2003 Suburban project

Smileyshaun

Observer
I’ll assume that I have all the good RPO codes then ?
Other concerns:
1) Some say that they use some Ford torsion keys at low cost to raise the front end 1.5 inches, but it looks like there is no cost saving compared to buying the same from lift kits manufacturer, maybe I search wrong
2) Is the Ford key design different , like does it give more lift then the originals for same bolt adjustment ?
wondering why install Ford keys if similar ?
Thanks
Dan

I just went with the suspension maxx keys and am super happy with the amount of adjustability they offer .

eugene

Explorer
Well just... damn. Learned something new - thanks for that! I figured it was as much marketing as options, but that's pretty sad, even considering the 2500 is beefier.
I believe it uses to default to the floor lever transfer case rather than the push button too.

BigDan

Observer
Just ordered a rated 2-3 inches lift torsion keys & 2 inches back spacer ,,,,, at least a start
when installed , I ll take care of the shocks !
I wanted to get the wheels aligned to my specs ( more caster ) aniway ,

my 265/70/16 are almost new,,,,,,,will I go for 33 s now , will see !

Dan

BigDan

Observer
ok some pics ,
sorry it s dirty , too cold to wash it for now ......
notice that the tailgate is new, the previous owner had someone backup in it, ......

Attachments

• 6B0D7EFA-AB5E-4F3C-8D52-FDD527D4B3BE.jpeg
    6B0D7EFA-AB5E-4F3C-8D52-FDD527D4B3BE.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • C569ADB5-6D39-4656-B9B3-A65196199FE7.jpeg
    C569ADB5-6D39-4656-B9B3-A65196199FE7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 7EA36415-B347-4209-8796-80A11FA23F42.jpeg
    7EA36415-B347-4209-8796-80A11FA23F42.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
  • 224618A0-EF05-40A3-9151-774138C64A46.jpeg
    224618A0-EF05-40A3-9151-774138C64A46.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36

BigDan

Observer
I looked at others suburbans posts
how can someone know that it s a LTZ ?
I have the 7200 gvw rpo code C5Z
off road skid plates sport rpo NZZ
3:73 gears rpo GT4
Eaton gov lock rpo G80
hd brakes JC4 ( 7200 lbs)
front tow hooks rpo V76
hd trans oil cooler
trailer package Z82

but cant see any rpo code for LTZ
mine is a 2003

Jacobm

LTZ is mainly an interior trim level, but it didn't come about until the next generation of suburbans I believe. Yours would be an LS or LT, with LT being the higher trim level. Other than upholstery/HVAC controls/factory stereo I don't think it makes any difference, and certainly no difference to its off-road capability.

In regards to the RPO codes, looks like a decent place to start. Someone with more experience with the 1/2 ton G80s can chime in, but they can be broken easier than other auto-lockers according to internet lore. Same with the 4L60E transmission that came with the 1/2 tons, but not pushing it super hard and changing the fluid and filter regularly probably helps with that a lot. Same with having a good trans cooler, the factory ones aren't fantastic.

eugene

Explorer
I've read that about the G80. It locks when there is >100 rpm difference between the wheels so if one wheel starts spinning fast it will lock and after the wheels are locked for a bit they spin at the same speed so it unlocks, but is your still in low traction you can start spinning >100 rpm difference again and it will lock again. So it can hammer away locking and unlocking. Then if you do as a lot do and mash the gas its slamming the lock in harder. So the trick is if your starting to spin, don't mash the gas, let it get just barely above 100rpm and lock and unlock gently.

Bob Boyer

LTZ is a badge behind the back doors on the sides of my 2011. That's all. It's not in the codes and I don't know what the interior doodads which go into the "LTZ" package are, Dan. But they've got nothing to do with anything that matters, except possibly, to the wife...

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
I have the LT written on my registrations
it s quite loaded

BigDan,

LTZ is the newer 2007 on trim package in Suburbans. Yours is either LS or LT, but in reality it doesn't really matter, all the parts are so interchangeable.

Look around here, we have a great variety and probably the best GMT800 2000-2006 GM SUV support anywhere online. There is wide variety of different setups from my 37" tires and no lift (body spacers) to level kits to BurbOne's 2500 drivetrain in a 1500 and everything in between. Poke around, look for what you like and go for it.

Just remember you are building your truck to meet your needs and to make you smile every time you see it, we are just here to help encourage and motivate you closer to your goal.

NBafKgw.jpg

My 2000 Suburban with an 03 Avalanche front end and doors.

Good luck and post pictures, we like pictures!

BigDan

Observer
still waiting for my 2 inch level kit ( torsion keys & 2 inch back spacers )......takes much more time to ship these days ......starting to build a battery box with 1000w inverter and two 12v outlets.....
figuring my roof rack and solar panel setup .....100 watts panel + mppt .should be enough for my needs ...

anyone took off the roof A/C ducts and isolation , does it give worthy height space ?

BigDan

Observer
I received my lift kit ...... I ll install it soon ,

concerning the roof rack , I need your inputs and advices .
should I go full width or keep space for something else ,
I plan to install my 100 watts solar panel , I figure installing it at front portion of roof rack ( liftable ) unless advised not to do so ,,,,,
I have no experience with this type of build ......no budget to restart 2-3 times
thanks !

Last edited:

BigDan

Observer
2 inches lift installed ,,,the shocks are shut

what do you think of Ranchos RS55274 rear and RS 55268 front ?

I have Ranchos on my Jeep , quite satisfied ....

BigDan

Observer
Long time,
Torsion keys & 2 inches rear spacer installed ,had to change all 4 balljoints, Rancho shocks all around, what a great ride now , the shocks were shut....

I looked under rear floor section where the spare goes ....lots of space lost there ....
Id like to put the spare on the roof , anyone converted the rear floor section into storage ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94