2004 Tacoma vs. 1997 Land Cruiser: Long Term Ownership

Toyaddict

My adventure vehicle, no matter how well-loved, isn't a long term I'll be buried in the vehicle. Backcountry is my primary recreation, put on more miles on my 4x4 than my daily driver car or other toys. I drive on beaches and close the salt air constantly, long distances on Canada's salted roads, and don't hesitate to drive down an overgrown road that will cause that nails on chalkboard sound of branches removing paint.

Had an HJ47 and a HJ61, pinned for an 80 for years. Stuff breaks, gets knock off, and I want the rig to be maintained perfectly as we always find ourselves remote far from cell service. Maybe 1 day I'll justify a new old Landcruiser, but being experienced with the cost to play I'll stick to 4 cyl Tacoma's/4Runner.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pMa2Q5E5LbauEKjx7

Note scrapping sound in vid clip. Had a 3rd Gen Tacoma for 2 years, but it was a babied work vehicle, had less backroad pin stripping than my current Toyota after it's 1st outing.

Longest I've owned something is 11 years but I'm only 30, however I was pretty sick of it by year 5 or 6. Long term to me is probably ~10 years. Not really keen on keeping something longer than that mainly for reasons you highlighted.

nickw

Adventurer
Your intended use matters a lot.

If you want a light duty daily, get the Taco. If you're looking for a heavy duty remote tourer, stick with the 80.

I had a gen one Tacoma. One month in baja running just below payload capacity ruined the springs. It was very disappointing. In contrast, our 30 year old 80 has completed dozens of heavily loaded dirt tours in Mexico since it was new, and has never flinched.

Edit: Having owned both, I can say the 80 is in an entirely different league in terms of build quality, durability, and longevity.
There is a happy medium in there....a daily that you can easily do some expo work with, not everybody needs a HD expo rig. Running at payload in any rig offroad is going to compromise it...LC included. A LC could probably do it longer than most.....but if expo means light camping, MTB's, no slide drawers, no huge cache of spare fuel, 32" tires, etc....that is well within a Tacomas swim lane...

Ozark_Prowler

Yeah I'm definitely looking for more of a light-duty daily I can still have fun with on the weekends.

I can appreciate the durability of the 80 series but it's a bit agricultural.

Ozark_Prowler

ok... I'll ask.

How much for the 80? :D
Well I’d need at least 10k out of it if I were going to sell now.

I figure I might wait until the spring and fix it up a bit over the winter; she’s a solid runner but a little rough around the edges.

bkg

Explorer
Well I’d need at least 10k out of it if I were going to sell now.

I figure I might wait until the spring and fix it up a bit over the winter; she’s a solid runner but a little rough around the edges.

Do you think that particular Tacoma is something you'd write a $10k check for?

Ozark_Prowler

Do you think that particular Tacoma is something you'd write a $10k check for?
Well the guy wants 11.5k for it. Ideally I’d get that for the Cruiser, but like I said it needs a little TLC. It is a southern truck at least though so rust isn’t a big concern

bkg

Explorer
Well the guy wants 11.5k for it. Ideally I’d get that for the Cruiser, but like I said it needs a little TLC. It is a southern truck at least though so rust isn’t a big concern

Wow... Seems a bit high for a 3rz/non-TRD, but hard to tell these days.

Ozark_Prowler

Wow... Seems a bit high for a 3rz/non-TRD, but hard to tell these days.
Yeah but it is lifted and regeared, and just excellent condition inside and out. The first gens have been dropping like flies, especially in the northern states, due in part to the crappy steel they used in the frames.

The locker would be a plus, but I kinda prefer the 3rz anyway. The V6 is slow anyway, so you might as well use some less fuel.

My main concern is that the long wheelbase of the Xtracab would hold it back off road.

brycercampbell

Yeah but it is lifted and regeared, and just excellent condition inside and out. The first gens have been dropping like flies, especially in the northern states, due in part to the crappy steel they used in the frames.

The locker would be a plus, but I kinda prefer the 3rz anyway. The V6 is slow anyway, so you might as well use some less fuel.

My main concern is that the long wheelbase of the Xtracab would hold it back off road.
Honestly sounds like you've already decided and just need someone to tell you it's not a bad choice. In which case, it's a wash and just go with whichever one makes you happy to see in the driveway. Sounds like the Taco

Ozark_Prowler

Honestly sounds like you've already decided and just need someone to tell you it's not a bad choice. In which case, it's a wash and just go with whichever one makes you happy to see in the driveway. Sounds like the Taco
I'm still on the fence since I think it's kind of a shame I never got to test the LC off road (don't feel comfortable with the worn bushings). Also, I was thinking earlier that they'd shoot way up in value like the 60 series so this was my last chance to own one with the solid axle, but now it looks like prices are coming down and the 80 series frenzy is subsiding somewhat; maybe people are realizing how slow an inefficient they are?

Anyway, the LC has a lot of charm, but I'm not sure I could see myself keeping it long-term. It's kind of a bore to drive with the slushbox, but maybe if I got it off-road I'd change my mind.

Ozark_Prowler

Tacoma is a more useful vehicle, all around. 250k is nothing on one, my dad's 3.4 4Runner has 480k and counting. Still shines like new. Personally, if it were a "keeper" vehicle I would wait and buy a clean lower mileage TRD model (120k or less). They are out there but get pricey.

No need to worry about "frame beef" unless you are rock crawling, in which case; buy a Jeep.

Also for 99.999% of intended vehicle uses IFS > SFA. Solid front axles are super overrated.

MPG? Taco hands down. Now as a third vehicle? I would consider the 80, but I like my 120 far better; way more power, better MPG, better ride w/IFS, etc. Frankly I'm not sure why anyone buys an 80 series or older LC for a main vehicle. Are they cool? Yes. Are they a great all around vehicle? Hell no. They're awful.
I mostly agree with you, but the rack and pinion is a weak point for the Tacos. And the solid axles with coil springs will give better flex than the leaf springs and are more durable and serviceable in the field: it's not all about raw off road ability.

bkg

Explorer

3rz will get about the same mileage. I've owned about a dozen 5vze's (3 currently) - you're the first person I've heard describe them as slow. lol

And lift/gears - give about 25% of what they'd cost to install.

I agree, though... sounds like you've made up your mind.

bkg

Explorer
I'm still on the fence since I think it's kind of a shame I never got to test the LC off road (don't feel comfortable with the worn bushings). Also, I was thinking earlier that they'd shoot way up in value like the 60 series so this was my last chance to own one with the solid axle, but now it looks like prices are coming down and the 80 series frenzy is subsiding somewhat; maybe people are realizing how slow an inefficient they are?

Anyway, the LC has a lot of charm, but I'm not sure I could see myself keeping it long-term. It's kind of a bore to drive with the slushbox, but maybe if I got it off-road I'd change my mind.

???????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior