2004 2WD Chevy Tahoe, what are my options.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
This demonstrates the difference between an OPEN rear differential, LIMITED SLIP rear differential and a LOCKING G80 rear differential in both rear wheel drive and 4x4.

MTVR

k2Mpez1.jpg

SJwJReZ.jpg

ifUt6QY.jpg

cqfcdKN.jpg

I now have a Detroit Locker and will never have anything else in any of my off road trucks.

I edited the above quote for clarity. I guess you have to click on it to see the whole thing...

roving1

I always wondered how a G80 worked. Seems like a horrible compromise with terrible characteristics that get worse exactly at the worse time. I would rather have a helical LSD diff or a lunchbox locker in a second.

MTVR

I always wondered how a G80 worked. Seems like a horrible compromise with terrible characteristics that get worse exactly at the worse time. I would rather have a helical LSD diff or a lunchbox locker in a second.

I don't care for the Gov-Lock, and I think we've covered why. Other clutch-type LSD units have similar challenges.

Nothing wrong with a worm-drive diff like the Quaife, especially for a road car.

But for off-road driving, and especially for the types of off-road driving that we are likely to do, I would prefer a ratcheting diff like the Detroit Locker, or any of the drop-in units like the one you mentioned, for the REAR drive axle. They're simple, strong, they 100% work all the time (even if one wheel is off the ground), and they don't break parts like the Gov-Lock does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior