2004 Land Cruiser - Couple of quick questions

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I'm hoping to look at a 2004 LC in the next couple of days - original owner, 125,000 miles, no lockers, seven seats, very good condition. He hasn't changed the timing belt or water pump yet. I'm wondering what that typically costs to replace? Also, what's a ballpark cost to swap out all the fluids - diffs, trans, transfer case? Do owners run regular or premium fuel? Any specific things to look for? I've heard these engines go for about 500k, is this correct? Thanks!

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Parts for the TB can be from 250-350 if I remember right. There is a local shop (reputable) that will do the 90k service for around 700 but from what I've read thats kind of low.

I usually run mid grade in my 2007.

whitenoise

Adventurer
These are the best resources for anyone looking to get a 100 series Landcruiser.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-lc-lx-faq-and-featured-trucks.30754/

Can't comment on timing belt but if you're doing the work yourself, changing all the fluids on the truck is not more than a couple of hundred $ at most if you go with the recommended grades. I went with synthetic only for the engine since my intent is to regularly change out the driveline fluids. I run 87 octane fuel and get about 17mpg highway. Yet to do 90k service which includes timing belt, water pump, tensioners, belts etc and also front wheel bearing repacking.

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I went and had a look this afternoon. The truck is clean and drives very nicely. However, the owner is a smoker who has smoked in it for the last twelve years and I don't think we could get the smell out enough for my wife to enjoy driving with me as she is allergic to cigarette smoke. Too bad, it was very nice.

jhawk

Adventurer
I wouldn't pass on a good truck over the smell, a decent car wash/detail place can do wonders. I know from experience.

So no more LR3?

Jim

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I was actually looking at it for my wife and as a vehicle for longer trips. The LR3 just passed 180,000 miles and maybe I shouldn't say this too loud, but running very well and returning great gas mileage. It would have been tough to let it go. She could smell the smoke as soon as she walked into the garage and I don't think it would have come out enough for her unfortunately. She didn't even come on the test drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online