2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ

ZMagic97

Explorer
Hi all.

I haven't posted here in some time due to a lot things going on: new baby, classic car project, moving homes as a new build, work travel....etc. All just excuses, but I've missed some adventure and "utilitarian" types of vehicles.

Here is some background info if you are interested: I was daily driving a 2005 Silverado single cab from 2012 to late 2017 when I got a good deal from a friend for a 2011 Camaro 2SS. I sold the Silverado due to a lack of room, and a few months later our baby boy was born. Soon after, we needed more room and build a home with the hings we both wanted: split floor plan, large garage and side parking, and a big kitchen for family moments at home. We did a double move with stuff in storage and it all happened so fast we did not adventurous things. It felt like a rut.

Move to April of 2019 and I was was leaving to TriCities, Washington to work for about 7 weeks. I told my wife I was thinking of getting a WJ out there. We both love the platform (thought aftermarket support these days if hard to find) and TriCities was perfect: dry climate so no rust, but not as hot as Phoenix where the dry climate and harsh summers ruin all plastic and rubber items, and the better condition ones were less expensive. While staying in Richland, I went down to Hermiston, Oregon and looked at this WJ for $4200. It's a 2004 Rocky Mountain Edition: I was glad it is based off of the Laredo as it has the more simplified HVAC system, but still offers the overhead info center, dual power front seats, power mirrors, power door locks, and windows, and a power sunroof which wasn't a bad bonus. Everything seemed great minus some fluid leaks. I got it for $3500 and they delivered it to me in Washington.521986521988521989521990521991521992

Sorry the photos are not the best: it's what I had gotten from the seller originally.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Now, I'll tell you now that you're not going to be seeing some really exciting build. I know that doesn't sound thrilling, but I have my reasons. Such as:

-This Jeep is made to be a daily driver to help keep miles off the Camaro. It has the 4.0 I6, so I know it'll handle a lot of miles. I plan on maintaining it pretty well, so by no means is it a beater.
-I have 3 kids. Before the WJ, our GMC Sierra was the only family friendly vehicle we had. This is a redundant vehicle that can fit the family, go anywhere at anytime, and take camping. And unlike the 7ft tall GMC, can be taken into parking garages and smaller spaces.
-Because of my needs for it, it needs to maintain good street drive-ability, decent gas mileage, and have a mostly as-built drive line for reliability and ease of maintenance.

Since I had a rental car and company card for fuel, I didn't drive the Jeep too much in Washington. I was working nigh shift with one night off a week, so I got some small things online that were delivered to the apartment I was renting for the time.

The first thing was rain guards by AVS (Auto Vent Shade). I had them on the Silverado and loved them for the fact that they not only keep out rain, but are good for venting the interior heat out mid-summer without letting too much dust or potential rain in. Also, I love cracking open the windows in the rain and cool mornings for the fresh air, just like the rest of the family. Also, I gave it a good wash at the local coin-op before getting a new battery.

ZMagic97

Explorer
One of the other things I did was changed the interior lights. Via a $10 kit on eBay, I changed the old lights to red LEDs: they're easier on the eyes on night and don't wake the sleeping kids like the white lights.

I also put my SiriusXM radio in and grabbed a nice sunshade from Covercraft. Thy're not cheap, but they last much longer than the $10 ones from local big box stores, keep the vehicle cooler, and add to privacy when parked such that what you have inside the vehicle is much harder to see. Also, the Sirius antenna is on the dash for now. Seems to work well enough.522025522023

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Nice looking build and geeat base to start with. We’ve got well over 200,00 miles on our 2004 with the v8 H.O. Engine, tranny went around 212k but has been great.

jpat30

Adventurer
Nice find; I recently sold my 03 WJ. Like you, I bought a laredo for several of the reasons you listed; dirt simple and bulletproof I6, selectrac combo, no dual zone HVAC with dreaded blend doors to deal with. While true it doesnt enjoy the aftermarket support of say a JK, there are plenty of companies out there building good stuff. Everything from bumpers, sliders, racks, etc. Stick to a lift under 4 inches or save up for long arms if going over that. I ran the OME HD coils front and rear which rode fantastic and provided enough clearance to comfortably clear 32 inch ATs on JK rubicon takeoffs. Anyway, good luck.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Nice looking build and geeat base to start with. We’ve got well over 200,00 miles on our 2004 with the v8 H.O. Engine, tranny went around 212k but has been great.

Thank you! I was close to getting a WK with the V8, but it had a lot more wear on the vehicle. I did like the power band on it.

