2004 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DiD ground strap location

uncompromise

Adventurer
Looking for any information on this. My wife had the battery replaced recently (failed while in Barcelona!), and now we're having issues with the starter. The battery, alternator, belts, clamps are all new and functioning normally, all of the fuses are ok, and the vehicle kicks straight over when using a jump pack, which seems to point to a faulty ground from the battery.

I'm in a back brace at the moment, so can't get under the truck to locate it myself, and am asking my wife to inspect it and take photos of it for inspection.

Additionally, any information on either the OEM cable assembly, or recommendations on upgrades, would be greatly appreciated. I've not been able to find anything specific to my vehicle in any of my searches, but know the information is out there somewhere.

Cheers
Cameron

CharlieNorth

Clean the battery terminals and go from there. If the starter works with a jump pack, don't fix the starter. Use a volt meter and check each terminal when used load to find which one has the resistance in it.

uncompromise

Adventurer
Thanks @CharlieNorth. Went through the process of cleaning the terminals, and replacing the battery clamps; have also ordered a new battery as the existing one was only 640 CCA and this vehicle is recommended to have a minimum of 750. Have also reset the ECU. Negative cable is correctly grounded (saw the spot as soon as we removed the battery). Also recharged and repaired the battery using the Noco Genius, and when we put it back in the vehicle turned over immediately. Battery holding steady at 12.7v, 14.6 when the engine is running. So clearly no issues with the starter, alternator or battery as it currently stands, and also no parasitic draw. I suspect that when we replace the starter battery it’s going to be the end of our woes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles