2004 suburban build

jonb8

Adventurer
Well I got the Suburban in the garage and I want to say I had a good day.... But it wasn't.... Everything under this thing is seized up with rust.... The key took me 2 hrs to beat out and I had to cut the upper control arm off, no way those bolts were budging.... The lowers have been replaced in the past and the bolts came out of those easy.... I do have one side done and moving on to the other side tomorrow...

jonb8

Adventurer
Finally got my z71 springs and the new caster bolts for the upper control arms.... I'm hoping to have it back on it's feet by the end of the weekend....

rayra

Expedition Leader
Even with the rust you're making quick work of it. Everything seems to take me twice as long as I think it will, anymore. And I got lucky with mine, Hecho en Mehico and never left SoCal. Just a scant bit of rust on it. I just did the very same work about three weeks ago and I'll shut up now about how relatively easy it was.

crossmembershims23.jpg

I've gotta do my lower arms still, but I went ahead and put my new homebrew torsion bar adjuster crossmember mount bushings in earlier this week.

jonb8

Adventurer
Well the drivers side wasn't any better, I beat on the key till I couldn't swing anymore and broke out the grinder and split it.... UHHHGGGGG nothing so far is coming easy on this thing.... At least I'm touching every bolt and it's getting anti-seize when it goes back together...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
When I separated the keys on the 2500 front end I am working on, It took about 20 minutes each with a 8lb sledge. Surprisingly looking worse than yours, most of the suspension bolts freed up with a little impact and some penetrating oil. I did have to cut the lower ball joint out though... Maybe the earlier models used a different plating process?

I have found that using loctite blue on the threads liberally, will prevent corrosion. It seals the threads, and can be broken free with a bit of heat if needed.

spacer

Observer
Living in the South has its disadvantages, but I do love that my Burb isn't a rusted mess underneath.

Originally from NM, so rust is even less an issue back home. :)

jonb8

Adventurer
Well it's back on all 4's, I didn't get the rear springs in. I'll do that tomorrow, I'm sitting 1 in taller in the front so I hope the z71 springs don't lift me much more then that. I really don't want to crank the front up any more..

Overlandtowater

Looking good! I got the front on mine today. I was glad my torsion keys went better than yours... I hit then 3 times with a baby sledge 10lb'er on a 12" handle...LOL you wouldn't believe how many times that short handle sledge comes in handy!

jonb8

Adventurer
Glad yours went better then mine.. I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy... I'm a jeep guy so the rear coil springs 5 link I understand a lot better, so it should go pretty smooth today... I have to call today for an alignment and to have my tires mounted and balanced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz