in the rigid boxes

great write up!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Impressed with your build. Few question I have:
Part number of the rigid boxes on the roof rack
How are the boxes attached to the rack
What type of gear do you carry in the rigid boxes

great write up!

Model #: 222571

I drilled 4 holes on the inside and bolted them to the roof rack crossbars.

Mainly carry recovery gear and tools. Stuff I hardly use but easy to access. Most usually keep this stuff underneath all their camping gear. So on the roof. It keeps me from having to dig for it.

coastiehawk

So most already know that the Fox 2.5 coilovers lower spring retainer will hit your brake lines under certain conditions. Extremely unsafe condition as one has already reported it cut his hardline and lost his brakes. The quick fix was to switch to a banjo style brake line and banjo bolt. I did this swap to prevent loosing my brakes but they still hit even with a lower profile. Over time it seems to be gouging into it more to the point that it knock the banjo bolt loose. Resulting in loosing my brakes. Lucky I just had to tighten it back up and top fluid off.
Been meaning to email fox and I finally did. I told them I have enough adjustment to back the spring off a few inches if they could provide something that would bring the retainer up an inch or so. Originally I was hoping they would send a new lower shock mount as this is treaded in the shaft. Only issue is you would get more droop than what is safely allowed imo. Similar effects of a spacer lift. To my surprise Fox email me back saying to use 05-On Tacomas. PN 234-00-383 spring retainer which is taller and tapered. So I emailed back and said is this something you guys going to provide to fix a very big safety issue with their coilover design. Next email just asked for my address and a fews later they showed up. I also asked if they are going to redesign their coilovers on these to not have this issue. They just said they will look into it.

So my suggestion is to be nice and email fox with supporting photos. Keep bring up this is a safety issue and if you have family. Let them know.

Anyone else looking to buy fox 2.5. I would highly recommend they get built with the Tacoma spring retainers instead.

I haven’t tested them yet but visually it looks good. Time will tell. I also have 700lbs springs

1dc854e8704f39416699509133e23ee5.jpg
e1f025c7d3f80402611834d1c32ad4b4.jpg
527b1e98a33e8681a879cdee6edb0c6b.jpg

4e72fd1dedf10f7e25cd9f831b30320f.jpg
c88c404e47070abd11e27b1927840251.jpg
6972d466a3db3418e66ee3f6e445da68.jpg
711ac3709363e51a9c781c4d3ae86335.jpg
8c106e21087ca61475002c7855dcc750.jpg
f9ed526b28016e8c5244d72a10fa76a8.jpg
77327c0d134a8876cbf1dd126988ce8e.jpg
7872a24b92c630cd9da91ea26189182b.jpg
8c30c1750a962ddb5bf415639d37b71d.png

b753eb4898671c68597404a6c9739452.jpg
06b9e1b0820fe67fca344efc839c5cd8.jpg
6020ab0f3118a235cfbaa6152bdbbf56.jpg
a78ccc1221c2b9a7be23332dbfea7aaf.jpg
e0348fb7c989cb4a060b6c0dabbf6aee.jpg
c787a4a268f104e4eef5bea69aba6168.jpg
4be30e47ce9b9bae39245edb74cb94d6.jpg
0175c7dd79f78aabf9f4ae61a69eb31e.jpg

Hey man, was wondering if you had any updates on how this worked out? About to pull the trigger on some 700# springs and finally install the Fox 2.5's I picked up a few months back, but curious if I should reach out to Fox first and try to get the Tacoma spring retainers. Thanks man!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Hey man, was wondering if you had any updates on how this worked out? About to pull the trigger on some 700# springs and finally install the Fox 2.5's I picked up a few months back, but curious if I should reach out to Fox first and try to get the Tacoma spring retainers. Thanks man!

It’s been great so far. I haven’t seen it hit yet.

Hoping to start taking orders on roof rack kits soon.

It’s been great so far. I haven’t seen it hit yet.

Hoping to start taking orders on roof rack kits soon.

I might be interested in one of your roof racks too. Can you make them with a different front piece to accommodate a light bar? Or would you just leave it off completely for that application. I like the Tundra lettering too.

I also wanted to get your feedback on doing the manual hub conversion. I swapped a 5 speed manual transmission and j shifter into my truck a while ago and I think I might have broken a front cv axle last weekend, so might be a good time to upgrade.

If I found a 1st gen tundra with manual hubs, could I just swap the entire spindle, hub assembly, and cv axle over to my truck without pressing everything out and and back into my spindles?

You seem to really know your way around these trucks so I thought I’d ask you.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I might be interested in one of your roof racks too. Can you make them with a different front piece to accommodate a light bar? Or would you just leave it off completely for that application. I like the Tundra lettering too.

I also wanted to get your feedback on doing the manual hub conversion. I swapped a 5 speed manual transmission and j shifter into my truck a while ago and I think I might have broken a front cv axle last weekend, so might be a good time to upgrade.

If I found a 1st gen tundra with manual hubs, could I just swap the entire spindle, hub assembly, and cv axle over to my truck without pressing everything out and and back into my spindles?

You seem to really know your way around these trucks so I thought I’d ask you.

The tundra lettering isn’t available. The windscreen is all done to work with a lightbar or not. The manual hubs would have to come from a Tacoma. The spindles won’t swap over because the 04 and up Tundra’s uses a larger lower ball joint assembly. The cv axle isn’t long enough either so you’ll have to hybrid the Tacoma and tundra axle together.

The tundra lettering isn’t available. The windscreen is all done to work with a lightbar or not. The manual hubs would have to come from a Tacoma. The spindles won’t swap over because the 04 and up Tundra’s uses a larger lower ball joint assembly. The cv axle isn’t long enough either so you’ll have to hybrid the Tacoma and tundra axle together.

Got it. So a custom cv axle is a must. My tundra is a 2001, so does that mean that the Tacoma spindles are a direct swap for my year?

After thinking more about what happened I think I either granaded my front diff or busted the ring and pinion. If that’s the case then I would really like to upgrade to an arb locker and a better ring gear setup. Either way I would like to do the manual hub conversion.

Do you have any advice on making the front diff section stronger? I have never broken anything like this before so I might be over thinking it.

smokeysevin

Observer
Got it. So a custom cv axle is a must. My tundra is a 2001, so does that mean that the Tacoma spindles are a direct swap for my year?

After thinking more about what happened I think I either granaded my front diff or busted the ring and pinion. If that’s the case then I would really like to upgrade to an arb locker and a better ring gear setup. Either way I would like to do the manual hub conversion.

Do you have any advice on making the front diff section stronger? I have never broken anything like this before so I might be over thinking it.

I am running Taco spindles on my truck (also an 01) You need the tundra inner axle and tacoma outer. It is a pain to do the conversion. There is more in my thread if you want to see the process.

@toyotech what size wheel spacers are you using? I tried to fit a pair of spidertrax 1.25 and a pair of 1.25 g2 spacers and both hit the manual hub nuts that hold the aisin hub onto the actual wheel hub.

Sean

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I am running Taco spindles on my truck (also an 01) You need the tundra inner axle and tacoma outer. It is a pain to do the conversion. There is more in my thread if you want to see the process.

@toyotech what size wheel spacers are you using? I tried to fit a pair of spidertrax 1.25 and a pair of 1.25 g2 spacers and both hit the manual hub nuts that hold the aisin hub onto the actual wheel hub.

Sean

I was expecting the same thing to happen since I couldn’t run hub centric on my 1st gen runner

I think you need the 13WL brake setup. Maybe the rotor is thicker pushing everything further out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles