2003 Unimog U500 with Coachmen camper, BaT auction 5/31

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Not sure how you would pull off to side of road to go to the bathroom.
Looks like a 6 foot ladder sticking out on driver’s side?

ExpoMike

Yeah, really don't understand why people in the US put the camper door on the driver side. It has to be one of the dumbest ideas as it makes getting in and out when parked on the side of the road, a real pain and on a narrow road, dangerous. Is it so hard to get out of the drivers door and walk around the front of the truck to the pass side camper door.....

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Yeah, really don't understand why people in the US put the camper door on the driver side. It has to be one of the dumbest ideas as it makes getting in and out when parked on the side of the road, a real pain and on a narrow road, dangerous. Is it so hard to get out of the drivers door and walk around the front of the truck to the pass side camper door.....
From the BaT auction:
The camper cabin was reportedly adapted from a Coachmen aluminum-frame unit
So they took a trailer and flipped it around so the pointy end was at the back for looks. (I'm not agreeing with the idea, just explaining)

ExpoMike

From the BaT auction:
The camper cabin was reportedly adapted from a Coachmen aluminum-frame unit
So they took a trailer and flipped it around so the pointy end was at the back for looks. (I'm not agreeing with the idea, just explaining)

Ah, that makes a lot more sense.

This auction just ended at 151,000 and did not reach the sellers reserve. This build makes zero sense. The Unimog is built to go anywhere so why would you put a chopped up travel trailer on the back? Oh and it's put on backwards which is why the door is on the wrong side for the US. That travel trailer was designed to sit in a paved trailer park. It will last about 2 weeks of serious off-roading before it shakes itself apart. It's also about 3.5 feet too long. The excessive overhang would mean denied entry into most other countries.

DRAX

Yeah, I'm not sure what the owner was thinking. That Coachmen box/interior is going to get destroyed off-road, not to mention it's simply not a 4-season box. No A/C, either. Gonna freeze in the winter and roast in the summer. Those vertical propane tanks mounted horizontally are also a functional and safety hazard in terms of use as well as transport. I'm rather certain it's a DOT violation to transport any vertical-use propane tank on its side if it's not empty because the pressure relief valve would end up releasing LP instead of LPG in the event of an over-pressure condition. You won't find any legit source that will say it's ok to transport, let alone use, a vertical propane tank on its side. I feel like this 'Mog is a "COVID Special." Someone with money to burn thought they could build their own expedition rig for relatively cheap, maybe got some use out of it, and then decided to milk the market and hopefully snag a buyer that doesn't know any better. They probably would've had better luck removing the cheap box and related parts before trying to sell the 'Mog, save the buyer the hassle of trying to figure out how to dispose of or sell it as it takes away from the value of the vehicle, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles