2004 Chevy 6.0 Gasser- Aux fuel tank, just use a new " Diesel Tank" ?

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
My truck has the small 25 gallon tank. It can be hard to find under bed aux tanks for gas. Other then it not being 100 legal for DOT- any harm in just getting a new diesel tank and using it with my gas rig? I know its been done, just not company approved. I am well aware of the differing flash points of diesel and gas, but not worried about it in this context. I am in Oregon, and dont have to worry about smog or emissions tests.

Thoughts?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
As far as I know, tanks are tanks as far as the materials used. There are some possible differences in the pick-up area (but I doubt it). I have done the dual tank thing with my previous 80 series LC and I know that you can get a extra GM tank cheaper, but I much prefer the one larger tank. Having said that, if I could have fit one in; I would have added a second tank to mine. I like the 52 gallons, but I would have like another 10-15 gallons for that emergency feel good.

I don't blame you for wanting more fuel; GM's 26 gallon tank is a joke on these trucks.

Jack

Wilbah

Adventurer
Yetti what bed length do you have? The '05 1500HD had a 34 gallon tank and I'm guessing that might fit? Might need to have some different brackets so I'd spend some time looking at them. But it's not a totally diff body style or anything. I would see if you could get one from a boneyard somewhere then with either purchased/fab bed brackets I would bet you'd be gtg.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-p...wMC1oZCZ5PTIwMDUmdD1iYXNlJmU9Ni0wbC12OC1nYXM=

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Wilbah-

Good call! It's a short box, so was stock 6.5 feet, 7.5 with the flatbed. The long box's had 34 gallon stock....so I bet if I found one that could fit, I could program the stock computer for it. And way cheaper then the 1k+ Titan tanks. And could squeeze another 100miles or so out of a tank.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Wilbah

Adventurer
Wilbah-

Good call! It's a short box, so was stock 6.5 feet, 7.5 with the flatbed. The long box's had 34 gallon stock....so I bet if I found one that could fit, I could program the stock computer for it. And way cheaper then the 1k+ Titan tanks. And could squeeze another 100miles or so out of a tank.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

I "sort of" like the Titan stuff but waaaay to spendy in my mind. No thanks!

I'm betting you could find a way to make that work. Might be worth looking at some of the older versions that had tanks on both side? I dont know but maybe you could get one on the other side too....then you'd have some serious range!

Back in the day I had a 40 gallon spare tank in the bed of my Chevy SB K10, gave me 56 gallons total which was awesome. Then I couldn't out drive the tank on long trips. Definitely need more fuel with some of those. But I like figuring how to do it under the bed so you dont lose a ton of storage capacity.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
That's the thing, the titan so crazy expensive-and finding one used, is about a zero chance. I could probably bolt a steel tank under the flatbed somewhere, or build something in. But would kind of prefer just one tank-although now I'm being picky

CCH

Adventurer
I don't know how much the tanks have changed over the years, but my 2013 2500HD 6.0, ext cab, short bed has the 34 gallon tank. Depending on driving conditions, I can get about 475 miles out of it. As it fits a short bed, maybe one could be adapted to an older truck?

Wilbah

Adventurer
This may help your fitment options. Of course with the flatbed it may change. But this is the upfitter diagrams for 2005's and you can see the dimensions to know what alternatives might fit etc. Some of the early pages give you a breakdown of layouts. But especially pages 173 and 174 have the distinctions between 26 and 34 gallon tanks.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/111/2005_LD_CKFullSizeTrucksPickups.pdf

I didn't realize that prior link I posted was just the picture of the tank my bad....

the 2004 (26 gallon) and 2005 tanks (34 gallon) share the same part # for straps so maybe the difference between them is only the length either front or back of the tank itself? So maybe it would be plug and play (unless its to the rear and the axle hump gets in the way on the 34 gallon (but the upfitter diagrams seem to show more of the tank under the cab than I anticipated so who knows)?

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-...e/fuel-system-cat/fuel-system-components-scat

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/auto-...e/fuel-system-cat/fuel-system-components-scat

I'll shut the he** up now! ha! :)

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I learned during my build that gasoline and diesel effect some parts differently. Just make sure there are no plastic parts that the gasoline might destroy. The reason they don't make aux gasoline tanks are due to government regulations. Have you thought about an aftermarket fuel cell?

IMG_0356.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I don't know how much the tanks have changed over the years, but my 2013 2500HD 6.0, ext cab, short bed has the 34 gallon tank. Depending on driving conditions, I can get about 475 miles out of it. As it fits a short bed, maybe one could be adapted to an older truck?
I have the same gen truck, short bed. We have a 36 gallon tank I believe.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I have a Flow Transfer fuel system on my 4WD van using the original stock fuel tank and an additional fuel tank mounted under the chassis where the spare tire was originally located. This system works seamlessly transferring fuel from 1 tank to the other with no input from the driver and a convenient digital fuel capacity readout mounted on the dash. Total on-board fuel capacity is now almost 70 gallons of gas. This fuel system that was installed on the van when new at Quigley along with the 4WD conversion.

Here is a link to other Flow Transfer fuel tank options. Very "Spendy" however it is something to consider!

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/replacement-fuel-tanks

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Thanks guys, the 34 gallon tanks have to go under the cab more. I still have no idea why the crew cab/short box shrinks the tank, I cant find a good reason why. I have thought about an aftermarket fuel cell, or an auto transfer system but kind of want to keep it as " stock< simple" as I can. She has 250k miles on her, I have developed a appreciation for stock engineering and keeping things simple.

I have a few more things to look into, ill work on a project this week to plasma cut the steel deck of the flatbed and bolt a wood one down, this will help with access. Whatever I do to increase fuel range I will post here.

And ill be moving my spare to the stock spare location, so that takes that option out.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
I’ve seen guys around me get those tool box fuel tanks and bed mount fuel tanks for filling equipment up and rigging them into the fuel filler. Just make sure whatever tank you get is rated to hold gasoline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior