2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Rig Build

TimCasa

This post will serve as a digital journal to document all the work/modifications done to my rig over time. *I will try to update this post as much as possible.*

Follow us, Freedomneers, on Instagram!

How the rig currently sits:

20200126_004000.jpg

The Back Story:
After relentless searching and flopping between which vehicle to build up as a project and eventually full-time travel with, I decided to go with an older Ram. It's late August 2019 when I stumbled on this kind Marine veteran's post of a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 for $11,000. After meticulously combing through its nooks and crannies along with a test drive, he was kind enough to drop the price down to $8,500. Of course, it had issues, like a suspected failing transmission and that dang water pump leak, but all checked out good when I found out the engine's main gasket seal was replaced and there was a negligible amount of blowby. So, we pulled the trigger and made the purchase. Driving this beast home was definitely an experience. Between its size, long wheelbase, and its engine power, I knew I had to drop my old driving habits (from driving a 2nd gen Toyota Tacoma) to ensure I drove this thing safely. It was literally a change of pace as the Ram was the first full-size truck I've owned (of course, being in the Army, I've driven some LMTVs and MATVs, but not since I've been out). Anyways, I thought that going with an older model meant less components to service, not worrying about an EGR system, plus they're just a really long wheelbase version of Jeeps (right?). Moreover, you can't go wrong with the 5.9l CTD.

The truck:
2004 Dodge Ram 2500
5.9l HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
4-speed automatic transmission (48RE)
282,300 original miles when bought
8-foot bed
Single rear wheel
4x4
Aftermarket 5" (I think) turbo-back exhaust system (purchased vehicle with mod)

September 2019:
Bone Stock.jpg

She's a leaking clunker, but she's a beaut!

Attachments

• New Shoes.jpg
    New Shoes.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

TimCasa

First Step- Maintenance:

Maintenance.jpg

Being mechanically inclined (or, at least, I like to think I am), I went ahead and made careful purchases, ensuring I prioritized maintenance, and bought the following:
- thermostat
- radiator cap
- belt tensioner
- drive belt
- water pump

After doing careful research on performing the maintenance, the old coolant was flushed (and properly disposed) and proceeded to uninstall the tensioner and water pump. I also decided to make things harder for me by attempting to uninstall all the front components in hopes to get easier access to the tensioner and pump. I ended up kinking an a/c line, so I stopped all work to let that air out. In an attempt to be a good samaritan by ensuring I did not let any coolant drop onto the ground, I inadvertently let refrigerant into the environment, ha.

TimCasa

September 2019:
Filter.jpg

Fuel and oil filter changed. Definitely did some research on the products to buy, so it's nothing but OEM and quality products on the new rig. Good thing I've done the research, or else I would have changed the engine oil after 500 miles! Also, bleeding the fuel out a bit for debris before installing the new fuel filter was just for good measure.

TimCasa

Cool,I hope you get good service and have a lot of fun with it.Has the fuel filter been changed?
I'm glad you asked! See post above.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a bulletproof tranny to handle the future weight plus e-tune, but more that when I update the page.

chet6.7

Explorer
September 2019:
View attachment 550176

Fuel and oil filter changed. Definitely did some research on the products to buy, so it's nothing but OEM and quality products on the new rig. Good thing I've done the research, or else I would have changed the engine oil after 500 miles! Also, bleeding the fuel out a bit for debris before installing the new fuel filter was just for good measure.
Good,I use Fleetguard fuel and oil filters,for the oil I use the StrataPore version.Sometimes Amazon had good prices from Dodge dealers,but some people on CF have bought from third parties and it was not a good outcome.The prices seem to fluctuate on Amazon.If the Amazon price is close to Geno's Garage I buy at Geno's as I know I will get what I pay for.
Some of the new trucks are having issues with the grid heater,the bolt fails,goes in the engine,makes a knock and it's over.There is a wiggle test on the bolt,I disconnected mine as I really don't need the grid heater most of the time.
This is for information,I think it is just newer trucks with the problem.

Fuel filter info.

TimCasa

Good,I use Fleetguard fuel and oil filters,for the oil I use the StrataPore version...

Awesome to know. Now that I recall, the fuel filter is definitely Fleetguard. I sourced all my maintenance info from CF as well. They also provide very good tech tips for some of the maintenance to ensure installing is good. I did use a different motor oil brand, but ill go ahead and drain that out and replace when it's time.

I also placed a Fumoto valve on the engine oil pan for easier oil changes, but the valve protrusion is a bit of a concern. I kept the old plug just in case.

Good to know on the block heaters. I don't see much use for mine, so ill need to disconnect mine as well.

For the fuel, I'm adding Diesel Kleen on every fill up, although i dont go more than 15gal per fill as the truck moves 20miles/week.

chet6.7

Explorer
I have been using diesel clean as well,and I have been carrying some 911,after watching the linked video,I will switch to Hot Shot when I run out of DK, and add another bottle of 911.
I use the Fumoto too,I have seen a picture(years ago on CF) of someone using a hose clamp to secure the lever,I think it was this type.
272848.jpg

Inline6

Adventurer
Ive got the same truck, well with the 6 speed, bought it new and still a great truck.

I have had the clear coat redone by my local paint shop, they all tend to peal at this point in life.

good luck with the project.

TimCasa

October 2019:
Finally got'er smog tested! The tech conducting the inspection said it barely passed opacity test and suspected that there was a tune on the truck. I think it's from the bigger diameter exhaust system. It also could have been from the lack of knowledge about adding diesel additive plus being a lot higher up in elevation (CO). With emission testing completed, I was finally able to register the rig. In addition to being road-legal, it was only necessary to ensure I would be able to see behind me; tow mirrors are a must.

20191114_194142.jpg
Stock Mirrors

20191114_194245.jpg
Tow Mirrors

This upgrade was a bit of an expense; however, it was a 20/20 hindsight choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior