2004 TJ Rubicon - Supercharge, Turbo or Sell/Trade?

Rubicon

Observer
Well…..

I am the proud owner of a 2004 TJ Rubicon (bought new in Sept 2004 w/approx 110,000 miles) - first built by AEV… I've got lots of "goodies" bolted on (approx 4.5" lift, 33" BFG Mud Terrains, ARB bull-bar w/Warn winch, sliders, skid plates, Garvin Wilderness rear bumper, Banks headers, cold-air intake & cat-back exhaust, etc…. drivetrain completely stock and original). I don't have a roof rack, so everything is "below roof level". All routine maintenance is up to date….

I'm honestly torn right now between keeping my Rubicon, but adding on either a Supercharger or Turbo (from Banks). I'm needing a bit more "oomph" at altitude when I'm driving through the Sierra Nevada mountains (where I do most of my camping/wheeling) - when I'm fully loaded up with gear for a trip, my Rubi struggles up hills and keeping up at highway speeds.

Honestly, the TJ is getting a bit cramped for me, wifey and the dog - so wondering what others think about dropping more $$$ into my baby, or biting the bullet, selling her and buying new. Thinking either a new 4-door JK or (don't hate me) a new 4Runner…..

Let the pummeling begin!

Thoughts, ideas?

What gearing do you have? You will get more bang for the buck out of putting lower gears into the axles. Turbo / supercharging is very expensive and you would potentially lose long term durability / reliability of the 4.0.

Buying a newer 4 door JK isnt going to improve your power to weight ratio at all either. If cost is no object, I guess you could buy a 4 door JK and swap in a Chevy LS or a Hemi V8.

Lecoq

Explorer
I was at the same crossroad a few months ago. The appeal of a newer "better" vehicle is nice but I just couldn't justify having monthly payments or losing all the time and money I've put into my Jeep. I decided to keep doing my thing and dig deeper into the never ending modification hole. Sometimes I regret it but every time I look at my jeep I see something unique that makes me smile. Buying a new JK would be fun but the amount of money for the jeep plus the modifications you would probably end up doing add up real fast.

mtnman90

What gearing do you have? You will get more bang for the buck out of putting lower gears into the axles. Turbo / supercharging is very expensive and you would potentially lose long term durability / reliability of the 4.0.

Completely agree. Regearing seems to be the best choice given the bigger tires and weight you've added.

EMrider

Explorer
I think that there is something special about the 4.0l TJs and LJs. That said, I hear you on the lack of space concern.

Invest in new gears and a trailer and see how that works for you. If it does not work, you at least have a trailer ready for the next vehicle.

R

MTSN

Explorer
I vote sell and buy a 2012+ JKUR. You'll love the space, creature comforts, power, mpg and refinement. Try taking one for a test drive if you can.

Rubicon

Observer
I think that there is something special about the 4.0l TJs and LJs. That said, I hear you on the lack of space concern.

Invest in new gears and a trailer and see how that works for you. If it does not work, you at least have a trailer ready for the next vehicle.

R

Thanks all for the ideas on regearing and a trailer… I am running the stock 4:10 gears. Wifey and I were kicking around engine upgrades and a small trailer, so perhaps thats a better way to go. Still keep the uniqueness (and the ability to go topless), but have room for the stuff in a small trailer… agree on cost as well. Gears and a trailer would be WAY below cost of new vehicle…. and like EMrider said, if it doesn't work out the way I need, at least I still have a trailer for the next vehicle.

mrchips

Adventurer
I have an LJ 6 sod manual transmission and at one point I had 33's and pulling a Chaser with 4.88 gears and it was great, no power problems and would go thru the local freeway passes in 5 th gear.

Rubicon

Observer
I have an LJ 6 sod manual transmission and at one point I had 33's and pulling a Chaser with 4.88 gears and it was great, no power problems and would go thru the local freeway passes in 5 th gear.

Thanks! I'm running the stock 4.10 gears in the Dana 44s w/the OEM 4sp auto tranny...

I'm thinking that 4.88 gearing could put me into a sweet spot w/o having to outlay for a new vehicle! Don't know that I want to go to 5.13's as I'm not planning on going to 35's (too many other changes I'd need to make)....

My Jeep is also my daily driver, so I'm running 80/20 or 90/10 street to off-road. Pulling a small trailer would allow me to keep the daily driver small, maneuverable & unique, but give me extra capacity when needed...

When I wheel it's typically into the Sierra's (with some day trips to Big Bear area) mixed in as well - when I'm in the Sierras it's not uncommon to be at 8-9,000 feet... Also with any type of headwind when fully loaded I'm lucky to keep her at 50mph on the freeways.

How do you like your Chaser? Looking at that, LOVE the Horizon (with the storage boxes), but also looking X-Venture.... Or custom... Another seemingly endless list of options, prices, etc! It never ends (not that is a bad thing)... :)

EMrider

Explorer
Thanks! I'm running the stock 4.10 gears in the Dana 44s w/the OEM 4sp auto tranny...

I'm thinking that 4.88 gearing could put me into a sweet spot w/o having to outlay for a new vehicle! Don't know that I want to go to 5.13's as I'm not planning on going to 35's (too many other changes I'd need to make)....

My Jeep is also my daily driver, so I'm running 80/20 or 90/10 street to off-road. Pulling a small trailer would allow me to keep the daily driver small, maneuverable & unique, but give me extra capacity when needed...

When I wheel it's typically into the Sierra's (with some day trips to Big Bear area) mixed in as well - when I'm in the Sierras it's not uncommon to be at 8-9,000 feet... Also with any type of headwind when fully loaded I'm lucky to keep her at 50mph on the freeways.

How do you like your Chaser? Looking at that, LOVE the Horizon (with the storage boxes), but also looking X-Venture.... Or custom... Another seemingly endless list of options, prices, etc! It never ends (not that is a bad thing)... :)

The eastern sierras are my primary offroad playground. As you mentioned, elevation is typically 7000 or higher with some very steep grades.

I've just made peace with the reality that my vehicles are slow. The SMB and LJ are both slow climbers. They both have other virtues that more than make up for their lack of power.

Just stay in the slow lane, relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

R

DucRyder

I did an electric fan, CAI, 3.8 Mustang fuel injectors, headers, 2.5 high flow converter exhaust and a Banks tuner to my 04 LJ.... Night and day difference. Some of the Banks settings change the shift points to improved RPM with the 42RLE.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
If it's "oomph" you want, you could always do a 5.3 or 5.7 engine swap:D Otherwise, like previously stated, 4.88 gearing is optimum gearing for the 42rle. 4.0s really don't have a ton of wiggle room for power without oversize bores, stroking, or forced induction.

Rubicon

Observer
Thanks all!!! It appears to be coming down to "size matters"… :wings: Just sold our only vehicle with 4-doors & wifey is not giving up her Infiniti G-35 Coupe, so looks like the Jeep may very well be on the market soon…. Need at least one 4-door vehicle, and as much as I LOVE my TJ I can't figure out how to stretch her to 4-doors (with anywhere near a reasonable sum of $$$). :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles