2004 Grand Cherokee WJ Columbia Edition Build

ApexWrangler

So, a little background about myself to get things started...

I'm Rob. I've been a Jeep / Honda enthusiast for the better part of the past 20 years. I know, two worlds that often mix about as well as oil and water. My first car was a Honda Civic, my second was a Jeep Wrangler. Then I owned an 02 Civic SI, a 92 Jeep Cherokee, which I still have, and an 04 S2000, which I recently sold. I've also owned a few other Jeeps here and there, I've got a 74 CJ5 that's been in my garage for a few years just waiting for some time to give it some love. Eventually I'll get it back in "drive-able" condition. I enjoy AutoX with my Hondas, and exploring and wheeling in my Jeeps.

I won't keep it a secret, I work for a major aftermarket Jeep parts & accessories retailer... you can probably figure it out pretty quick ;) I consider myself pretty lucky that I've landed myself in a job where I get to work on Jeeps most days in some way or another. I also get to travel and go on some pretty sweet trips for work, namely Moab for Easter Jeep Safari! And we take regular wheeling trips to Rausch Creek and AOAA here in PA.

So, on to my latest Jeep and the story behind it and going forward...

A few months ago I sold the S2000 that I had been using for my daily driver which left me with my '92 Cherokee to commute back and forth to work. Don't get me wrong, I love my Cherokee. It's a very fun and capable Jeep that has taken me on many great adventures. Driving it to and from work wasn't so bad for a few weeks, but I failed to mention that my commute is about a 35 mile drive each way that takes about an hour and includes everything from winding two-lane roads to a stretch on I-95 through Wilmington, Delaware. So, it didn't take too long before I was on the hunt for something a bit more refined and comfortable for everyday use.

Off to the internet I went. I scoured Craigslist and AutoTrader for a few weeks. Went back and forth about just what kind of car, truck or Jeep would be the best fit. I had a check list of features I wanted and capabilities that my new vehicle would have to be up to the task of completing. Comfort was high on the list. Automatic. Leather seats, preferable, but not a deal breaker. It had to have enough room for the family and all our stuff, and had to be able to tow the boat, a 21' Wellcraft bowrider (approx. 3,500lbs), in the summertime. And it still had to be fun to drive. Oh yeah, and my budget I gave myself was $5,000!

Given the budget, I was willing for the mileage to be a little on the high side, but still wanted to find something nice. Being able to tow about 5,000lbs. ruled out a car. I found myself looking at Toyota Tacomas and 4 Runners. I have some friends with Tacomas and they love them and I've always had and interest in them as well. I was also looking at Grand Cherokees, both the WJ and the WK. My girlfriend has a '04 WJ Overland... which I love driving. It's comfortable, can tow the boat, has leather, AWD, and it's fun to drive thanks to the High Output 4.7 V8! While it may seem I little silly to have two Grand Cherokees in the family, I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was a little jealous that I didn't get to drive the WJ everyday. So that settled it. I focused my search on 2004 Grand Cherokee.

I was specifically looking for an '04 model year, as they are known to be the best of the 99-04 build range for the WJ. I really like the updated look of the '04 vs. the earlier years, both the exterior styling and the interior seating. I was also focusing on Limited and Overland models, basically because I knew they would include all the features that I really liked, leather, etc, but also because they had all painted body cladding and tend to look better over time than the black plastic trim on the Laredo models that commonly fades over time. I also knew I wanted the V8 in place of the 4.0L straight six. While the six is a great motor, I have over 200,000 miles on the 4.0L in my XJ, I wanted the extra power provided by the 4.7L for towing the boat. I found a few promising Grands for sale, but none had really "checked all the boxes" as they say. Until I stumbled on a pristine Columbia Edition!

1-front.jpg

2-rear.jpg

This Grand literally met every requirement I had. It had been garage kept, and was in beautiful condition. It had less than 80,000 miles on it, and had been optioned with the High Output 4.7L V8, Towing package, 44 rear with 3.73 gears, and it even had leather seats! Now, Columbia Editions were never available in leather, so this was a bit of a mystery. The seats were the appropriate color scheme and even had the embroidered Columbia Edition logo. Even the seller had done a little research, but had never seen another Columbia with leather. After a bit of investigation, we found a small logo on the map pocket on the back of the driver and passenger seat that read Classic Soft Trim. Best guess is the original owner, either through the dealer or shortly after purchase, had the Columbia Edition seats copied in Leather and had the seats re-upholstered. I loved the two-tone look of the Columbia and the fact that the bumpers and side cladding were PAINTED a deep gunmetal silver instead of being un-painted plastic.

3-garage-kept.JPG

5-front-seats.JPG

6-rear-seats.JPG

Even though I ended up just a bit over budget... I couldn't be happier with my latest Jeep! There are a few things I'd like to add that weren't originally an option on the Columbia Edition (which was basically a highly optioned Laredo), but overall the plan is to keep it very "daily-driveable" and comfortable, with a few improvements to make it a bit more capable.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Sweet score! :victory:

Which version of 4WD does this have?
I'd never heard of the Columbia version before yours. I had an '04 Overland as well.
If you haven't already found them, there are a couple of good sites with info.
The WJ subforum over at Jeepforum dot com
and,
wjjeeps dot com

FWIW: I had a window regulator plastic block fail on one of the rear windows. After replacing that regulator, I picked up a set of aluminum blocks and replaced the plastic blocks with them to keep from having another window issue (when the block fails the window falls open).
http://www.pocketlogger.com/x/jpw
Was easy to do, and when I pulled the other three regulators out for the "fix" they all had stress cracks. So it was a timely repair (had about 112K miles at that point).
All the other common issues are well laid out on both forums mentioned above.
Loved my '04 and miss it to this day.

Looking forward to watching your progress. :beer:

slicklizzard

What a beaut, man. I've had my '04 for three years now, and it's spec'd to your liking: a Limited with the 4.7L HO and Quadradrive. I think the only options I don't have are nav, rock sliders, and tow hooks. I confess that sometimes I'll spend an afternoon in the office on craigslist lusting over Wranglers, Xterras, FJ Cruisers, 4Runners, Tacos, Tahoes, or Suburbans, but every time I get in and drive my WJ I fall back in love. With what else can you have a V8, four-wheel discs, solid axles, leather interior w/ heated seats, and 6,500 lbs of towing capacity in a vehicle that you can turn around on single track in the woods at this price point? It's really the ultimate Jeep: solid axles, 4 doors, and a V8.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
What a beaut, man. I've had my '04 for three years now, and it's spec'd to your liking: a Limited with the 4.7L HO and Quadradrive. I think the only options I don't have are nav, rock sliders, and tow hooks. I confess that sometimes I'll spend an afternoon in the office on craigslist lusting over Wranglers, Xterras, FJ Cruisers, 4Runners, Tacos, Tahoes, or Suburbans, but every time I get in and drive my WJ I fall back in love. With what else can you have a V8, four-wheel discs, solid axles, leather interior w/ heated seats, and 6,500 lbs of towing capacity in a vehicle that you can turn around on single track in the woods at this price point? It's really the ultimate Jeep: solid axles, 4 doors, and a V8.

I was in the middle of a V8, YJ build in 2007 and took a trip to Moab for the first time from Ohio. My WJ only had a spacer lift and take-off TJ Rubicon tires. Everything I was doing to the YJ the WJ already had. Plus AC, cruise control and room for the family. All while getting 19mpg on the highway.

I will fully admit my WJ wasnt as capable rock crawling as my YJ but it did set in motion my current build. Ill have a grand total about equal to the axle mods alone when Im finished. Love my WJ!

ApexWrangler

Sweet score! :victory:

Which version of 4WD does this have?
I'd never heard of the Columbia version before yours. I had an '04 Overland as well.

Thanks! It has the Quadra-Trac II 4wd system. So basically I've got the same NP247 transfer case that your overland had, without the Vari-lok axles. I'm considering adding them down the road, and maybe swapping the transfer case out for a NP242HD.

What a beaut, man. I've had my '04 for three years now, and it's spec'd to your liking: a Limited with the 4.7L HO and Quadradrive. I think the only options I don't have are nav, rock sliders, and tow hooks. ... With what else can you have a V8, four-wheel discs, solid axles, leather interior w/ heated seats, and 6,500 lbs of towing capacity in a vehicle that you can turn around on single track in the woods at this price point? It's really the ultimate Jeep: solid axles, 4 doors, and a V8.

I feel the same way! When I added up everything I wanted in the vehicle, the WJ is the winner hands down! My girlfriends '04 Overland has the factory rock rails. I'm debating on trying to find a set for mine, or just going with the JCR sliders. I also don't have the factory tow hooks, but I'm thinking about doing an ARB bumper eventually, so I'm not sure it's worth trying to find a set of tow hooks for the mean time.

I was in the middle of a V8, YJ build in 2007 and took a trip to Moab for the first time from Ohio. My WJ only had a spacer lift and take-off TJ Rubicon tires. Everything I was doing to the YJ the WJ already had. Plus AC, cruise control and room for the family. All while getting 19mpg on the highway.

I will fully admit my WJ wasnt as capable rock crawling as my YJ but it did set in motion my current build. Ill have a grand total about equal to the axle mods alone when Im finished. Love my WJ!

How did the WJ do in Moab? i'll be out there for Easter Jeep Safari for work, but I'm thinking about going back in June for Grand Slam West and driving the WJ out. I should have a 2" lift and 31" tires by then. I have my XJ that's set up more for rock crawling and really beating on it. I intend to keep the WJ more for overloading / exploring with the family.

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
How did the WJ do in Moab? i'll be out there for Easter Jeep Safari for work, but I'm thinking about going back in June for Grand Slam West and driving the WJ out. I should have a 2" lift and 31" tires by then. I have my XJ that's set up more for rock crawling and really beating on it. I intend to keep the WJ more for overloading / exploring with the family.

The other jeeps with me were a TJ, locked on 35s, an XJ, rear locked on 31s, and a couple of other typical trail Jeeps on the White Rim Trail. We ran many of the common Moab area trails, Metal Masher, Fins n Things, Long Canyon, Kane Creek, Klondike Bliffs, etc.

The jeep did great. Never needed a strap or winch, but I needed a good spotter a few times. The only issue was a blown shock (rear Doetch Tech). Shocks were new before trip but I was a little overzealous on some of thelong dirt stretches.

file.php

Metal Masher...spilled my cooler all over the back seat right before this pic!

file.php

Kane Creek.

I sold this Jeep with 280,000 miles on it. Great car and I regret selling it.

Last edited:

ApexWrangler

Looks like you had a great Moab trip! I recognize that exact ledge climbing up the canyon wall in Kane Creek!

So, I've officially started the modification process on the WJ. First up on the list were a few maintenance items to get out of the way, oil change, new battery and I replaced the lift gate and lift gate glass support struts. I knew they were worn out... but they still held the gate open. Man, what a difference new struts made though! I no longer have to lift the gate open, now it flies up all on its own and the glass struts are strong enough that I'm sure I could drive down the road with the back glass open.

After I checked the boring maintenance items off my list, I could get on to the fun stuff! First up was some auxiliary lighting, and a free-er flowing intake for the Hight Output V8. I have a full range of Truck-Lite and Rigid LED lights on my XJ that make night time driving a pleasure, whether I'm on or off-road. So for the WJ, I immediately started looking for where I could make some lighting improvements. I replaced all of the old marker lights in the headlight housings with fresh new amber bulbs, partly out of my OCD for asthetic reasons, and also so I wouldn't have to worry about replacing any bulbs in the near future.

8-old-headlight-bulbs.JPG

11-old-bulb-discolored.JPG

12-new-bulbs.JPG

While I had the housings out of the grill, I also installed an HID kit for the low beams. I also swapped in some Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow bulbs into the fog lights.

For auxillary off-road lighting, I decided to add a 20" Rigid Radiance LED Light Bar into the lower grill opeing using 4x4 Fabworks Bumper Brackets. I have the 50" version of the Radiance bar on my XJ that I love. The back-lighting looks awesome and the light output is great. Rigid's quality and the very affordable price point of the Radiance line made adding a 20" Radiance bar in the lower grille opening a no-brainer!

239870.jpg

1-teardown.JPG

4-mounting-rigid-radiance.JPG

The switches that came with the radiance wiring harness fit perfectly below the instrument cluster, and I still have room to add a few extra in the future, which is nice, as I'm sure I'll be installing a few extra lights down the road.

6-radiance-switches.JPG

7-radiance-switches.JPG

13-finshed.JPG

As for my first performance modification, I chose to ditch the factory boring air intake in favor of a K&N 57 Series FIPK Performance Intake. The HO V8 definitely feels a little better with the intake on there, and it sounds 100% better.

1-kn-boxes.jpg

3-kn-factory-intake.JPG

4-kn-factory-removed.JPG

7-kn-installed.JPG

Last edited:

ApexWrangler

I also made a few interior additions in the way of an auto-dimming rear-view mirror and an EVIC module that has the tire pressure monitor funtions. The rear view mirror was a super easy swap thanks to the fact that all the wiring was already there from the factory. It was just hidden up behind the EVIC console.

1-mirror-comparison.JPG

3-mirror-grab-wiring.JPG

5-mirror-pull-wiring-down.JPG

7-mirror-auto-dim-installed.JPG

The EVIC that was in my Jeep already had the homelink buttons which was nice, but I really like having the TPMS especially on a daily driver. Thanks to the model year / part number breakdown on wjjeeps.com I was also able to pin down my search to the 02 year EVIC module that also has the instant MPG feature on it. Really I could have lived without, but hey, since I was changing it out, might as well get all the OEM options, right? I found the module on eBay, and it was actually out of a Chrysler 300. I couldn't swap the entire console in because the WJ and the 300 used different sunroof switches for some reason, but it was just as easy to unscrew the module from the console and simply swap it over.

2-evic-from-300.JPG

1-evic-screws.jpg

3-evic-removed.jpg

4-evic-homelink-psi-label.jpg

6-evic-psi.JPG

8-evic-instant-mpg-2.JPG

While I had the cosole down, I took the opportunity to install some LEDs in the map lights as well as replacing the rest of the interior lights with them as well. Just a creature comfort thing really, but they're nice and bright at night. It'll definitely make finding something burried in the bottom of a bag in the back of the Jeep while on a camping trip much easier at night.

1-led-before-after-leds.jpg

2-led-before-after-evic.jpg

3-led-before-after-front.jpg

4-led-before-after-middle.jpg

5-led-before-after-rear.jpg

That's about it for now. Tires and suspension will be next up. I'm about 90% settled on the Old Man Emu suspesion for my WJ. Has anyone else run the HD springs? I know they say they'll give me 1.5" of lift, but I've read everything from that all the way up to about 3" of gain. I would imagine it all depends on how worn out the original springs on the Jeep are now.

As for tires, I'm going to be giving the brand new Deegan 38 all-terrain tires from Mickey Thompson a try. My brother and some co-workers are running the Deegan 38 mud-terrain tires now and all have nothing but good things to say about them. Seeing as my WJ will see about 90% or more of it's time on paved roads, the all-terrains just make way more sense than a mud-terrain. I'm going with a 265/65R17 size tire, so the OME suspension should give me room for tire. The plan was to run them on my OE wheels, but I'm a little worried about the backspacing on them. I've also been considering the AEV Savegre wheels. I've always loved those wheels, and I've seen a few other WJ's running them and I think they really fit the WJ well. Guess we'll see.

jpat30

Adventurer
Yes I run OME HD springs front and rear on my WJ and have for 4 years. They are great. Replace your factory isolators when you swap to the new springs. You will net an honest 3 inches of lift and the jeep will ride much better. Plan on running an adjustable trac bar up front to center your axle and throw on a good set of shocks and you will be amazed at how it rides and performs. In my opinion, 3 inches is perfect for a WJ, any higher and you really need to invest in long arms to correct the front geometry. As far as tire size with this set up, I run BFG KO2s in LT 265 70 17, load range c on factory rubicon take-offs. I love the factory look and have not had any problems with the factory back spacing. I will rub slight when backing up in full lock, but not enough to bother. I though about running spacers once, but I like how the tires are kept inside the fenders. Here is a pic of the above mentioned set up. The second is same set up just different set of factory wheels.
Jeep Pics 017.jpg Hidden Falls 2015-4.jpg

jpat30

Adventurer
oh and I meant to ask, where did you get the led replacement dome lights? Those look great and have to be 100 times better than what is stock in there..

ApexWrangler

oh and I meant to ask, where did you get the led replacement dome lights? Those look great and have to be 100 times better than what is stock in there..

Got em off eBay. It was a little more than $10 for the entire set!

16 pcs LED White Lights Interior Package Kit For Jeep Grand Cherokee 1999-2004

There was actually about 6 extra lights in the pack that I got that have no application in the WJ at all, and I was missing one of the festoon type bulbs that I needed... There was only two in the pack, but the WJ needs three. One in each 2nd row light and one in the cargo area. I emailed the seller and they sent me an additional bulb for the cargo area so it all worked out perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke