2004 Sportsmobile rear axle swap

brushogger

Explorer
My SMB has a SF Dana 60. I’m trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to swap to a full float axle. I’ve considered a Sterling, but then you get the issue of mismatched lug bolt pattern, and I’m really not a fan of spacers. I think a 14 bolt would take care of that, plus it has the additional pinion support bearing. I don’t know if I really want to put a GM axle in a ford van. This is a very nice truck, and I don’t want to devalue the resale. Would this affect the resale value of the van substantially? The 14 bolt is hell for stout though, and has tons of aftermarket stuff available for it. Thanks for any advice.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I wouldn’t think it would affect resale, after all its already a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaceman

2wd Smb? If so I’d look for a FF dana 60 for ease of swap. If it’s 4wd then you already have mixed bolt patterns and a sterling would fix that. As well I wouldn’t see a 14 bolt devaluing the van, any FF would just add value.

sackettmw

I'd have no problem using a 14 bolt. Anybody who knows the difference is going to know its better than a semi float 60. I'd get whatever was at the junkyard that had the gears I wanted.

WVI

Adventurer
What about a rear out of Dodge 3/4T Ram, 2d gen? Same bolt pattern wheels I believe and if your going to have to do the springs and such....I don't recall what side the diff is sitting.
Axle is much easier to set up supposedly,

brushogger

Explorer
2wd Smb? If so I’d look for a FF dana 60 for ease of swap. If it’s 4wd then you already have mixed bolt patterns and a sterling would fix that. As well I wouldn’t see a 14 bolt devaluing the van, any FF would just add value.

It’s 4wd. The lugs currently match on front and rear with no spacers. 8x6.5. The Sterling is a different pattern.

WVI

Adventurer
Try giving a shout to member "shenrie".
He has done a similar swap on a Quigley I believe.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
14B doesn't have a VSS, you'll need that.

Is the rig really heavy? SF D60 failures aren't very common. I've only seen them fail on really heavy rigs.

brushogger

Explorer
It’s going to be around 9000 lb more or less loaded and wet. Thank you for reminding me about the VSS. I trust your judgement as you have a lot of experience with things like this. If failures are rare, I’d rather leave it be.

I had my 2010 with a SF re-geared to 4.30 at a very reputable shop in Denver. I asked them about the SF durability because I have 2" spacers and 33" tires. They told me there should be no problem unless I overload, jump or go up to 38" tires. I trust their opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior