2004 Chinook Glacier 44k miles e450 side door $56k

rawtoxic

I have been looking at this Chinook noticed they did drop price this week. What do you guys think about a 4x4 conversion on this unit? Is the Glacier too long for departure angles? I found a few Glacier build outs on google images not sure if it's a good idea. I really do like the layout of the particular model with the rear kitchen. Does it cost more to convert a e350 or e450 to 4x4?

2004 Chinook Glacier 2500, Class B RV For Sale in Auburn, California | RVT.com - 111406

rawtoxic

I really wanted to get some opinions on the Chinook Glacier I have been thinking more an more about one doing a 4x4 conversion. May not even be necessary I think a lot of Chinooks were ordered limited slip diff too it seems

86scotty

Cynic
Personally I think the Glaciers are just too big to convert to 4x. If you are just wanting a beach fishing machine then sure but where are you really going to take this thing? I did a lot of stuff I should not have done in my Itasca Cambria (24'?) but I would not again. Any offroading, including just washboard road, is going to rattle any mass manufactured RV to pieces. It just all depends on how you plan to use it.

E350/E450 are going to be about the same on 4x conversion. I think the only real difference is beefier frame and bigger brakes.

brp

Observer
I’ll second the thinking that vehicles can get too big to really make good use of a 4x4 system. I have two E350s, one a Quigley limo bus and the other a SRW bus with a Weldtec lift.

I’m really happy with the Weldtec set-up, and with snow rated tires I feel it is totally fine for taking on what a vehicle of that size may encounter.

Tire selection gets weird on a dually as well, assuming you’d want to go bigger with the 4x4 conversion.

Edit: Just to clarify, my Quigley is around 20 feet and my bus is around 18 feet. I think if they were longer, I would just do a Weldtec lift, quality tires a locker or posi, depending on if the vehicle had traction control.

Last edited:

rawtoxic

What we are looking for in a rig. We live in Colorado, right off continental divide at 9500' so part of the deal is after adventures want to be able to make it back to home driveway which is snow / icy usually 4 months of year. Most trips are going to be 2 weeks or less since we have a rental property portfolio to manage we still too young to fully retire. We want to be able to do primary forest service through roads including wash board for miles, don't plan to do glorified off-road trails but I'm sure some things will happen in search of that perfect spot.

We plan to have two towable toys: a small 5000# or under cruiser/ski boat and a suzuki samarui. One of our plans is to have a summer of boating all lakes in Colorado. If I know I want to get in areas with known bad roads will setup rv on outskirts and bring suzuki and tents We currently overland out my 2004 toyota tacoma v6. Just too smail and we want to take some more formal trips to do non-dispersed camping at state parks like in Oklahoma/Arkansas stuff like that, we will do mostly dispersed but I am sure we want to do some campgrounds in a few areas when given no choice.

Glacier is 24' so pretty big, but same size as maybe a 4x4 truck class c unit, like Xplorer or Serro Scotty. I think the ultimate compromise is probably going down to a Chinook Concourse with nicer finishes close to the Glacier and shorter 21' length. When you compare the features of a Glacier to a Concourse. The Glacier has a few high end things extra but the main things you need are in the same space main loss for my lady is a dry bath in Glacier. I do love the Glacier finished in leather and the comfy looking captain chairs they installed it does seem like a nice place to spend some time. Our budget is $30k-$75k I can do some build aspects but really I do spend lots of time doing projects on our rental properties so would like something pretty turn key.

The must have list for me & lady:
4x4
pass-through for dog especially if single cab
tow 5000# in the rockies
north - south or similar non-disturb sleeping arrangements (my lady really crabby if she gets woke up better to let the angel rest)

The want to have list:
Dry bath
Fuel efficient diesel engine without DEF
LSD rear axle
Oven
Solar
Truck chassis preferred
Yadda yadda

86scotty

Cynic
Having had several camper vans and RVs and taken them all places I probably should not have, I'll never have another RV offroad. Not a mass market RV I mean. I paid particular attention to one thing you said, washboard. For this reason alone, plus your towing plans, I would strongly consider a truck based camper with a small/closable pass through. I'm meaning pickup chassis cab with something on the back. The constant rattles from every van I've had and most certainly my lifted RVs were enough to split up a family. Just constantly unnerving and frustrating. They are all this way, except perhaps an Earth Roamer/Cruiser type rig.

If you have the means to build or acquire this you'll get OEM 4wd durability and more towing capacity than anything else, plus you can close the door to the noises coming from the back while going down the road. You'd like to think that Sportsmobile and some of the other marketed offroad type vans/RVs were immune to this but not in my experience. If you are within earshot of anything built of wood containing all of your gear it's going to rattle, shift, etc.

I fondly remember one particular night trying to get to a campsite after dark near the Tetons. We knew the place but recent rains had made the road muddy and rutted. I had a 2wd dual rear wheel Class B plus thing (Itasca Cambria). My wife spent the last 30 minutes of a very long day running around the back holding cabinet doors and drawers shut, picking up their contents, screaming at me for simply trying to navigate the road, getting seasick and generally cursing my existence. Good times.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I have a Concourse, 2wd but lifted with suspension improvements AT tires, winch etc. It is set up for forest service and back dirt roads, due to east coast being heavily wooded the height and width are biggest limiting factor. I do not "wheel" or go mudding with it but set-up is really good for muddy & snowy slippery areas.

The Glaciers bathroom will be much more comfortable but I would be concerned about off roads twist messing up slide out tracks etc.

Have you considered a Provan Tiger Bangel? It might hit all you buttons and patience should get you one on upper end of budget, pus these are better off road than Chinooks.

rawtoxic

Provan Tiger is probably the best fit just haven't had chance for right one or the desirable ones are gone in a day. I went to Vegas and looked at the one but it was too beat for me.

Deshet

Adventurer
I haven't read all the other post. But I have owned a Born Free 4x4 and larger vehicles that were 4x4. Of course it isn't a Jeep but the 4x4 definitely comes in handy. Most people aren't considering rock crawling with a 4x4 van but it can definitely do trails hill climbs and and most common sense obstacles.

At the end of the day you have to figure out what you want to do with it and what places you want to get to.

Of course everyone's financial situation is different but if the conversion costs are a drop in the bucket then it definitely makes sense.

You could also install a rear locker and a pretty good winch and do most of what you want to do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles