2003 Tahoe Build - Family Overland Rig

Rig looks good! I can't tell from the picture but to help the wobble on my bike rack/Rigd carrier combo I run a ratchet strap from the top of the rack through the spokes on the spare tire and it helps a lot. Don't have any pics of it though...

03tahoe

Thanks all, it's been a work in progress, and for the most part I've been happy with the modifications and capabilities. I do somewhat regret going to a 34" tire, since that mostly caused more issues than benefits. But hey, hard to resist larger tires right (especially after I got 4.10 gears). For the bike rack that's a great idea about the strap back to the spare tire. I'll try that out on our next longer trip.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Thanks all, it's been a work in progress, and for the most part I've been happy with the modifications and capabilities. I do somewhat regret going to a 34" tire, since that mostly caused more issues than benefits. But hey, hard to resist larger tires right (especially after I got 4.10 gears). For the bike rack that's a great idea about the strap back to the spare tire. I'll try that out on our next longer trip.
How do you like the 4.10s? I'm still on 3.73s on my 06 Sierra 1500, 6" lift on 35s. I keep hearing "don't fear the gear." I'm thinking of 4.10s, maybe even 4.56s.

03tahoe

I re-geared for three reasons:
1) The orginal 3.73 front differential was making lots of noise in 4-auto and 4wd (I never figured out what was causing it, but replaced the whole unit with a 4.10 front differential from a ~100k mi. Suburban, along with the rear axle from the same 4.10 factory geared Suburban)
2) Many camping and day trips include rapid 4,000-ft elevation gains, so getting into the power band is nice and hopefully easier on the 4L60e.
3) For off road in 4low it's nice to be able to go just that much slower, especially down hills.
It also turns out that 4.10 gears together with 285/75R17 (~34") tires is essentially the same as the stock final drive ratio. Bottom line, I would recommend re-gearing with the 5.3L and anything over 33" tires, especially if the truck is used off-road or on steep roads.