2004 8.1 Yukon

Fierokid

I actually bought the suburban with the supercharger on it, so I cant compare to a stock 8.1L. I've put about 10K since I've owned it. I mainly use it for towing my camper. But I've towed a dump trailer with loaded with concrete (scaled at 10K of concrete +4K of trailer) and I wasn't slowing anyone down at stop lights. I've also had a 4door duramax on an equipment trailer with the same results. But my typical weights is my camper that's around 7-7.5K loaded so fairly light in comparison and I can set the cruise at 80 and she doesn't downshift for the hills.. unloaded I have a hard time keeping rear tires from spinning. She's definitely fun but she drinks premium. I'm sure I can get better MPGs if I kept my foot out of it, but I like the way she sings to me. My best MPG was cruise at 80 with a tent trailer (that probably didn't touch the ground) going from ogden Utah to duchesne utah (lots of ups and downs) and I got 15. My worst was that same road and speed with my 7.5K of real camp trailer at 5mpg. And an unloaded average of 9-10 if I'm lucky. I've got a halfassed dual exhaust that I want to redo when I can afford some headers for it and have an exhaust shop do it up right. I'd imagine thatd really open her up but unsure how it will affect the mileage. Theres a few other things I need to do with the supercharger before I can really tune it right and get some real gains from it but I'm very happy with how she performs (until the gas light comes on) I would like to test drive a stock 8.1 just to see what the difference really is especially towing my same weights.

lilkia

The 8.1 comes with pretty decent exhaust except for the 2 into 1 muffler. I think its all 3" tube. Headers will definately help it breathe, the stock manifolds are pretty restrictive.

60beforetruck

Just put a Raylar 203 cam in my 04 burn. Tuned it with HP tuner and uped the line pressure on the trans just a little. It drives way better. Set of JBA headers are next.
Has for auto ride I have been trying to find somebody to reprogram my BCM and take the code out so I can remove the SCM and all the autoride stuff. ( Straght axle going in.)

If anybody knows somebody that can remove the RPO code from the BCM that would be great.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Do you not realize that changing keys are the exact same thing as cranked bars? Its the exact same thing. Whether you crank the bolts up on the existing keys or swap to new clocked keys it twists the Tbars which rotates the lower control arm down. There is absolutely no difference in ride at all between the two. In fact new keys allow you to crank the bars even further which would make it ride even worse according to you. So which is it new keys ride better or worse? You obviously have no experience with either.
Pardon me sir. I have no focking clue according to you. I'll be bowing out to your superior intelligence on this matter. You win.

RedF

Adventurer
The 8.1 comes with pretty decent exhaust except for the 2 into 1 muffler. I think its all 3" tube. Headers will definately help it breathe, the stock manifolds are pretty restrictive.
Is the factory muffler a restriction? Flo-Pro exhaust is just up the road from me, and they offer a direct replacement. Plus I would mind letting the big block sing a little.

Are shorty headers worthwhile? Or long tubes only?

hbabler

I’ve always been told that it’s not really a restriction. Also since the firing order is different it doesn’t sound like a “normal” BBC not bad in my opinion but different.

lilkia

Just put a Raylar 203 cam in my 04 burn. Tuned it with HP tuner and uped the line pressure on the trans just a little. It drives way better. Set of JBA headers are next.
Has for auto ride I have been trying to find somebody to reprogram my BCM and take the code out so I can remove the SCM and all the autoride stuff. ( Straght axle going in.)

If anybody knows somebody that can remove the RPO code from the BCM that would be great.

I have been told if you unhook the battery and then pull the fuse when you reconnect it wont throw codes. If that works you may then be able to remove the SCM.

lilkia

Pardon me sir. I have no focking clue according to you. I'll be bowing out to your superior intelligence on this matter. You win.

Its not about winning. I asked you to explain how one made the ride crappy and the other didnt when they are the exact same thing. If you say one makes it ride terrible and the other doesnt, explain why.

06Burb

06Burb

I wanted to have my BCM reprogrammed also to have the code removed. I found thru some digging that the system can be permanently disabled by 1st disconnecting the battery, 2nd remove the RST fuse in the front fuse box, 3rd disconnect the pink plug on the controller in the back by the rear blower, then reconnecting the battery. I installed 5100 shocks and removed all 4 level sensors. No need to install resistors, and never had any lights or warnings in the DIC. Going on 3yrs now.

60beforetruck

I wanted to have my BCM reprogrammed also to have the code removed. I found thru some digging that the system can be permanently disabled by 1st disconnecting the battery, 2nd remove the RST fuse in the front fuse box, 3rd disconnect the pink plug on the controller in the back by the rear blower, then reconnecting the battery. I installed 5100 shocks and removed all 4 level sensors. No need to install resistors, and never had any lights or warnings in the DIC. Going on 3yrs now.
Pink plug rear blower? Where is that?

RedF

Adventurer
There’s no greasing with unit bearing hubs.

Technically, you're correct, but they can be greased thru the ABS sensor hole. They are notoriously dry. I added grease to the unit bearings on my 05 Silverado.

On a different note, this morning the HVAC chose the "face" vents, but still won't respond to the controls.

Changed the oil today, but didn't run it long enough to get it hot. I put in conventional 10w30 and a Wix oil filter.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Technically, you're correct, but they can be greased thru the ABS sensor hole. They are notoriously dry. I added grease to the unit bearings on my 05
Well I’ll be damned, it looks like you’re right.

As for oil I’ve always used synthetic, -33f is hard on stuff. I always use wix filters too. My 6.0 uses a little oil but nothing crazy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles