2004 Pre-DEF Fuso 4x4 Rust Concerns

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Rust in older Fuso's was one reason we bit the bullet and imported a truck from Europe. We really wanted a pre DPF truck. We even looked at a 2010 that the dealer said had "surface rust" on the frame (even though it had a DPF) and were pretty excited about it. When we raised the dump body I was able to lift off large chunks of rust from the chassis rails with the sales guy standing there (they ended up sending it off the lot to auction). From my research back then finding a replacement frame was going to be difficult at best (makes sense as most of these 4WD Fusos were bought for northern climates where they salt the roads, did you talk with someone at Busbee, they told me this). Fusos are great trucks but finding a good one seems to be difficult.

dlh62c

Explorer
Is it as bad as this 2001?

Hard to tell but it looks like it has snow plow mounts on the front.

Last edited:

biggoolies

Adventurer
The sandblasted May say it is the worst frame he has seen in 25 years but he is a sandblaster likely not a frame expert. Take it to a truck frame expert and get their opinion. I would also take it on some rough roads out it under extreme torsional stress to see what happens. But that is what I would do.

dlh62c

Explorer
Not sure what the best solution for preventing or reducing the rust other than a under carriage rinsh with water from time to time.

Maybe others have some ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles