2003 Silverado Z71 solid axle build

mccustomize

Explorer
Went ahead and put the Ax up on the inside of the roof rack, going to put the shovel on the other side, then the hi lift will go across the back so you can access it easily from the bed.
b81dd4283e9111e3826f22000a9f13e9_8.jpg

mccustomize

Explorer
Bashed on it a little today, steering wheel straight as can be, everything working good. All that's left to finish the front is re-gear and the front shaft, easy.Then I can start on the rear.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VTOLRN

Awesome looking truck. Subscribing to keep the ideas and motivation flowing to SAS my crew cab.

mizeide

Michael - Owner Wanderlust Overland
Any updates on this thing? Drool every time I read this thread. :drool:

loudz71

Awsome build! I followed your build on gmfs and got tired of all the pricks over there myself.
truck looks very capable of going anywhere!

mccustomize

Explorer
Small update, work has been extremely busy with hail season. But in the meantime I broke the rear pinion, so I upgraded to richmond 4.88s and a detroit locker for the rear. I will be ordering my front gears soon and then drop the front about an inch to get 4 wheel drive functional, stay tuned!

cyclic

Adventurer
Progress, I like progress.

I've got a little custom thing I'm doing on the suburban, hope to be done this weekend. You'll love it.
I need to find a cheap (99-06) disk rear axle assembly (3.73 gears) with parking brake cables to swap into my burb. Any good contacts?

P.S. Still loving the rims, look and function great!

mccustomize

Explorer
Try A1 partsmart in austin, they should be able to get you what you want.

I also got my truck tuned finally and a Nelson Fan Harness for my electric fans. Now I just need to find some LS1 fans.
The truck is a completely different animal after the tune, it will break the 37s loose on dry pavement. Some of my buddies are coming into texas next month and we are planning a work weekend on my rig, I have a decent list of some things I need to do...

Cut the front coils and reposition the air bumps to lose about 1.5 inches of height in the front
Add a long secondary leaf to the rear to gain some load carrying capacity and height
Drop the trac bar mount about 1 inch
Regear the front axle and replace the seals
Install my posi lock and front diff actuator
Lengthen the front shaft and check clearances
Finish my front bumper and paint it
Mount and wire my winch in the bumper
Build a rear bumper as well

I'm really thinking about building a swing out tire carrier for the rear, instead of putting my spare on the roof rack to gain some weight over the rear tires? But that does mean buying another $300 tire and $200 wheel, that dang never ending vicious cycle

cyclic

Adventurer
Skip the LS1 fans, get a fan set from a 05 and up truck, drops right in.
Definitely get that tire off the roof, truck will handle so much better. Go with a cheap rim and a full height tire, doesn't need to be pretty, just functional. I actually like the Tire Gate ones, sexy and functional.
You still haven't painted or mounted that winch yet?!? Bad boy, get to work.

And a little pic of my in process upgrade....................
EUeUGG.jpg

mccustomize

Explorer
Can't see your pictures at work, firewall, but my truck has the small 05 and older radiator, have to change radiators. I already have a set of 06+ efans for my other truck that is awaiting the bigger radiator as well. But I have bigger fish to fry with my truck. I have a spare 17" wheel but I'm going to purchase a matching one.

cyclic

Adventurer
Is it a match to the set you sold me?

/
/
/
/
And a couple finished (other than brake lines) pictures.............

Xi1WRQ.jpg

jrLrEl.jpg

pvlxfN.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles