2004 Jeep Grand WJ build thread

jwp2121

Observer
Just purchased my newest toy. Almost untouched 2004 WJ 4.0L with 128K. So far I have added Rusty's 2.5" front coils, 2" rear coils and Bilstein 5100 shocks. Also Hankook Dynapro 265/70R16 tires. Looking at turning this into a very capable family expedition vehicle with a long arm kit and 33's. Any input is appreciated. Jesse

Attachments

• Jeep 1.jpg
    Jeep 1.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Jeep 2.jpg
    Jeep 2.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 122

jwp2121

Observer
Stage 2 of suspension mods!

I added some 3/4" front spacers from KOR to get the jeep to sit level. Even with the 2.5" coils it sat pretty "stink bug". Now it is lifted 3 1/4" in front and 2" in back.
I also installed JKS discos to gain some additional flex.
Removed the plastic cladding from the rockers also and trimmed the front bumper to gain a better approach angle. Looks much better.
Purchased a JKS adjustable track bar with the KOR super hard bushing upgrade that I am hoping to install tomorrow.

Attachments

• Jeep 5.jpg
    Jeep 5.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 112
  • Jeep 3.jpg
    Jeep 3.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Jeep 4.jpg
    Jeep 4.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 106

jwp2121

Observer
First family outing in Jeep.

Took a quick trip up to Julian for some pie and scenery. Got the wife behind the wheel for the first time and she is starting to like it. Ended up driving Boulder Creek Trail, which is about 25 miles long. Great Sunday.
Not the best light in the photo but you can kinda see the bumper trim I did and also the new stance with the spacers.

Attachments

• BC 7.jpg
    BC 7.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 91
  • BC 6.JPG
    BC 6.JPG
    436.3 KB · Views: 101
  • BC 5.jpg
    BC 5.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 84
  • BC 4.jpg
    BC 4.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 87
  • BC 1.jpg
    BC 1.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 84
  • BC 2.jpg
    BC 2.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

madZJ

Observer
Use a hub to fender measurement for actual lift height. Sounds like your off to a good start. If you were lucky enough to get one with Quadradrive you'ld be a step ahead in the game.

jwp2121

Observer
madZJ

I will measure and post soon. Thanks. It has select trac.

Mitch502

Ya its really clean under there. I plan to change that soon. Have a few trips planned for this summer already, including Sequoia National Park.

jwp2121

Observer
Method True Beadlocks ordered!

I just ordered a set of 17x9 Method Wheels series 105 real beadlocks in matte black. They are a month out right now and I can't wait to get them.
Also plan on running either BFG AT KO2's or Toyo's new Open Country R/T's in 285/70R17. I have always had nothing but good things to say about BFG's but that new Toyo RT looks bad ***!
Anyone running either tire have any input?

Attachments

• MR105 2.jpg
    MR105 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 70
  • MR105.jpg
    MR105.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 73
  • toyo rt.jpg
    toyo rt.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 72

jwp2121

Observer
K&N FIPK Installed

Went to inspect my stock air filter the other day and noticed the plastic airbox was crumbling away where the metal clips hold the lid on. So, I figured it was a perfect time to buy an upgrade and went with the K&N. I have had these intakes on all my other vehicles and have nothing but good things to say about them. Install was super easy and the engine sounds much better when accelerating. I also bought the pre-filter to help keep dirt out.

While I was under the hood I noticed a small coolant leak so I did a pressure test on the system. Found two hose clamps that were loose and thought I fixed it. Drove it again today and noticed it looks like the water pump is weeping. I would like to go the Flowcooler pump and Robert Shaw T-Stat route.
Anyone have experience on these products?

Attachments

• K&N 2.JPG
    K&N 2.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 81
  • K&N.JPG
    K&N.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 80

jwp2121

Observer
JKS track bar install with KOR super hard bushing upgrade

Finally found some time to install my JKS Track bar after it sat for about a week. Was just killing me to have parts sitting around and no time to install them. I upgraded to the KOR super hard bushings also after reading so many posts stating the JKS bushings lead to DW. Install was pretty easy and I used a ratchet strap to center everything. I must of measured at least five times to make sure I centered the axle correctly. The alignment shop I took the Jeep to was about 20 miles away and the thing drove great the whole way. Only thing I noticed was the steering wheel was off a bit. Everything turned out great at the shop and the tech said he didn't have to adjust the track bar at all. I felt pretty good about hearing that.

Attachments

• jks.jpg
    jks.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 82

jwp2121

Observer
ROLA roof rack install

Didn't waste anytime letting the newest addition to the Jeep sit in the garage today. I gave the kids all the bubble wrap from the packaging to keep them busy while I threw the rack together. I am going to weld the three pieces along with a tire mount and hi lift jack mount but for now I wanted to see it on the Jeep. Definitely improves the look and functionality. Let me know what you think. I ordered the extension with the rack and it came at separate days. When I opened the package, all the mounting hardware and rubber gaskets were missing for the extension. So for now I used some screws I had and silicone on the gaps. I mounted it as far towards the rear as possible. With the rear hatch open it clears by about 3/4". Wind noise isn't noticeable until over 50mph. Anything over that and you can definitely tell it's up there but not that annoying. If the radio is on it's not really noticeable. I might play around with the deflector (more area covered with additional sheet metal) and see if that helps at all. I just put exhaust on today so the wind noise is even less of an issue.

Attachments

• rola.jpg
    rola.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 85
  • r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 64
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 67
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 95
  • r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 98

madZJ

Observer
I put a Rola rack on mine and have had good results. I must have gotten an early unit as it is a one piece design.

jwp2121

Observer
Flowkooler water pump and Robertshaw T-Stat Install

Installed the new water pump and thermostat yesterday. I ended up removing the entire radiator and fan shroud as a unit after I fought with the four bolts on the shroud. The bottom two bolts are right next to the frame rails and very hard to access. The drivers side also has cooler lines in the way making it almost impossible to see the bolt. It was much faster to just remove the radiator and it creates a ton of room to access the pump. I also spent the extra money on OEM gaskets and the infamous Mopar (HOAT) coolant. The install was easy and not too time consuming. Prepping the surfaces for the new gaskets took the most time and I cleaned everything on the engine I could reach while it was torn apart. The one complaint I have about the Flowkooler pump is that it is tapped with coarse thread holes for the pulley. The factory bolts are fine thread. Luckily I had four bolts that fit and was able to finish the job without a trip to the parts store.

Attachments

• jeep3.jpg
    jeep3.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 65
  • jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 53
  • jeep5.jpg
    jeep5.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 55
  • jeep4.jpg
    jeep4.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 58

jwp2121

Observer
My home built CO2 onboard air system

Here is the first piece of my new onboard air system I'm building using CO2 instead of a compressor. Picked up a full 10lb aluminum cylinder from a local store by me for $83.00 out the door after shopping around. I also ordered the Polyperformance constant flow regulator for $40 and it should be delivered today. I will post more pics when I finish the install.
6/1/15 - Regulator came finally. I have to say that I was disappointed when I opened the package and the first thing I saw was a big sticker that said MADE IN CHINA! The regulator is NOT the one pictured on the Polyperformance site. If I knew this was gonna be the case, I would of ordered the Instant Air Supply brand regulator that is made in the USA.

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    regulator.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 44
  • co2 bottle.jpg
    co2 bottle.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 43

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles