2003 Tundra AC, Finally posting a thread!

rickashay

Explorer
No need for new bolts unless there is visible damage.

I disagree here. Minimal cost for an extra bit of security - I'll take it everytime. Bolts do fatigue as there are cycled. I know the cycle count is minimal and shouldn't be a problem but it doesnt mean I wont replace mine every single time I replace the LBJ's. Totally concur on proper installation though, chasing and cleaning threads, loctite, and proper torque is absolutely essential.

Replace your LBJ's regularly Tundra owners! :)

Climbermac

Observer
Well I now have two 4.7's sitting in my driveway... I need to make some adjustments and move over a few goodies but the Tundra is officially going on the market: sale thread to follow shortly. Any PM's are welcome.

Last edited:

pirates712

Sorry to hear you're selling the Tundra. I just skimmed through this thread and I didn't see you address what you had to do to fit the 285's. Did you trim the pinch weld? Also, what tire size would you recommend for a rig that mostly sees 'normal truck use', i.e. trips to the home improvement store with occasional longer highway trips, but is not a daily driver? I'm trying to decide between 285/75r16 and 265/75r16.

Climbermac

Observer
I made so many modifications to the suspension over the years I'm honestly not sure at what point I moved to 285's. All I've ever really done to the pinch weld is grind it down a good bit and beat it up with a BFH. I was about to tub the front for 35's and delayed due to family issues. Now I will pass that decision on to it's future new owner. The 285's are great on the present suspension but 35's would also be an awesome upgrade as it's already on 4.56 R&P.

For your rig, the issues with 285's are less the pinch weld and more gearing and suspension. I am not sure if you can run that large on stock coils, do some searches, but you will likely be very unhappy with the power band if you don't gear up. 285's are a 4% jump in circumference over the 265's, it really will make a difference in the skinny pedal if you go to large without gearing.

YMMV

michel77

Adventurer
Well, I wanted to check in on this thread for those that have been following along. This awesome Tundra has found a new home in the Pacific Northwest. Just picked her up and drove back from NM to WA in 2 days with a few quick naps along the way.

What a great rig, it's a huge step up coming from an '89 Pickup and I couldn't be happier. I have really no immediate plans for the build since it is all done and ready to go so I'll check in with our new adventures along the way!

IMG_5799.jpg

MobTuff

Observer
Well, I wanted to check in on this thread for those that have been following along. This awesome Tundra has found a new home in the Pacific Northwest. Just picked her up and drove back from NM to WA in 2 days with a few quick naps along the way.

What a great rig, it's a huge step up coming from an '89 Pickup and I couldn't be happier. I have really no immediate plans for the build since it is all done and ready to go so I'll check in with our new adventures along the way!

View attachment 394927

Very cool. I too have a Tundra I'm starting to build out. If you ever have the time I'm considering the same front bumper/lights and would love to see more pictures from different angles. Congrats on the purchase. Also what do you use the two front antennas for?

AaronK

Explorer

View attachment 394927
Good to see the local tundra population increasing. I'm just south of you near Tacoma. You should bring your prize to the schooner exact brewery next Wednesday at 6:30

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

michel77

Adventurer
Very cool. I too have a Tundra I'm starting to build out. If you ever have the time I'm considering the same front bumper/lights and would love to see more pictures from different angles. Congrats on the purchase. Also what do you use the two front antennas for?

I can get some more pictures at some point, sure. 2 Antennas are CB and HAM.

michel77

Adventurer
Good to see the local tundra population increasing. I'm just south of you near Tacoma. You should bring your prize to the schooner exact brewery next Wednesday at 6:30

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Cool, nice to see some more locals around! I'm actually on Orcas Island these days, so it's a bit of a trip to Tacoma.. But I'll keep an eye on local meets for sure!

AaronK

Explorer
Cool, nice to see some more locals around! I'm actually on Orcas Island these days, so it's a bit of a trip to Tacoma.. But I'll keep an eye on local meets for sure!
Schooner is in Seattle. Georgetown area. Still a bit far from orcas though

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94