2004 Fuso FG 639 vs 649

Currently considering a Fuso FG as the chassis for my build. Happened to find out a close friend of mine has a 2004 Fuso FG that he is willing to let go. Thing is, its an automatic with 5 lug wheels which would make it a 639. The sales brochure for 04 Fuso FG list the payload of the 639 as 6255lbs and the payload of the 649 as 8515. Now pretty much everything besides the transmission is listed as the same between the two(brochure also lists 639 as having 6 lug wheels) so I'm wondering why there is an almost 2500lb difference in payload capacity if the axles and suspension are the same?

Sales Brochure PDF for reference:

kerry

Expedition Leader
It’s a question I’ve asked here before without an answer. My USA 99FG is rated for 12k lbs. a year or so later they were rated at 14k lbs. Mine is classified as a light duty truck in the USA. The 14k version a medium duty truck. I wish I knew the differences.

It’s a question I’ve asked here before without an answer. My USA 99FG is rated for 12k lbs. a year or so later they were rated at 14k lbs. Mine is classified as a light duty truck in the USA. The 14k version a medium duty truck. I wish I knew the differences.
Theres no way the automatic transmission weighs 2300 pounds more than the manual so it really doesn't make much sense. I'm mostly asking because my habitat will weigh around 5000 empty so it could approach 6000 fully loaded and I don't want it to be an issue.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Ok, I've just gone through this looking for a suitable chassis for my "Yes or No" vehicle and can tell you that the running gear on most is the same but there is a difference in the chassis dimensions on some (height, width and thickness). Is this the difference in what you are looking at - you will have to study that.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles