2004 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD Offroad Pop top camper SOLD!

privateidaho

Sold

side bike.jpgtundra side.jpg
Truck:
Crewcab Arizona/Idaho truck has no rust. Original sticker from Camelback Toyota in Phoenix.
Clean Carfax. I'm the third owner.
No oil leaks. No leaks of any kind.
189,232. Regular synthetic oil changes.
Timing belt and water pump at 130k, so 40k before next belt needed.
Limited slip rear differential. Four wheel high and low operate without hesitation.
All fluids replaced at that time including transmission and differentials.
The engine and transmission are smooth. Starts in the coldest weather without hesitation (has block heater) and the coolant needle never moves out of normal range. The shifting is smooth and precise.
OME springs and adjustable Bilsteins.

Mechanically ready for any trip, anywhere. No weird sounds, squeaks, rattles. Absolutely reliable. I would drive this truck to Patagonia tomorrow.

Recent BFG AT KO2. Snowflake rated. A very good tire that I’ll put on all my vehicles from now on. It's the first all-terrain tire that really performs well in snow, sand and well enough in mud.
BFG AT.jpg
Interior is in nice shape. Non smoker, no pets, no major stains, rips or tears. Four real doors and four (or five) seats for adults. I've tried to sit in a Tacoma rear seat. Couldn't do it. The best cupholders I've ever seen.:D
tundra inside front.jpgtundra inside rear.jpg

In all, the truck is stock. I’ve avoided big lifts, big tires and unnecessary weight. Weight is detrimental to going up, going down and avoiding getting stuck. Weight in the backcountry is the enemy of a happy vehicle. The Tundra is a half-ton truck and as such I’ve found it to be competent hauling the camper, four people, food, water and gear. Loaded this way, it is within it GVRW. The suspension and ride height have been more than adequate for the backroading we’ve experienced. The roads we’ve used this on are paved, blm and forest service roads. I have a locked Landcruiser that is used for harder technical trails.

Camper:

I built the camper three years ago. The camper is light enough to be virtually unnoticeable off road and weighs about 400lbs. No wood to rot and absorb moisture. The construction of the top and side panels is xeps wrapped in fiberglass. All sealant is Sikaflex, not "caulk". The result is stiff, light, strong and stable. I was tired of looking at campers with delamination and chipboard turning to sawdust. Lifting struts make opening easy; front and rear panels lock the top up in place. The camper has been used in downpours and is weatherproof. The exoskeleton is aluminum extrusions from System One: stiff, light and strong. All hardware is stainless steel. The result is light, strong and waterproof. With the top down, summer temperatures are low enough inside that a dog can be comfortable with the side windows cracked open.

The camper is designed to provide a weatherproof shell that would allow the truck to be used as a daily driver. It has succeeded expectations. With the bunks stowed upright it can still be used like a truck. This combination would be perfect for climbers or bikers that live where parking is limited and the rig needs to be used as a daily driver as I have done for five years. Having a real door in the rear that can be locked (and deadbolted) provides security for expensive gear. As all recovery gear is stored inside, there is less need to worry about theft and weathering. Deep tinted side windows and privacy glass in the door discourage snooping and provide a retreat when camping.
back door bike.jpg

The profile follows the cab for aerodynamics and ease of use on narrow, brushy roads. The front of the poptop is protected from impact by an lexan barrier. With the top down, two bunks provide a quick and stealthy sleeping arrangement. With the top popped it can sleep four, or two can sleep up and the lower bunk can serve as a table. As the top pops straight up there is full headroom to the front of the top bed. Other than a battery box, the bed of the truck is open. The bunks can be folded up and out of the way. Standing headroom is over seven feet, and headroom above the bunk is over three feet. Gas lift struts help open the top, front and rear panels secure it open.
camper upper bed.jpg

Two screened bottom-opening windows allow ventilation even when raining. Dimmable LED lights brighten the inside of the poptop, and two more led RV lights shine in the front and rear of the camper. Two rear mounted cube lights outside allow late night camp setup. An Optima battery inside a box power lights, charges phones and other electronics. As the truck was a spare vehicle for me, I plugged the battery into a house charger. I avoided charging from the starting battery as I didn’t want any loss of reliability.
side window open.jpg

The truck and camper are built to perform as a unit. The camper is bolted to the top bed rail with foam as a waterproof barrier. The rear door replaces the tailgate and provides a lockable, weatherproof unit. The door is wide enough to allow two mountain bikes to be put inside. Two aluminum trays are mounted on the outside for bike transport free of dust from the rear of the truck and allowing access without a bike rack getting in the way.

Quickfist clamps under the bunks allow for storage of Maxtrax and other recovery gear. The bike is available for $4000. :p
inside stove and bunk.jpg
I have weathered massive Idaho thunderstorms and been dry and comfortable. This rig will provide someone an easy to use, trouble-free truck and camper. What more could you ask for?

Attachments

• Rear door.jpg
    Rear door.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4,561
Last edited:

privateidaho

Thanks for the props folks! BajaSurfRig indeed, that was my inspiration. I did some sand and dune exploration at St Anthony Dunes near Idaho Falls. The truck performed really well in 4h, not 4l to my surprise. V8 power works much better than the 6 banger in my Landcruiser.

jmodz

This is an automatic, you can see the column shifter in the photo of the front seats. In case you are curious the manual in the tundra was only offered with the V6 engine as far as I know.

Dr. No

Thanks! I had just added older Tundras to my list and wasn't caught up on all the specifics yet. Otherwise, this would be perfect for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94