• 255/85 R16

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • 265/75 R16

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Thanks for all the input guys. :sunflower

Since it's confirmed that it is possible to fit a 255 in the spare location, it all comes down to this for me:

Is the loss in power of the 255's out-weighed by the benefits that I will recieve off-road? Does an extra inch of ground clearance (I believe it comes out to less than an inch in reality) out-weigh the extra challenges assosiated with the larger tire?

Based on everyones feedback and all the information that I have collected I feel the answer for my application is no.

While I really want the larger tire, I think that for how I use my truck I will be better with 32's for my next set. A lot of my time is spent on highways getting to my destination and now with a canoe being on the roof most of the time it's going to slow me down even more through the mountain passes.

So if you disagree - please try to change my mind!!!

Pete

Scott Brady

Founder
I recommended a properly balanced solution. A 255/85 with stock gearing is not a balanced and effective solution IMHO. Even with the 5-speed, OD will not be very usefull. Low range suffers and the transmission (automatic) will hunt really bad between 3rd and 4th.

The 265 is actually a great tire for moderate trails and long distance travel. A good compromise and greatly reduced investment overall.

Seeker

Adventurer
I have a set of 255/85's on my 5-speed Taco Xtra cab and, while there is a noticeable difference in acceleration, I find it tolerable. Of course, I'm not (yet) loaded to the hilt like these guys are b/c my truck is still a daily driver, but once it is, you can bet I'm regearing. My biggest issue with the 255's is that I still haven't gotten the front to stop rubbing. Guess I haven't been aggressive enough with the hammer!

Willman

mountainpete said:
William,

Where do you keep you spare? And is it size matched?

Pete

DSC01463.jpg

Its a full-size spare!

Willman

Seeker said:
My biggest issue with the 255's is that I still haven't gotten the front to stop rubbing. Guess I haven't been aggressive enough with the hammer!

What type of rims are you running..back spacing? And have you done the pinch weld mod yet???

Seeker

Adventurer
Willman said:
What type of rims are you running..back spacing? And have you done the pinch weld mod yet???
They're the typical black steel, Rock Crawlers, 16x8 w/ 3.75" back spacing. Easy to get, cheap and non-bling.

I took out the pinch weld and that helped, until dropped the front down a bit. Then I took a hammer to the inside of the wheel well and that helped, until I dropped the front down again. It only rubs at or near the steering lock. I think, at this point, I need to eliminate the bottom-most, rear portion of the front fender flares, do a little more hammering on that "step" that protrudes in the bottom, rear of the well and I'll probably be good.

P1, like the bumper! I have a full-size spare and will be doing something similar soon.

oly884

Living in Montana, highway speeds are 75 mph, I have no issues going that fast every day with stock gears.

Maybe some day when I have a third arm and a third leg, er fourth leg, I can regear along with an ARB.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
oly884 said:
Living in Montana, highway speeds are 75 mph, I have no issues going that fast every day with stock gears.

Maybe some day when I have a third arm and a third leg, er fourth leg, I can regear along with an ARB.

You're going to use stock gears with the FWC after you get it mounted?

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
flyingwil said:
You'll see the difference in the speedometer, though, and gas mileage will decrease some (~2MPG).

Can someone explain the loss on MPG? Intuitively, this doesn't make sense. :confused: With the 255s, in 5th gear, on the freeway, I will be turning less RPMs than if I have regeared to 4.88s or 5.29s. Shouldn't the mileage be better?

oly884

BajaTaco said:
You're going to use stock gears with the FWC after you get it mounted?

Yup, that is until I graduate and get on salary at my job right now, then gears will be in order with an ARB in the rear, not sure about the front though. Gearing is prefrence, I do plan on getting better gears, but I'm not going to just sit around waiting for the cash to get gears and get another set of crappy tires. I also prefer to have some taller gears due to the fact that the speed limits that I see around here are 70-75 mph.

The FWC weighs just a bit more than what my previous set up was, and I got around JUST FINE. I might be reading what you typed wrong, but I detect a condescending tone in your question.

Last edited:

Dave

Explorer
Ursidae69 said:
Can someone explain the loss on MPG? Intuitively, this doesn't make sense. :confused: With the 255s, in 5th gear, on the freeway, I will be turning less RPMs than if I have regeared to 4.88s or 5.29s. Shouldn't the mileage be better?

It's been my understanding that lower RPM's don't necessarily mean better MPG. I don't remember the details but at one time it was explained me and it made perfect sense.

One thing I've always been curious about is the difference in MPG due to speedo inaccuracy when changing tire sizes. With stock tires, my speedometer was off around 3-4 MPH. Does this mean my odometer was slightly off as well or does the odometer use something besides the speedo gear? If the odometer was off, then my MPG calcuations would have been off as well. Now with 265's, my speedo is dead on according to my GPS,. So while I'm seeing slight differences in my MPG with the larger tires, I'm curious if the difference is larger or smaller then what I think it is...but I'm not curious enough to run the numbers. ;)

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:

Think about riding a bike. You are cruising along, say 25 mph at 100 rpm on flat ground. In a taller gear you might be running 85 rpm at that same 25 mph. Up one more and you are at 60 rpm. One more up and now you are at 30 rpm. Your legs are spinning slower, but you are probably doing ten or more times the amount of work as when you were on flat ground, and hence burning more fuel.

The same holds true for the engine. Because it is running at a lower RPM it is working harder to maintain the same speed. Vehicles are designed to operate at a given speed/RPM combination for a balance of power and efficiency and gear and axle ratios are selected to accomplish that goal. Going to larger tires without compensating with bigger gears forces the engine to operate outside of its design range and requires more power for the same task, therefore more fuel is burned.

For example, a stock Trooper gets EPA 17 mpg city. Upping the tires to 285/75 is an 11.3% increase from stock. Gas mileage is now showing (odometer/gallons in) 14ish. Add back the 11% to account for speedo error and you have 15.4, still a 1.5 mpg drop because the engine is working harder to maintain speed.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
The Toyota V6 makes peak torque at 3,600 RPM It makes 80% of that torque at 2,800 RPM.

The engine is designed to cruise most efficiently around that RPM. Changing to a larger tire drops the RPM's at the same speed, so the engine is developing less torque and will be forced to downshift or kick out of converter lock up, all of which reduce economy.

My truck gained nearly 2mpg on the highway by changing from 4.10 to 5.29 with the 255/85's. The downside is a loss of high speed freeway travel. I cruise at 65-70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior