2004 Tacoma vs. 1997 Land Cruiser: Long Term Ownership

bkg

Explorer
It pulls to the right on the road-I think due to worn bushings. I’m worried excessive flex on the suspension might cause them to fail altogether.

It just has a lot of neglected maintenance in general.

doubt that's a huge concern... know many people who wheel 80's with 250-300k miles on them w/ stock arms and bushings

Ozark_Prowler

doubt that's a huge concern... know many people who wheel 80's with 250-300k miles on them w/ stock arms and bushings
Well anyway my main dilemma is whether to put several thousand into baselining the 80, or cut my losses now and put that into the cherry Tacoma. I reckon maybe I should take the Cruiser off road at least once though in case it completely blows me away or something.. my old single cab Tacoma impressed the hell out of me out on the trails so I'd be surprised if the Land Cruiser surpasses it..

It may sound silly but for me the main dealbreaker is the transmission.. I don't like automatics in general, and this one especially always seems to be spooling the torque converter and searching for a gear.. I guess we can blame all the American soccer moms for no manual option in the 80 series..

Idk, the Tacomas feel so zippy and nimble compared to the heavy, lumbering Cruiser, but again, maybe I'd change my tune if I had it off road.

Arktikos

Explorer
It pulls to the right on the road-I think due to worn bushings. I’m worried excessive flex on the suspension might cause them to fail altogether.

It just has a lot of neglected maintenance in general.

More likely something else is causing the pull. Worn bushings are not a reason to avoid flexing the suspension IMO.
3RZ running 33's will be a dog, maybe more so than the FZ with same tire size. So, what was your decision?

Ozark_Prowler

More likely something else is causing the pull. Worn bushings are not a reason to avoid flexing the suspension IMO.
3RZ running 33's will be a dog, maybe more so than the FZ with same tire size. So, what was your decision?
Yes, I think a sticking caliper might be my main issue, although the worn bushings and TREs can't be helping.

He said that truck was regeared for the 33s.

For now I've kept the Cruiser as he the guy backed out of the trade since the J80 wasn't enough of a show car for his tastes. I may end up selling anyway though, since my wallet and I have both lost interest in dealing with the LC's many problems.

I actually found another Tacoma locally: this one a 99 TRD model, but it had spent 6 years in Ohio and had some sort of rubberized coating from the Toyota dealer. I felt inside the frame rails and there was some chipping starting towards the back, by the rear wheelwells. At least that guy would go cheaper.

Neither of these Tacomas are for sale, so I could always try to offer cash on them later and see if they bite.

billiebob

Am I missing something here?
Not at all, you nailed the differences. You just need to pick which one you like more. Which one will get you where you want to go. Both are solid choices, I'd pick the F250.

You've had both so your experience is all that counts.

Let me help you have a harder decision. Saw this on CL and thought about this thread...

1983 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4WD

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
Yes, I think a sticking caliper might be my main issue, although the worn bushings and TREs can't be helping.

He said that truck was regeared for the 33s.

For now I've kept the Cruiser as he the guy backed out of the trade since the J80 wasn't enough of a show car for his tastes. I may end up selling anyway though, since my wallet and I have both lost interest in dealing with the LC's many problems.

I actually found another Tacoma locally: this one a 99 TRD model, but it had spent 6 years in Ohio and had some sort of rubberized coating from the Toyota dealer. I felt inside the frame rails and there was some chipping starting towards the back, by the rear wheelwells. At least that guy would go cheaper.

Neither of these Tacomas are for sale, so I could always try to offer cash on them later and see if they bite.

skip it.

only buy a Tacoma from the south. BTDT

phsycle

Adventurer
I’ve had a 100-series and several Taco’s.
For your purposes, get the Taco.
LC is a good vehicle but figure 2 to 3x the cost for maintenance and mods. They may be cheap(er) now but they were $50-60k vehicles back in the day (ie 3x the cost of the Tacoma), and parts cost reflects that.
And they are heavy. I didn’t particularly enjoy the LC on the trail. Not as much as my old Taco’s and 4Runners.

Sell the LC and get something that fits your needs and budget.

Also, I much prefer the 5VZ. One of the best Toyota has produced to date.

Ozark_Prowler

skip it.

only buy a Tacoma from the south. BTDT
Yeah down here they tend to either be suburban creampuffs or totally trashed backwoods beaters.

The former command a premium, but I see why after dealing with the infamous frame rot issue in my old Maryland Tacoma.

Apparently the frame was coated while still in good condition, being from Texas. I've heard mixed reviews for the rubberized coatings though.

Ozark_Prowler

I’ve had a 100-series and several Taco’s.
For your purposes, get the Taco.
LC is a good vehicle but figure 2 to 3x the cost for maintenance and mods. They may be cheap(er) now but they were $50-60k vehicles back in the day (ie 3x the cost of the Tacoma), and parts cost reflects that.
And they are heavy. I didn’t particularly enjoy the LC on the trail. Not as much as my old Taco’s and 4Runners.

Sell the LC and get something that fits your needs and budget.

Also, I much prefer the 5VZ. One of the best Toyota has produced to date.
Yeah it seems like they're mainly suited to serious rock crawling or remote expeditions. In other applications on and off road, the solid axles and big, heavy structure seem to become a detriment.

Arktikos

Explorer
Yeah it seems like they're mainly suited to serious rock crawling or remote expeditions. In other applications on and off road, the solid axles and big, heavy structure seem to become a detriment.

That's not what I've heard. The 80 would be stronger in most off road situations, not just rock crawling. More durable too. That doesn't necessarily mean it'd be more fun to drive tough.

For an occasional off roader plus daily driver seeing more than 3-5K miles a year of service, I'd say it it's a no brainer-sell the tank and go with the Taco. Or, maybe even an older Toyota mini.

Ozark_Prowler

That's not what I've heard. The 80 would be stronger in most off road situations, not just rock crawling. More durable too. That doesn't necessarily mean it'd be more fun to drive tough.

For an occasional off roader plus daily driver seeing more than 3-5K miles a year of service, I'd say it it's a no brainer-sell the tank and go with the Taco. Or, maybe even an older Toyota mini.
Yea it's more durable for sure, but you could argue there'a also also more to go wrong than in a minitruck. And also that for 99% of situations the Cruiser is bigger and heavier than it really needs to be.

Most agree the Cruisers are better for remote expeditions and/or heavy rock crawling as I said, but then you need a costly baselining/build to take advantage of that reliability and prowess. And even then a solid axle minitruck makes a better crawler. Also in the US we only got the least desirable spec: petrol/automatic, with a limited range and diminished driving experience compared to the diesel/5 speed enjoyed in other markets.

IME the J80 can't touch a minitruck for the DD/weekend warrior role. The only reason I'd consider keeping it is for the "cool factor" of owning the last solid axle Toyota sold in NA. If I do end up keeping it it'll likely get sliders and a rear auto locker and be used as a trail beater.

tacollie

Glamper
If you are sticking to 33s or smaller and keeping it light I prefer a 1st gen taco or 3rd gen 4Runner. If you want to add 2000lbs in great/equipment along with larger tires than the 80 is a better choice. For a trail beater I'd look for something lighter and with cheaper parts than an 80.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94