Nice find; I recently sold my 03 WJ. Like you, I bought a laredo for several of the reasons you listed; dirt simple and bulletproof I6, selectrac combo, no dual zone HVAC with dreaded blend doors to deal with. While true it doesnt enjoy the aftermarket support of say a JK, there are plenty of companies out there building good stuff. Everything from bumpers, sliders, racks, etc. Stick to a lift under 4 inches or save up for long arms if going over that. I ran the OME HD coils front and rear which rode fantastic and provided enough clearance to comfortably clear 32 inch ATs on JK rubicon takeoffs. Anyway, good luck.

Thanks! I'm still telling myself to keep the ride height stock, but I may do a very small life when it comes time to get new tires. And yes, the JK has a lot more support which I am certainly used to from the 2008 I had.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I ran the OME HD coils front and rear which rode fantastic and provided enough clearance to comfortably clear 32 inch ATs on JK rubicon takeoffs. Anyway, good luck.

I ran on OME and 32's on my old Grand. Worked well for me.

Thanks! I'm still telling myself to keep the ride height stock, but I may do a very small life when it comes time to get new tires. And yes, the JK has a lot more support which I am certainly used to from the 2008 I had.
I think they need a little lift. I went with a 2.5" OME on my old one. I liked it.

ZMagic97

Explorer
One of the things to do before I drove home was make it family friendly: my wife and two boys flew up right before I came home. I had it ready about a week ahead of time. I installed a booster seat and car seat for them, and also tinted the windows to be ready for the Nevada and Arizona sun and heat.

Also, I went to Harbor Freight and a local tool store for some basic items I may need for the drive home. I removed the CD changer in the rear hatch, passenger side, for the tools. Some of the bigger items are under the rear sear. I'd like to find a better solution in the future (even if just a bag tied down) but this worked for now.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That looks great! Any idea how much the MPG was effected? I know Jeeps aren't about mileage: I'm just trying to stay in a fair band for the daily driver usage.

Also, did you install the lift? If so, how did it go?
I can't recall. Sold it about 12 year ago. It had the 4.0L and 3:73's. I do know mileage dropped. I drove around a stock H2 S.U.T. for a weekend and noted the H2 actually got better mileage... :oops:

I did not install the lift.

drinkdrankdrunk

I'm at 3" on 32's in a 4.0 with a roof rack and a rear tire carrier. At 55mph I can hit 20mpg. Usually my interstate driving is 75-80mph I usually average 16mpg. City is around 12-13mpg.

Granted the engine and tranny in mine only have 21k miles. Before the swap at 225k with the same setup I usually got 15mpg on the interstate and city was about the same as now.

Patrick-A51

My wife and I are new to the Jeep world here are some photos of our 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Attachments

• 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3 IMG_0606-1.JPG
    2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3 IMG_0606-1.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 38

ZMagic97

Explorer
I'm at 3" on 32's in a 4.0 with a roof rack and a rear tire carrier. At 55mph I can hit 20mpg. Usually my interstate driving is 75-80mph I usually average 16mpg. City is around 12-13mpg.

Granted the engine and tranny in mine only have 21k miles. Before the swap at 225k with the same setup I usually got 15mpg on the interstate and city was about the same as now.

Right now I get about 16 flat on the freeway all stock. However, I drive about 35 miles to work one way, mostly doing ~80MPH with the cruise on. All freeways around here are 65-75MPH zones.
My wife and I are new to the Jeep world here are some photos of our 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Look good!

ZMagic97

Explorer
I have some photos and such to put up from my trip home (which I returned home about 10 days ago from). I was gone for about 7 weeks, so I've been doing a lot of catching up lately. I alwso did some work to the Jeep that I'll talk about.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Ok, now that I have some morning coffee and time, I can catch back up here.

It was a Thursday night, June 6th that was my last night at work in Washington. I took the Jeep in, did some administrative things, and headed back to the apartment around 10. With the boys sleeping, my wife and I packed up just about everything and got to bed just before 1am Friday. We woke at around 6, finished packing and cleaning up, and headed out from Richland, WA.

Fitting everything in the WJ was a but tough (3 large suitcases, a pack-and-play, stroller, and some random items) but doable all in the rear cargo area. Surprisingly, the I could still see out the back window too.

We ended up stopping in Couer d'Alene, ID for lunch and ended up in Livingston, MT that night. The Jeep was doing great for a 15 year old vehicle that I had done pretty much no maintenance to (except a new battery in Richland a little while after I bought it).

Of course, it did need some stops for fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier